Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
As problems to have, I'd rather have that than all the problems of cars and their infrastructure we have in the USA.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I doubt the US will have this problem in my lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup.

Funny thing...

Yesterday in the paper there was a story about the local Department of Roads needing to spend $25,000,000 USD to redesign and rebuild just one intersection on the edge of town.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Not ever except for the 2 major cities, NY and Chicago. LA is too spread out for bicycle commute to be practical.

I've read an article about narrow cars as alternatives in the future due to its ability to double up the traffic flow in single lane.
Motor vehicle Tire Mode of transport Automotive design Vehicle

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
As problems to have, I'd rather have that than all the problems of cars and their infrastructure we have in the USA.
For sure! That would be a nice problem to have, versus the sturm und drang we have w/ cars.

Reactions: Lombard

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's already happening at a grocery store I frequent, not because of more or larger bikes, but because of more and larger stupidity on the part of bike owners who park lengthwise along a six-slot bike rack, thereby using four or five slots. :mad2:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Not ever except for the 2 major cities, NY and Chicago. LA is too spread out for bicycle commute to be practical.

I've read an article about narrow cars as alternatives in the future due to its ability to double up the traffic flow in single lane.
View attachment 314935
I laugh to myself when I see a Smart Car around here. Suburban Assault Vehicle bait those are....that little trike...tiny to the point of impracticality. Try doing a Wal-Mart omnibus family grocery run with one of those. Of course you cannot. How many people want to be multi-vehicle households, with multiple wheeltaxes and registrations and insurance owed? Simple economics will make them undesirable.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Try doing a Wal-Mart omnibus family grocery run with one of those. Of course you cannot.
Just because the width is shortened doesn't mean the length has to be shortened as well.

How many people want to be multi-vehicle households, with multiple wheeltaxes and registrations and insurance owed? Simple economics will make them undesirable.
I remember seeing stats on how many people are typically in 4 seat cars throughout US in average and it was less than 2. For such household, I don't see why not. Plus, if the legislators want to promote more energy efficient vehicles, they can revise the tax standard to per width of vehicle so something like half tax for half width.

The benefit of more traffic flow with already existing infrastructure is a big plus IMO. Have you been stuck in traffic on regular basis? I hate that no matter how roomy the car I'm driving is. Last I checked, in California, motorcycles are allowed to lane split (drive between cars) when the traffic is at certain speed, so there it is...

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I laugh to myself when I see a Smart Car around here. Suburban Assault Vehicle bait those are....that little trike...tiny to the point of impracticality. Try doing a Wal-Mart omnibus family grocery run with one of those. Of course you cannot. How many people want to be multi-vehicle households, with multiple wheeltaxes and registrations and insurance owed? Simple economics will make them undesirable.
well plenty of silly in one post so let's just go with one: "How many people want to be multi-vehicle households,...."
turns out that..... " Interestingly, while the mean number of vehicles in households is 1.9 personal vehicles, households in the United States on average have 1.8 drivers who are 15 years or older (table A-2). Thus, it appears that households on average have more vehicles than drivers. Not surprisingly, households with more members are likely to have more personal vehicles available for regular use. For example, single-person households average about one vehicle while households with two members average about two vehicles (figure 1, table A-3)."
Household, Individual, and Vehicle Characteristics | Bureau of Transportation Statistics
The answer to your question is: quite a few.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Just because the width is shortened doesn't mean the length has to be shortened as well.

I remember seeing stats on how many people are typically in 4 seat cars throughout US in average and it was less than 2. For such household, I don't see why not. Plus, if the legislators want to promote more energy efficient vehicles, they can revise the tax standard to per width of vehicle so something like half tax for half width.

The benefit of more traffic flow with already existing infrastructure is a big plus IMO. Have you been stuck in traffic on regular basis? I hate that no matter how roomy the car I'm driving is. Last I checked, in California, motorcycles are allowed to lane split (drive between cars) when the traffic is at certain speed, so there it is...
It might increase flow. It won't decrease congestion, more than likely. Build it and they will come, has been the lesson of every highway-widening project ever.

Most cars on the road are not HOV on a daily basis, no argument. Doesn't mean people want to give up the internal volume for something smaller that is easier to park with higher gas mileage, if they did people would be driving more Smart Cars or Fiat 500s or Minis and not SUVs. Same reason I keep my Mazda hatchback around even though I ride my bike more than I've driven this calendar year-I need something that'll carry bikes or lots of (bulky) stuff.

well plenty of silly in one post so let's just go with one: "How many people want to be multi-vehicle households,...."
turns out that..... " Interestingly, while the mean number of vehicles in households is 1.9 personal vehicles, households in the United States on average have 1.8 drivers who are 15 years or older (table A-2). Thus, it appears that households on average have more vehicles than drivers. Not surprisingly, households with more members are likely to have more personal vehicles available for regular use. For example, single-person households average about one vehicle while households with two members average about two vehicles (figure 1, table A-3)."
Household, Individual, and Vehicle Characteristics | Bureau of Transportation Statistics
The answer to your question is: quite a few.
2 cars, yes. Because adults tend to get married. And to be an adult in the USA you need a car, due to either sprawl or infrastructure or both. Both adults need practical vehicles capable of not only commuting but also family duty. That trike simply is not. This all ofc ignores snowstorms which that little thing wouldn't handle. It is a cute single-person commuter, but for $10,000 plus insurance and registration costs, and the inevitable need for a 4-wheel car in addition to it, it will not sell much in the USA.

