Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
His bikes don't grab me (I've just left that retro aesthetic behind, although I can appreciate them for what they are), but his attention to detail and photography sure do. What a master and how great it is to know there are people out there who love this hobby the way he does.

G

·
terry b said:
His bikes don't grab me .
Like a knife through the heart! I'm wounded. I'm going to have to go the garage and surround myself with "retro" lugged goodness to get over it.

Like a knife through the heart I tell ya'

Barry, I know Ray's bikes very well. Check your PM's.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Art!

Amazing Bikes and even more amazing photography.

However I'm not sure that they are bikes in the true sense. Seems to me that they are more "Art" than bike.

I would never take one of those on the road!

G

·
Lifelover said:
Amazing Bikes and even more amazing photography.

However I'm not sure that they are bikes in the true sense. Seems to me that they are more "Art" than bike.

I would never take one of those on the road!
And yet Ray rides his, a lot.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
I'd like to build me a retro SS

toomanybikes said:
Like a knife through the heart! I'm wounded. I'm going to have to go the garage and surround myself with "retro" lugged goodness to get over it.

Like a knife through the heart I tell ya'

Barry, I know Ray's bikes very well. Check your PM's.
There's tons of them in PDX, I see them every where. You crack me up TMB, you know you wouldn't be so hurt if you had a Strong CX. :ihih: :ihih:
Classic Lugged steel is beautiful. way.

G

·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
There's tons of them in PDX, I see them every where. You crack me up TMB, you know you wouldn't be so hurt if you had a Strong CX. :ihih: :ihih:
Classic Lugged steel is beautiful. way.
You know that Mr. Strong has already told me that if I want a steel , LUGGED, CX he will be happy to build it ...................

·
1,144 Posts
that would be cool!

toomanybikes said:
You know that Mr. Strong has already told me that if I want a steel , LUGGED, CX he will be happy to build it ...................
A lugged Strong CX! That I would love to see, didn't know Carl did lugs anymore?
I sure wish some scratch would fall out of the sky, so I could order me up a Ti Strong CX.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
A lugged Strong CX! That I would love to see, didn't know Carl did lugs anymore?
I sure wish some scratch would fall out of the sky, so I could order me up a Ti Strong CX.
Steel...Lugged...Cross... sounds like Mike Zanconato to me. When looking at builders for my cross bike it came down to Carl Strong or Mike Zanconato. I decided on Carl because I chose TIG'ed Titanium as the material. If I had chosen lugged steel it would have been Mike with no reservations after having a nice initial conversation with him.

my .02,
singlecross

·
1,144 Posts
Hey Single CX

singlecross said:
Steel...Lugged...Cross... sounds like Mike Zanconato to me. When looking at builders for my cross bike it came down to Carl Strong or Mike Zanconato. I decided on Carl because I chose TIG'ed Titanium as the material. If I had chosen lugged steel it would have been Mike with no reservations after having a nice initial conversation with him.

my .02,
singlecross
I can't wait to see that Ti STrong CX of yours! When is that baby gonna be done?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
All in due time... I'm at 5 weeks right now since I sent Carl the deposit. Throw in Thanksgiving, the Holidays, New Year's and I'm probably looking at the end of January to be realistic. About 9 weeks total. Very reasonable considering the time of year and I told Carl I'm in no hurry. The build should go quickly without those pesky derailluers to clutter things up...

·
1,144 Posts
I can't wait!

singlecross said:
All in due time... I'm at 5 weeks right now since I sent Carl the deposit. Throw in Thanksgiving, the Holidays, New Year's and I'm probably looking at the end of January to be realistic. About 9 weeks total. Very reasonable considering the time of year and I told Carl I'm in no hurry. The build should go quickly without those pesky derailluers to clutter things up...
Make sure you PM me, and TooManyBikes, It will drive him crazy! :p

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
barry1021 said:
Ray Dobbins' collection is pretty well known but if you haven't checked his site recently, his Merckx Molteni is truly amazing. It's a whole new level of attention to detail.

http://raydobbins.com/

b21
Never heard of Ray Dobbins and wow! I'm blown away. Too bad he wheels and deals and sells them. Wouldn't it be great to see all these in a collection like Harrah's does for cars.

G

·
Sintesi said:
Never heard of Ray Dobbins and wow! I'm blown away. Too bad he wheels and deals and sells them. Wouldn't it be great to see all these in a collection like Harrah's does for cars.
It's a hobby to him and he is as nice a guy as you could want to meet.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Sorry for jacking your thread Barry, but since your a Strong/Moots in one week kinda guy I didn't think you'd mind......:rolleyes:
No problemo PSV, but after seeing all these great oldies but goodies, and listening to TMB, I am starting to feel funny, a little dizzy and lightheaded. I find myself thinking about six speed cassettes, downtube shifters, and old CInelli Bars. Am I... am I coming down with "retro fever"? I hope not, I understand there is a cure but it ain't cheap!! I need to get out to AZ and see the new gals pronto!!!!

b21

·
1,144 Posts
retro

barry1021 said:
No problemo PSV, but after seeing all these great oldies but goodies, and listening to TMB, I am starting to feel funny, a little dizzy and lightheaded. I find myself thinking about six speed cassettes, downtube shifters, and old CInelli Bars. Am I... am I coming down with "retro fever"? I hope not, I understand there is a cure but it ain't cheap!! I need to get out to AZ and see the new gals pronto!!!!

b21
I'd love to do a retro Single Speed, problem is I just don't know crap about them. those old steel beauty's are nice aren't they? Every time I see a lugged steel beauty it makes me want a Zank even more. :rolleyes: Jeez, couldn't I have picked a less expensive vice?

G

·
My work here is bearing fruit.

It fills me with joy to see these words on electronic paper.

You will not regret treating yourselves to a wonderful, vintage. steel ride.

I will be happy to answer any and all questions, likely next week when I get back from Mexico.

I don't really want to go, I would prefer to stay home and ride in the snow, skate, putter in my workshop, etc. But the girls want to go.

It seems whenever I get time off we are immediately going somewhere when what I would really like to do, sometimes, is just stay home and sleep in and eat a cheese sandwich and putter around the house. But the girls always want to go somewhere!

So dream up your questions and Lets get you guys on some up to this point, unloved, sexy older ladies.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It could be worse

Phat&SlowVelo said:
I'd love to do a retro Single Speed, problem is I just don't know crap about them. those old steel beauty's are nice aren't they? Every time I see a lugged steel beauty it makes me want a Zank even more. :rolleyes: Jeez, couldn't I have picked a less expensive vice?
You could collect brass HO model trains. Here's a pix of one from an internet seller. This little beauty will run you $3450, and you pretty much get to look at it on a shelf. Fortunately I broke this habit and so I don't feel so bad with my new addiction, at least I am getting healthy. I bought a old steel frame last year for a fixie build, haven't got around to it, but I love riding my Raleigh Rush Hour.

b21

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TMB without intruding on his privacy...

toomanybikes said:
It's a hobby to him and he is as nice a guy as you could want to meet.
can you add anything about him? Just looking at his workmanship and his detailed notes, he is obviously a unique person

b21

1 - 20 of 61 Posts