Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally happened. Landed a new gig.
Some might recall I got laid off the day after Labor day.

My life will be making a bit of a turn. Since being in 3rd grade I've wanted to be an architect. Until the fall that direction stayed. I've not always been thrilled with that path but I was good at what I did. It's always a challenge to divert. But that's just what I'm doing. I accepted an offer about a week and a half ago to join a financial planning company. It's been something I've always been interested on a personal level and never gave it really a though as a professional direction.

It isn't going to be an easy transition as I need to build my entire client base. I'm working on my series 6 exam right now that will allow me to trade in the primary market. (first issue investment such as mutual funds and initial offerings of stock)

I'm looking forward to helping people get a handle on their finances and hopefully help them sleep better at night and achieve goals like retirement.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Fantastic. You give me hope. Although... thats quite a while to wait. Good for you man.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Cool, congrats! Be diligent in building your client base, it's not an easy time to do that. And most of all, don't complain to the police about strippers biting your nipples.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congratulations. Personally, I can't imagine a job for which I'm less well-suited, but if it interests you, good for you.
Do you get paid while you're building a base? Some guy here set up a semi-phony financial planning company a few years ago and recruited heavily, with the promise of paying commission "as soon as the sales are verified." He hired a bunch of people. scored a couple of hundred thousand in two months and skipped. Nobody got squat

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
good luck, man.

only, now that you are not going to be an architect anymore, you will have to take "art vandelay" off of your business cards...

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
If you fail to lure a prospective client and the meeting has gone to $hit than just promise us you'll yell BEETS! and slam your hand down on the desk, then proceed to walk out.

(keeping in mind you can sub in other loungisms for BEETS)

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
ampastoral said:
good luck, man.

only, now that you are not going to be an architect anymore, you will have to take "art vandelay" off of your business cards...
I was trying to think of a Seinfeld joke earlier but couldn't think of anything good. Nice work and congrats to fleck for his new career.

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
Henry Porter said:
I was trying to think of a Seinfeld joke earlier but couldn't think of anything good. Nice work and congrats to fleck for his new career.
Get business cards printed with Art VanDelay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts