Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted about an NOS Bertoni TSX that my compadre Mike bought over two years ago and has still yet to build. It was the 58 cm frame that I thought would be the best for me. Well, we still had the 56 cm c-to-c frame hanging in the rafters. The other day I brought it down to take some measurements. 56cm top tube, almost 58cm c-to-top. Very close to my Fuso and just .5 cm shorter than the Falcon in the top tube. Right seat post/stem combo and it would fit just fine. And darn, even with a steel fork that sucker is light. Plus I'm shrinking every day.

Jay, the sharp girl who works in the shop and who loves bicycles, just put the 54 cm on layaway. I'm thinking it'll be just my luck that some yabbo will come in and buy it. Several people have been in looking at them, and at $799.99 retail a steal.

Well, my lovely wife Jill has noted that I'm just not as happy unless I have a "project" going and the Falcon was done. She pushed me to do it and even donated $16 to the cause.

I went in today and put it on layaway figuring I could pay it off in a couple of months along with collecting the parts to build it. Right now I'm thinking '09 all alloy Centaur but we'll see what comes up.

Here's some pics. These are of Mike's 58 but mine is the twin.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, those aren't decals. The frame is engraved and graphics are painted on. And the frame was made by Daccordi.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
love those webbed lugs.

Awesome!

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
lovely frame--what's not to like--italian, purple and a project!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paredown said:
lovely frame--what's not to like--italian, purple and a project!
LOL! Money is tight right now but I just couldn't let this baby get away. But it doesn't have a pump peg. Where am I going to put my chrome Silca frame pump?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Richard said:
LOL! Money is tight right now but I just couldn't let this baby get away. But it doesn't have a pump peg. Where am I going to put my chrome Silca frame pump?
Along the seat tube!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zmudshark said:
Along the seat tube!
I know that. It's just that it looks so much cooler on the top tube.:D

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
HOT! Looking forward to the final build.

I remember wayy back walking into a LBS and they had a good handful of them. Why I chose the Vitus variant...:mad2: The SL version with Shimano 600EX was $875. :frown2: Might still have that '87 or '88 Bertoni catalog in the depths of the house...somewhere.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found another pic.

I think this is the "actual" 56cm frame back when another RBR poster was interested.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
buck-50 said:
love those webbed lugs.

Awesome!
Apparently, outside the U.S. this frame was sold as the Daccordi "Griffo", meaning "claws" for the webbed lugs.

A while back somebody from G.B. posted a fixed build with this exact frame, down to the colors, graphics, and engraving except that it was branded a "Daccordi."

According to our store owner, who is the brother-in-law of the late Ben Lawee (and who got his start in the bike biz working at Univega) these "top-of-the-line" frames were made by Daccordi. Other Bertoni frames over time were made by Bianchi and Rossin.

The best Univegas were made by Miyata, but they weren't simply "rebranded" Miyatas. Ben took a direct hand in frame design and graphics.

To me, it's really neat to have that direct link to the origins of this frame.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Richard said:
Apparently, outside the U.S. this frame was sold as the Daccordi "Griffo", meaning "claws" for the webbed lugs.

A while back somebody from G.B. posted a fixed build with this exact frame, down to the colors, graphics, and engraving except that it was branded a "Daccordi."

According to our store owner, who is the brother-in-law of the late Ben Lawee (and who got his start in the bike biz working at Univega) these "top-of-the-line" frames were made by Daccordi. Other Bertoni frames over time were made by Bianchi and Rossin.

The best Univegas were made by Miyata, but they weren't simply "rebranded" Miyatas. Ben took a direct hand in frame design and graphics.

To me, it's really neat to have that direct link to the origins of this frame.:thumbsup:
I can assure my Daccorddi Griffe is an awesome ride!
Nice to see you took the plunge for this frame!
Best, vlckx

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=150192&highlight=griffe

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Richard said:

I love the knowledge/history around here:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It is really good stuff

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Richard said:
By the way, those aren't decals. The frame is engraved and graphics are painted on. And the frame was made by Daccordi.

the dt, tt and st are panto'ed? that columbus "sticker"? the big B on the ht? wow

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FatTireFred said:
the dt, tt and st are panto'ed? that columbus "sticker"? the big B on the ht? wow
I'm pretty sure the "Columbus stickers" are "stickers." But the one on the seat tube feels like it's under clear coat - pretty unusual for Italian frames of that era (the frame dates to around 1991.) Aside from the "pantographed" stuff, the graphics are as smooth as silk.

There will be no carbon bits on this baby. Only a quill stem and shiny aluminum need apply.:D

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just scored a Cinelli 1R stem and a 64-44 bar in pristine condition. Traded with my friend Jeff for a Thule roof rack setup I no longer had any use for (I now own a convertible - hah!)

The stem is a 130mm - may be a bit long but we'll see. As I posted earlier, the tt on the Bertoni is a cm or so shorter than I like (typical '80's-'90's Italian) so maybe this will work. At worst, I'll look like those 5'4'' Italians on 52cm frames with 130mm stems.

Then there's this beautiful Selcof seatpost in the store......

Just kidding! But the parts search commences.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kuma601 said:
Bertoni panot'd 3T stems and Gipiemme seat posts with the "B" emblem are out there. Now that will be a hunt.
I think I'll have plenty of time. I've been going through the QBP "bible" and even at "shop rat" prices it'll take awhile to get all the pieces. I've pretty much decided to go all alloy Centaur. As supportive of this project as my other half is, I promised it would be "pay as I go."

And it's not like I don't have a few nice bikes to ride in the meanwhile.:D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts