Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First crash. Road rash... lots of stuff (sand/gravel/etc) in my arm and above my eye... I put dissinfectant everywhere but there's still stuff in there v_v... Is this the kind of thing they take care of at the ER/urgent care? I kinda wanna go but I don't wanna seem like a pu$$y or get laughed at by the cute nurse :blush2: . I don't think I have it in me to pick out all the gravel stuff though... what I do?!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
If you can't pick it out yourself, go to the ER or urgent care. The material left in there is pretty nasty stuff. You can easily get a serious infection. If anything is left in the wound, it'll very likely show through the skin resulting in a "tattoo." As a former racer, I've got road tats on my arms, legs, hips, and one on my forehead. They ain't purty.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
what he said

One way or another, you need to get that stuff out. If you can see and reach all the areas, you can do it yourself if you can stand the pain. Maybe take a couple of ibuprofen, wait an hour, then scrub with a washrag with plenty of hot water, then go to work with the tweezers. I think you can do it. If you can't, get help. Maybe you have a friend who would enjoy torturing you for a while ;-)

And after you get it REALLY clean, use one of the "wet healing" type bandage products. It will heal faster and with less scarring. I've had great luck with this stuff:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I finally...

went in there... I'm glad I did, they scrubbed everything out (no way in h311 I coulda done this) and put actual bandages on there. I bought some gauze stuff at the store but none of it was what I thought it was and most of it was pretty useless. I tried to ask them if there was any way I might have a concussion (I was kinda dazed/blackout-ey/nauseous right after it happened... then when I got home, I apparently kept putting the ice cream back in the refrigerator >.<) but they were just like "well... maybe have someone wake you up every couple hours" so that part was less helpful than I'da liked it to be... but w/e it was ten dollars so oh well...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh and also!

The right-hand shifter/brake/handle (hood?) slid way over toward the center of the bike and the other one looks a little off too... nothing else obvious that I saw. I'm wondering though, should I take it to the LBS to fix/inspect or is there a way I can just slide both of them back into place? The fork and seat post are carbon fiber and I heard that you were supposed to have someone look at that stuff after a crash. Also, I broke my watch :mad: :cryin:

·
half-fast
7,403 Posts
If you are a Shimano STI user:

Peel back the brake hood. Carefully.

Look for the hex or allen screw head.

Loosen it, then slide the brake lever into position.

Tighten the screw.

Reposition the brake hood.

No coment on carbon bits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.