Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the posts and taking JeremyB's suggestions about ebay seriously (which I could not find anything in my size or price range) I picked up...

http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=19# but I had the dealer take the stock wheels off, and I stuck on some Mavic Aksium clinchers. Local wheelbuilder said they weigh more than an Open Pro/Ultegra/db set but are worlds stiffer, and for cyclocross that's what I need.

I'm in it $930 with the Mavic Aksium wheels out the door. And I have a XT rear D and xt cassette to put on; selling the Dura Ace 7800 rear derailleur and SRAM PG950 cassette to offset the swap.

Retail was $1500 with the heavy wheels. The bike fits. Feels good. I'm happy. Ta da!!!
 

·
More Cowbell!
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
bikewriter said:
I had the dealer take the stock wheels off, and I stuck on some Mavic Aksium clinchers. Local wheelbuilder said they weigh more than an Open Pro/Ultegra/db set but are worlds stiffer, and for cyclocross that's what I need.
Can your LBS work on the Aksiums? If not, you'll have to send those babies to France if you break a spoke. I'm a fan of simple, light, dependable, and serviceable -- DA hubs with Open Pro rims, 32 spokes laced 3x. Bombproof, baby.

Otherwise, great buy. And congrats on the new bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gripped said:
Can your LBS work on the Aksiums? If not, you'll have to send those babies to France if you break a spoke. I'm a fan of simple, light, dependable, and serviceable -- DA hubs with Open Pro rims, 32 spokes laced 3x. Bombproof, baby.

Otherwise, great buy. And congrats on the new bike!
That was a concern. I'm not a prebuilt wheel fan, but my local shop kicks azz, and they said they'd take care of any breakage issues. They didn't push them on me and offered the Ultegra/Open Pro/db/alloy set for the same price.

Now I'm reconsidering going to a xt derailleur/cassette. I have a 38 small chainring and everyone on this board seems to think that is sufficient for a 26 granny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeremyb said:
good job, nothings permanent, if you "outgrow" the bike, get tired of the color, whatever you can always upgrade it, paint it or whatever.

congrats. and welcome to the club.

j
Thank you. I'm happy to get back on the road/dirt, get out of the ca for the 13 mile commute (which takes only 10 min longer by bike), take a break from my long travel mtb, and just ride. Everyone has been very helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
bikewriter said:
Now I'm reconsidering going to a xt derailleur/cassette. I have a 38 small chainring and everyone on this board seems to think that is sufficient for a 26 granny.
Yep, 38/26 or 27 will do just fine. If you cant ride it in that then you'd be better off (& faster) running it. Of course this is pertaining to racing, commuting is a different matter. Congrats on the new ride & welcome to cross.

DP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,229 Posts
I agree with above, I'd rather be running the short cage road derailer for this application and a plain old 12-25 or 12-27 cogset in the back, some people will size down the large chainring to 44, I like 38-48 and use all the gears in most races, but am going to try a straight 42 this year and see if that is enough gear, we'll see.

Good luck with the wheels, I have had problems with three of the prebuilt Mavics I owned, all lower end, and ended up putting them out to the curb rather than sending them to Mavic for repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
462 Posts
Sweet bike I have the same one but I sold off the Avid brakes and the wheels. I upgraded the brakes to a set of Paul's Neo Retro and went with the Open Pro's with Ultegra hubs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
DPCX said:
Yep, 38/26 or 27 will do just fine. If you cant ride it in that then you'd be better off (& faster) running it. Of course this is pertaining to racing, commuting is a different matter. Congrats on the new ride & welcome to cross.

DP
looking at bikewriter's previous post that talked about commuting and "long smooth steep climbs" i'd say a 38 x 26/27 may not be low enough - especially if he's worried about his knees. for racing i'm generally with you but it sounds like racing might be the exception in this case.

i tend to target long, relatively steep fireroad climbs on my cross bike and i'm running a 34 x 29 (34/50 and 13-29). this is definitely not too low for this type of riding and though i'm no A racer, i'm relatively strong and have good knees. it's silly for racing but i have other gears that get me by in a race.

seems like bikewriter's pretty far along in his choices but if he is really doing long steep climbs, i'd go for a setup like mine (compact double with a bigger cassete) or stick with the mtb rear cassette/shifter and compromise on the crispness of the rear shifts a bit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jnichols959 said:
looking at bikewriter's previous post that talked about commuting and "long smooth steep climbs" i'd say a 38 x 26/27 may not be low enough - especially if he's worried about his knees. for racing i'm generally with you but it sounds like racing might be the exception in this case.

i tend to target long, relatively steep fireroad climbs on my cross bike and i'm running a 34 x 29 (34/50 and 13-29). this is definitely not too low for this type of riding and though i'm no A racer, i'm relatively strong and have good knees. it's silly for racing but i have other gears that get me by in a race.

seems like bikewriter's pretty far along in his choices but if he is really doing long steep climbs, i'd go for a setup like mine (compact double with a bigger cassete) or stick with the mtb rear cassette/shifter and compromise on the crispness of the rear shifts a bit...
Thank you for the input. I spoke/hung out with the local cross guru this morning and he thinks I'll be fine with a 38/26, and told me to stay away from the long cage xt rear D with a xt 32.Says I'll rip that sucker off in no time fast. I think I'm going to stick an Ultegra cassette with a 27 (currently has a SRAM with a 26) and an Ultegra rear D (no need for this Dura Ace 7800.... found a buyer locally).
That said, I have a buttload of mtb parts (that's my main gig as evident by my cyclocross newbie-ness) and I can experiment. That's half the fun of riding and buying a new bike, now isn't it?? Again, thanks to all for the help.
 

·
More Cowbell!
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
bikewriter said:
What did you feel the Avid 4's were lacking in?
Silence and mud clearance. Stay with them until they 1) drive you crazy, or 2) gum up with mud at an inopportune time. Then swap for something better. I've heard good things about the new Shimano cantis. Pauls are the gold standard though. I pretend to be a retro grounch and run some early 90's vintage Avid Tri-Aligns -- a Pauls Stoplight rip-off. If you've been into mtb since the early 90's, you are probably familiar with those ...
 

·
More Cowbell!
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
kajukembo said:
I've had a few pleasant surprises regarding Mavic warranty repair.
Have you had them back within a week though? Since the OP is going to have one set of wheels, I'd go with immediate rebuilability myself. Shoot, I've got a few sets of wheels and I still go that route. The last two seasons I've tweaked wheels and both times I had them back in service for the next race a week later.

I've never owned a Mavic pre-built before though and I have no real life experience with their repair.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
well I have

bought 2 bikes (used) that came with Ksyriums. Tore a spoke through the rim wall on 1.
(not on cx,I only use them for road training) and it took 6 weeks and close to 200 bucks.
I kinked an O/P in a MTB style ride and had it back rebuilt in a day. (good to know a decent wheelguy).If you bought the Askiums new, get the Mavic warranty as well. That way if you tweak them it'son their nickel. I'm with gripped,Hi Zoot wheels for cx are only good if you are a pro or silly rich.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top