Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

What would you pay?

It is 3 yrs old for the frame. The DA 9 is about 10 years old and the mileage is unknown. Owner claims the frame has about 300 miles. I love this color- my favorite for Tommasinis. Called Tesi red with Champagne letters. Reminds me of Cardinal and Gold- Fight ON Trojans!!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
That'll be a sweet looking bike once cleaned up. The saddle, although nice, just doesn't look right with that bike.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I'm confused. Are you buying just the frameset or the whole bike?

I like the frameset, but that is about it so personally, I wouldn't pay that much.I'd want to get rid of the red rims and a lot of other stuff. Black stem but silver post? And unless I were getting a really cool older groupset, I wouldn't want 9 speed. For me Tommasinis are so nice and so rare that they deserve a really, really nice buildup.

I pretty sure those framesets are a few $1000, right? If it only has 300 miles you might get a good deal. I think the frameset has promise.

·
Registered
11,066 Posts
no love for the wheels, saddle, or stem (def needs a quill).

I'd have to factor all that into the price since I'd be replacing them.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I would buy the whole bike and sell off most of the parts. I think I can get $400-$500 for the groupset depending on mileage/wear and a couple hundred for rest not including wheels. The seatpost is supposedly a Ti Thomsen. J didn't know Thomsn ever made a Ti seatpost. Also the saddle is over $200 new right? I don't know Jack about that saddle but as mentioned, it just doesn't look right with bike. Can Heliums handle 11 spd clusters? The owner wants $1500. New, that frame is $2200. Used, they go for at least $1000. I am thinking yes, I need it!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That frame goes for around 600-900 used. So, if you want it and you are getting the whole bike for $800, I'd say you are getting a killer deal.

BTW, that is one of the best Italian steel bikes made. After you get it, your search for a steel bike is forever over.

·
Registered
372 Posts
raymonda said:
That frame goes for around 600-900 used. So, if you want it and you are getting the whole bike for $800, I'd say you are getting a killer deal.

BTW, that is one of the best Italian steel bikes made. After you get it, your search for a steel bike is forever over.
+1

I love my Sintesi.

The love affair started when I ditched the DA gruppo and swapped in a 10 speed Chorus gruppo.

I say, buy it right now, and start hunting for a Centaur/Chorus gruppo.

At the end of the day, I love my De Rosa Professional the most, but the Sintesi is a fabulous ride, that's for sure.

You'll never look back.

·
Registered
303 Posts
BUY IT RIGHT NOW. If it fits you that is. Decent used ones don't come up for sale that often. I have one and it's the best riding bike I have. Plus it's just plain fun to ride. At the price you are talking about it's well worth making it look more appropriate by selling parts and buying better Campy components.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I would buy the whole bike and sell off most of the parts. I think I can get $400-$500 for the groupset depending on mileage/wear and a couple hundred for rest not including wheels. The seatpost is supposedly a Ti Thomsen. J didn't know Thomsn ever made a Ti seatpost. Also the saddle is over $200 new right? I don't know Jack about that saddle but as mentioned, it just doesn't look right with bike. Can Heliums handle 11 spd clusters? The owner wants $1500. New, that frame is $2200. Used, they go for at least $1000. I am thinking yes, I need it!!
$1500 seems reasonable.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
the C&G... awooot-woo! acutually it's pretty dark, at least in those pics, more like 80s 3-stripe jersey cardinal, or one of nashbar's older complete road bikes. give up on the dean?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The rims are actually very nice, I have those myself, but they don't match the bike. It is always a bad idea to try to combine different shades of the same color.

It depends on how much you want the bike. If you really want it, you may regret letting it go... Try to work on the price with the owner if you can.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Love the frame, but the threadless fork and garish saddle just seem wrong.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FatTireFred said:
the C&G... awooot-woo! acutually it's pretty dark, at least in those pics, more like 80s 3-stripe jersey cardinal, or one of nashbar's older complete road bikes. give up on the dean?
Hey Fred, are you a fellow Trojan? Fight On!! (even if you are not) USC is stinking up the house in Monnesota. We are back to mediocrity! I am still waiting on the Dean. John the owner is telling me it is boxed up and ready to go. LOL! We shall see.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
Hey Fred, are you a fellow Trojan? Fight On!! (even if you are not) USC is stinking up the house in Monnesota. We are back to mediocrity! I am still waiting on the Dean. John the owner is telling me it is boxed up and ready to go. LOL! We shall see.

yeah... don't get me started, looking very hackettesque...

boxed and ready, that's a new one for me. I got tubes are being cut, jugs are full, in qa/qc, etc, etc, etc. tell him to send you swag for your wait- I got a couple pairs of socks, a few bottles, t shirt, stickers. you should get all that and a full kit, jersey and shorts, give him your size

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gomango said:
+1

I love my Sintesi.

The love affair started when I ditched the DA gruppo and swapped in a 10 speed Chorus gruppo.

I say, buy it right now, and start hunting for a Centaur/Chorus gruppo.

At the end of the day, I love my De Rosa Professional the most, but the Sintesi is a fabulous ride, that's for sure.

You'll never look back.
hey go!
I didn't realize you had a Tommasini Sintesi in your stable. IMO, you have one of the best collection of steel by any RBR member around (minstrie has some incredible steel bikes too). How many miles do you put on each bike? Yea, I want a De Rosa really really bad also.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ride-Fly said:
hey go!
I didn't realize you had a Tommasini Sintesi in your stable. IMO, you have one of the best collection of steel by any RBR member around (minstrie has some incredible steel bikes too). How many miles do you put on each bike? Yea, I want a De Rosa really really bad also.
Thank you. I have a nice bike or two. :)

That's a very nice Tommasini you are looking at!

I'd change a few things about her, but that's just me.

When I bought this Sintesi, we cleaned her up for this pic, then dismantled her.

On went the Campy Chorus.

I'll take some new pics when she is handy, but for now:

I had knee surgery in June, so my miles are way down this year, but I get to hop on each of the bikes pretty often.

The ones that aren't being ridden are slowly working there way out of my hands, and into new owner's collections.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RJohn said:
Well, have you bought it yet?
hey Richard, I haven't bought it yet. May do the deal tthis week. I can afford this bike purchase but I can't afford the 3 Campy groups I have to acquire for the retrofit and other builds. :(

1 - 20 of 65 Posts