Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I did it, I'm a...

1K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  hfc 
#1 ·
father! Well, my wife helped. I posted a question about fatherhood a few months ago during an anxiety meltdown and wanted to give an update. This morning my new riding partner Ian was born. A healthy 7lb3oz and the Dr. said he had great lungs. Does that mean he'll be the cycling superstar of his generation? One can only hope! Thanks for all your previous feedback, I totally understand now what most of you meant when you said that fatherhood changes everything. My wife will be in hospital till Sunday and told me to go ride on Sat. and have a blast. Yipee, the world didn't come to an end!!!

#3 ·
Mosovich said:
My wife will be in hospital till Sunday and told me to go ride on Sat. and have a blast. Yipee, the world didn't come to an end!!!
Dude, your wife is definitely a keeper. Congratulations on your son.... fatherhood is certainly not an easily explainable feeling.

Couple hints. First, if you haven't already, buy your wife some really thick and ridiculously long socks while she's in the hospital. With just a gown, it can get drafty. Second, make sure to get her a little Mom-type present, doesn't have to cost much, just shows how you feel about her. Third, make sure she doesn't feel bad for getting some sleep while the nurses tend to Ian, she'll appreciate it in a few days.

#5 ·
firstrax said:
A job well done!
Now what we all want to know:
Will he ride Campy or Shimano?
Bibs or Shorts?
Carbon, Ti, Alu, or Steel?
Will he feel when his tires are square?
How naive of you, ;) by the time he can appreciate a good bike, you think those will be the only 4 material choices. They probably will have some space age NASA grade plastic that is stronger than steel and lighter than carbon by then.

#7 ·
You'll never feel more totally giving love than with your newborn. All of a sudden, your world and priorities just change. Bringing a new life into the world is truly a miracle. Congrats to you and the missus on the new member of the family. I have two daughters and was afraid I'd somehow hurt the first one if I held her. I also would get up all night long and hold my finger under her nose just to make sure she was breathing. I'd just stay up watching and enjoying the fact she was our own special one.

#10 ·
Congratulations! You'll probably be able to drop all the guys when you go ride on saturday, fatherhood gives you a huge boost (you'll need it when he's hungry 6 times a night). Pass on the love for cycling gently to the little guy, I bet he'll do great!

#11 ·
Congratulations.....

Mosovich said:
father! Well, my wife helped. I posted a question about fatherhood a few months ago during an anxiety meltdown and wanted to give an update. This morning my new riding partner Ian was born. A healthy 7lb3oz and the Dr. said he had great lungs. Does that mean he'll be the cycling superstar of his generation? One can only hope! Thanks for all your previous feedback, I totally understand now what most of you meant when you said that fatherhood changes everything. My wife will be in hospital till Sunday and told me to go ride on Sat. and have a blast. Yipee, the world didn't come to an end!!!
as a father myself, let me translate her instructions:

"My wife will be in hospital till Sunday and told me to go ride on Sat. and have a blast.....because it's the last ride you will get until the baby is 16! :D

Your life is about to change in ways you can not imagine.....It's all good.

Len

#16 ·
Congratulations!

As for the above diaper comment. . .I still say yuck, but I don't have kids.

#17 ·
KeeponTrekkin said:
You'll be surprised. When it's your kid, its not a problem...
The first poo they have, meconium, is fun. It's dark green and insanely sticky, just what you need when you have no experience cleaning baby bums. ;)

#19 ·
Congratulations! I have a 19 month old. On the weekends I used to ride at whatever time of the morning I wanted. Now it's on the bike at 7:00 a.m. sharp. By the time I get back home at 10:30 or 11:00, my wife and little girl will have been up only for short time. Just in time to join them for breakfast. It's all good!

Mosovich said:

#20 ·
So far so good..

did the first diaper this morning. Not bad, but that circumsision thing, OUCH! Things are looking good, now if I'd just win the lottery! Well, I guess you gotta play first. Went on first ride tonight with some guys who are fathers and they were like "hey, we've been telling you it's cool for like the last 8 months!"

To anwer a couple of questions, I think he'll be a campy man and will prefer the classics over grand tours. Hey, Het Volk is tomorrow, maybe the have wireless internet at the hospital!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.