Demographics are changing. Kids today don't want cars. They've woken up to the fact that cars suck. They eat money everywhere. There's never any parking. And they eat your income. Per-capita car ownership is at its lowest level in decades IIRC, will hit a floor soon. The USA is impossible to get around without a car in most places.

·
Not a climber
1,312 Posts
It might increase flow. It won't decrease congestion, more than likely. Build it and they will come, has been the lesson of every highway-widening project ever.

Most cars on the road are not HOV on a daily basis, no argument. Doesn't mean people want to give up the internal volume for something smaller that is easier to park with higher gas mileage, if they did people would be driving more Smart Cars or Fiat 500s or Minis and not SUVs. Same reason I keep my Mazda hatchback around even though I ride my bike more than I've driven this calendar year-I need something that'll carry bikes or lots of (bulky) stuff.

2 cars, yes. Because adults tend to get married. And to be an adult in the USA you need a car, due to either sprawl or infrastructure or both. Both adults need practical vehicles capable of not only commuting but also family duty. That trike simply is not. This all ofc ignores snowstorms which that little thing wouldn't handle. It is a cute single-person commuter, but for $10,000 plus insurance and registration costs, and the inevitable need for a 4-wheel car in addition to it, it will not sell much in the USA.

Demographics are changing. Kids today don't want cars. They've woken up to the fact that cars suck. They eat money everywhere. There's never any parking. And they eat your income. Per-capita car ownership is at its lowest level in decades IIRC, will hit a floor soon. The USA is impossible to get around without a car in most places.
I'm glad that kids these days aren't buying cars or driving. They can't keep their noses out of their phone for more than 2 seconds, so they'll be killing people en masse on the roads. Not exactly sure how they'll get around the suburbs without a car though...

Funny how it seems most people that are pushing for fewer cars and spending less money on roads/infrastructure generally live in or very close to big cities. I lived in the middle of DC and technically didn't need a car to do much of anything. We were right across the street from a grocery store and Target and directly above a metro station, so we could walk, bus, or metro anywhere. But I work 30 miles away and way outside the city, so the only way I'm getting there is by car. Sure I could change jobs or move closer to work, but I'm not changing my lifestyle just because you don't want me to have a car and don't want money spent making roads better.

Plus, some of us enjoy driving as a hobby in addition to commuting and generally going places more than 5 miles from my home. I've personally owned 2 vehicles at a time for most of my driving life because it's really expensive to find a vehicle that is sporty, fun to drive, and can also haul a bunch of stuff, tow a large amount, and get through a snowstorm when needed. Sorry if that doesn't fit your vision of the future.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, it will happen. All you need is a confluence of carless riders, a sense of entitlement, and confined space. There was a thread here not long ago about a large electric vehicle on a MUT. That's where you'll get the conflict, outside of certain bicycle-heavy enclaves.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Most cars on the road are not HOV on a daily basis, no argument. Doesn't mean people want to give up the internal volume for something smaller that is easier to park with higher gas mileage, if they did people would be driving more Smart Cars or Fiat 500s or Minis and not SUVs.
None of those are half width vehicle I'm referring to.

·
Registered
858 Posts
We have a Smart; its been on interstate trips, WalMart runs and vacations. It holds a weeks worth of luggage, food and junk for two people and actually rides fairly well for being so small. For a family of 2, a Smart is perfect. For a family of 3 or more, not so much but you would be surprised how many people have talked to me about the car in a favorable light.

What makes me laugh is seeing a big SUV or PU truck with tons of steel and empty seats commuting down the road. They are spending lots of petro dollars moving all that useless cargo space and unused seating. Most fun of all is spending maybe $15-$20 max ($14 today) for two weeks of commuting while Mr. SUV dumps $50 or more per week into their mass of steel and empty space.

We also have a medium size SUV (Nissan Xterra), but I just drive that when I am schlepping my bike, towing a trailer or toting cargo around. Or when my wife needs to drive, she prefers the Smart over the Xterra because it is about the easiest thing to park besides a motorcycle.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
We have a Smart; its been on interstate trips, WalMart runs and vacations. It holds a weeks worth of luggage, food and junk for two people and actually rides fairly well for being so small. For a family of 2, a Smart is perfect. For a family of 3 or more, not so much but you would be surprised how many people have talked to me about the car in a favorable light.

What makes me laugh is seeing a big SUV or PU truck with tons of steel and empty seats commuting down the road. They are spending lots of petro dollars moving all that useless cargo space and unused seating. Most fun of all is spending maybe $15-$20 max ($14 today) for two weeks of commuting while Mr. SUV dumps $50 or more per week into their mass of steel and empty space.

We also have a medium size SUV (Nissan Xterra), but I just drive that when I am schlepping my bike, towing a trailer or toting cargo around. Or when my wife needs to drive, she prefers the Smart over the Xterra because it is about the easiest thing to park besides a motorcycle.
Wait what? having two _different_ cars to use for different purposes instead of two similar? what a concept ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts