Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
but I'm not feeling it like I think I should. I've wanted one of these since 1963.....there was a Studebaker dealer on my paper route.

It's actually not a replica.

Replica Kit Makes Avanti 2 Door | eBay

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
I'd be inclined to think there are better cars to build replicas of. Having said that, that one was a nice job.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
That's an Altman and Newman Avanti. They bought the original tooling for the Avanti from Studebaker and built them through 1982. It's not a replica or a reproduction so much as what I would call a reissue. I don't think they changed much from the original design.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an Altman and Newman Avanti. They bought the original tooling for the Avanti from Studebaker and built them through 1982. It's not a replica or a reproduction so much as what I would call a reissue. I don't think they changed much from the original design.
You're right, Andy. Engine and trans are Chevy. The original 289 Avanti engine was 11 years old when the car was introduced in 63. Seats and GM tilt wheel are also different. Other than that, it's a 1963-4.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
I loved that car.I actually saw one a week or so back.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The two of three previous posts sum up 54 years of public response to the Avanti. But, love it or hate it, it doesn't look all that out of place today. How many cars from 1963 can you say that about?

I guess my hesitation to buying any classic car, is that imposes on my everyday activities and very few of them drive as well as a run of the mill Honda Accord.

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
The two previous posts sum up 54 years of public response to the Avanti. But, love it or hate it, it doesn't look all that out of place today. How many cars from 1963 can you say that about?

I guess my hesitation to buying any classic car, is that imposes on my everyday activities and very few of them drive as well as a run of the mill Honda Accord.
No, I think it looks very out of place today.

As for buying a classic, you don't buy it as your primary transportation unless you are a masochist.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,290 Posts
Consider "restomod" cars. Old look, modern running to whatever extent they made it be. For example:

Chevrolet 2 Door Coupe | eBay ($11k)

Ford Thunderbird Converible | eBay ($21k).

What you give up with the restomods is appreciation. They are not investments like originals, or actual restorations, but some of them (certainly at the low end) have a good chance to depreciate less than a modern car. You can get a great looking and good driving reliable car.... that you won't be afraid to use.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Consider "restomod" cars. Old look, modern running to whatever extent they made it be. For example:

What you give up with the restomods is appreciation. They are not investments like originals, or actual restorations, but some of them (certainly at the low end) have a good chance to depreciate less than a modern car. You can get a great looking and good driving reliable car.... that you won't be afraid to use.
My Mustang is a good, mild, example. It was born a 6 cylinder, now a V8 with disc brakes, electronic ignition and 5 speed overdrive transmission. While the engine is not as efficient or driveable as a new fuel injected engine, it is better than back in the day. The car stopped losing value years ago. :)

http://www.cardomain.com/member/a66coup289/

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
Always loved the looks of the Avanti. It had, and still has, true early 1960's Italian car flair.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Sorry, but that stuff does nothing for me. One of my best friends (he put a chassis under this 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne - Kustomrama ) could completely upgrade anything to 2016 state of the art, but if the styling was a yawner to start with it's a big engine and big wheels to me.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,290 Posts
Sorry, but that stuff does nothing for me. One of my best friends (he put a chassis under this 1955 Chevrolet Biscayne - Kustomrama ) could completely upgrade anything to 2016 state of the art, but if the styling was a yawner to start with it's a big engine and big wheels to me.
So, you object to the examples I provided, but not the concept? If so, then find a style you like and go for it. Nasty looking Avanti's can be had for around $4-5k.

Otherwise, you get modern (functional) or classic (always needing work) as your options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.