Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My method was to lose control of my time trial bike at 30mph in a nasty crosswind gust, leave the roadway into a verge of head high grass, vault over the bars and plunge headfirst into a 2-foot-wide bedrock drainage canal parallel to the roadway. I wound up stuck head down among the discarded tires until my mates pulled me out. I'm sure I would have been just fine without my helmet. :rolleyes:

View attachment 277772

View attachment 277773

Reactions: Blackbeerthepirate

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have got to get one of those I Do My Own Stunts jerseys.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap, glad you are OK. How did your bike make out?
Surprisingly well. The carbon x-wing bottle carrier sheared off and the display of the Garmin 500 is toast (although, like a trooper, it didn't lose the data). Frame, wheels, saddle all fine, as am I apart from some truly minor abrasions. It could have been so much worse. I had no time to brace myself and no way to see what was behind the grass.

·
Banned
446 Posts
It sounds like you didn't bounce. Since you appear to have landed on your coconut be sure and watch yourself closely for a couple of days. Be suspicious of any blank periods that appear even if you can pass them off as dozing off. Remember that the majority of neurologists are not competent.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Glad you're alright. Every once in a while, it's not a bad idea to practice riding your TT bike in somewhat insane crosswind conditions. As light as I am, I gotta be careful about front wheel selection on days like that.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew I was asking for trouble on my deep race wheels, but we got home late from my daughter's science olympiad competition in Orlando and I didn't have time to switch over to the training wheels. I also didn't expect the wind to be as brutal as it was.

She did take 2nd in the state in one event though.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
LOL, try a HED H3D, Zipp disc, and be 120lbs. I do this once or twice a year for practice. Takes a lot of focus and a lot of core. If the gusts are 30+, I'll switch to an Enve 65. A Kask helmet like Wiggo's would be nice because the crosswind seems to want to twist my head.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Glad you are able to write about it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I knew I was asking for trouble on my deep race wheels, but we got home late from my daughter's science olympiad competition in Orlando and I didn't have time to switch over to the training wheels. I also didn't expect the wind to be as brutal as it was.

She did take 2nd in the state in one event though.
There were some very nasty winds going through the state this afternoon.
Took a tree down in my yard, tore some roofs off at Cape Canaveral.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Surprisingly well. The carbon x-wing bottle carrier sheared off and the display of the Garmin 500 is toast (although, like a trooper, it didn't lose the data). Frame, wheels, saddle all fine, as am I apart from some truly minor abrasions. It could have been so much worse. I had no time to brace myself and no way to see what was behind the grass.
Those bikes are immortal. Crazy but nice study man!!

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
The mere fact that you're able to post about it is decidedly encouraging. As a poster above says, watch yourself carefully the next several days. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL, try a HED H3D, Zipp disc, and be 120lbs. I do this once or twice a year for practice. Takes a lot of focus and a lot of core. If the gusts are 30+, I'll switch to an Enve 65. A Kask helmet like Wiggo's would be nice because the crosswind seems to want to twist my head.
I'm 150, so I've got more mass working for me, but I was on a Zipp disc and an 808. Everybody wanted to echelon off me.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Having specialized in crashing a while back I have a theory, the more time you have to prepare for the impact the worse off your going to be. Your body is still in the WTF? period when it hits the ground so your muscles are not tensioning your bones. If you put your arm out to stop the force its a broken collarbone or something not fun.

Helmets are one of those things that are over rated when it comes to safety in the dollar area. Because of the high standards and World/Gov ratings the top companies have the lower cost helmets meet the same standards as the top line stuff. Now comfort, air flow and weight are what you pay for and of course the latest technology.

Happy you made it out ok, time to check out the crash damage replacement warranty.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.