Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my diet and exercise plan. Getting a bit burned out. Not only did I not ride today on a beautiful sunny day, but I ate about 5,500 calories too much the past few days. Think I'm over-reaching a bit, I crave sugary food and I have no energy the past few days.

I know you've all been there with me, help me get back on the right path :)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
After a really hard couple of days ... or weeks ... I can get like this. For me, it's the early stages of over-training and my body telling me I need a bit of a break.

I went through this a couple weeks back after three weeks of:

Week 1: 15.5 hours and 285 miles
Week 2: 17.5 hours and 317 miles
Week 3: 17.5 hours and 325 miles

I took three days off the bike, ate a bunch of food and then got back on the bike. I started feeling better after the rest (and a 9 hour week on the bike) ... though the weather turned and sucked up until this week :)

So ... my suggestion ... take a small break and rest up, then get back on the bike :D

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
take a break.

this weekend the weather was beautiful. I slept in, skipped all the hammerfest rides and races, then lazily tooled around on the mtb in sneakers for maybe an hour. Sunday, repeated, this time w the daughter. Today, just a bike stroll over to mom and dad's place then home.

feels way better than another weekend of pounding away the miles and putting in efforts.

also:

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
If you're tired of riding, take a break. I look at riding as a license to eat/drink all I want.

That being said, basement issues and the $ to repair them might sideline me the rest of the year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe change up the exercise. Instead of biking go hiking or swimming. Personally, I've found when I fall off the wagon it's hard to get back on, so instead of doing nothing just do something different.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Check your morning resting heart rate, if its elevated its time for a break and some good food, resting now will be part of your training.
If you push through this it will be a negative that will take time to recover from.

Your doing nothing wrong but be active and still eat good, a couple beers won't hurt you but a case will.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Agree with others. The key here is to not let the lapse get to you mentally. You are obviously very focused right now and, mentally, worrying about the cheating will be worse than the actual cheating itself. Take a break, let it go, come back refreshed.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think it's seasonal allergies to go along with it. Very tired, no energy, sore eyes, achy. Training mainly for 100 mile mountain bike races this summer, and a marathon in October, so endurance over top speed. I know it'll be okay, just frustrating at times ya know?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I know how you feel, I hate it when I feel that way. Sounds more like getting the flu than allergies. I say give yourself a break to rest up and re energize, then you'll come back better than ever.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
5500 calories, man, that sounds magnificent. I could eat a whole
chocolate cake. Yeah, my allergies too, feels like someone swept
under the rug and the rug is my eyelids. Still trying to settle in on
my minimum target weight, haven't succumbed to the sweet tooth
but the "quality carbs" of vegetables, beans, nuts, etc. is getting old.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am at 1,750 calories a day, not adjusted for exercise. For 3 long days I have rested, and pretty much doubled my 1,750 a day number.

Today I felt better, so I ran at lunch 5 miles in 35 minutes, and it felt good. Probably ride about 90 minutes on the trainer tonight nice and easy since it's raining all day.

Rest is just as important as the exercise if not more so, but even the best of us get over-exuberant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This thread comes at a good time for me. I have been feeling like I am edging into overtrained, but if I am out walking or in my car and see someone riding, I feel jealous and guilty all rolled into one, like I should be out there getting after it... Even if I have already put in a training ride that day!

Great reminder that sometimes we do need a couple of days of downtime. And a little perspective. (And that Lampre pic - there's too much f***ing perspective now...)

·
Registered
172 Posts
i dont ride as much unfortunately as most people here. but i primarily weight train.
im the same way though. i try not to beat myself up to bad. im not even sure how many cal's i eat but a steady diet of chicken, hard boiled egg whites, greek yogurt, and more chicken will burn you out...lol i usually "cheat" one day a week. i dont go totally nuts and eat totally nasty, but usually a Big Mac meal or something like that is enough for me. especially when my body starts to reject it. then im back on the plan.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dont take this as advice and you seem like an experieced rider, but are you really training for 100 mile mtn bike races with just a 1750 a day seems way off, if you were pure dieting maybebut your endurance training, I don't know much about how to calculate what you would need but how did you determine that?

Might want to look at what your intake is to determine if you can make an adjustment that will keep from having to double it latter.

One thing that seems to work is when you are training never let yourself feel overly hungry ok to feel a little hingry (I always am) but eat what you need, cant imagine 1750 calories a day you can sustain legit training.

Eitheir way good luck what MTB races you running this year?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I am 145 lbs and my maintenance caloric intake is around 2200-2500 depending on my activity for the day. And I occasionally (about once a week) do "pig out" and eat 4000-5000 calories. I can do this with about 12 hours of riding per week.

I also do endurance races (8 hour solos) in addition to normal Ontario Cup races. And I am only providing this as a datapoint. Everyone is different. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.