Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed my first century today. It was 100% solo & unsupported. I'm kind of new to the area I live, so I didn't have a firm, pre-written route (I don't know the roads here well enough yet to have bothered writing down something I knew I'd just get too confused to follow anyways). Coming off an injury, I wasn't sure if my fitness would quite be up to it, but apparently that was a non-issue. That all adds up to a ride that was probably a pretty idiotic way to go about the century, but it all turned out better than I had anticipated.

Lessons learned.......
--Bring more Clifs Bars & Shots next time
--Know the stinking route, or at least the where some of the major roads are & where they lead to. I ended up getting lost and found out I was farther from home than I thought, having to alter the route & call home to get directions back (which completely embarrassed me!!)
--"Mind over matter" is true

I feel absolutly fantastic having tackled this. Can't wait to hit my next milestone!

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Hip...Hip....hoooray...great feeling isn't it!...just a tip...lol....if you plan on wandering around on unfamiliar roads.....a bar mounted or handheld mapping gps is just the ticket...I hate when 50 turn into 70 or 100 turns into 125...lol

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thought.....

Touch0Gray said:
Hip...Hip....hoooray...great feeling isn't it!...just a tip...lol....if you plan on wandering around on unfamiliar roads.....a bar mounted or handheld mapping gps is just the ticket...I hate when 50 turn into 70 or 100 turns into 125...lol
I've got a handheld GPS which I typically have used for hiking or fly-fishing. I never even thought to throw it in my jersey pocket. That would have saved me some grief yesterday and an embarrassing call to my wife.

If only it weren't so stinking wet and windy here today I'd be out on another ride. Good times!

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,049 Posts
Awesome job! I want to do an unsupported century this year myself. How did you carry / pick up enough fluids?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
jlgoodin78 said:
I've got a handheld GPS which I typically have used for hiking or fly-fishing. I never even thought to throw it in my jersey pocket. That would have saved me some grief yesterday and an embarrassing call to my wife.

If only it weren't so stinking wet and windy here today I'd be out on another ride. Good times!
feels good don't it!

so you OWN a gps.....and still got lost......someone ought to smack you.
not to drift but I have a funny story...

A couple of friends of mine, (brothers, mind you) went ice fishing a couple of days before christmas. I was night, and mild and incredibly foggy... they got lost on the lake. I know for a fact that Ted has THREE hand held GPS. when he told me the story, my first question was where was your GPS....he hung his head and said..."in my van"

SCHMUCK!!!!!!!!

...........Mike has a real bad knee so they were most likely walking in a circle trying to find their way off the ice. Ted called the cellular service he uses to activate the GPS on the blackberry....BUT it takes a few hours....They found their way off the ice finally...New years eve we were all together and I asked what they would do NEXT time.....Mike said "Next time????? ain't gonna be next time, I'm never going ice fishing with Ted again"

Truly funny, and you gotta know the guys to really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
First, congrats also. Its a great milestone to get out the way.

You have the right idea, more planning = easier ride. LOL LOL

But honestly, the whole getting lost thing, some of my most memorable rides have come from getting lost. Don't know why, but there you go.

The new GPS units make it much easier to have a long, fun day. However when i plan my long days i also know where the stores where i can get food and water for the long haul at. THis way i only need to carry cash or plastic.

Keep up the good work, mine is coming in sept. THe civil war century.

Bill

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fluid replacement

DrSmile said:
Awesome job! I want to do an unsupported century this year myself. How did you carry / pick up enough fluids?
I carried two bottles with me, one 27 ounces & one 24 ounces. I knew that if I went far enough I'd come across a gas station of some sort to buy bottles of water & refill.....and my worst-case scenario plan was to look miserable and knock on someone's door begging them to let me use their tap & refill. I also always carry packets of the Propel mix in my pack. Granted, it's not Gu2O or Clif's hydration packets, but it does help. Fortunately I had no problems.

My real problem was not having brought enough food along. I only had 2 120 calorie organic granola bars & a Clif's bar. 490 calories over that distance just isn't sufficient, but I made it quite fine and will just be stronger for the next one.

When you get ready to do your unsupported century, you'll probably be quite fine. You're surely smart enough to not follow my lead by getting lost or forgetting proper food!!!!

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time

mateoway said:
how long did it take you?
It was 103 miles in 6 hours, 4 minutes. Not the fastest time by any means, but I'm happy with a 16.9 mph average for my first century, especially completely unsupported in very unfamiliar territory. The ride time is only actual riding time, so it doesn't include when I stopped to call for directions, get water, and fertilize the trees. I'm planning on a group century in 3 weeks, so that should be a great experience.

·
Blaaahst!
313 Posts
congrats on finishing your first century. It's truly quite an accomplishment.

And now the converse point of view (and by no means am I trying to lessen your accomplishment). Centuries used to be important to me as a goal, but no longer. The fact is they've taken a toll. They literally wear me out. Instead I'll opt for the metric century or if my legs are fresh, I'll ride 75-80 milers. I'd rather put in a ride shorter than 5 hours, especially when it's windy or hot. Another advantage of shorter rides is I can ride harder here and there (sprints, hills) because I know my body will hold up over the shorter distance. When I rode centuries, I rode at a steady pace. But even at that steady pace the last couple of hours in a 100-miler is usually a full blown sufferfest (cramps, exhaustion, you name it). A quality ride is much more important to me than a quantity ride.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Quality is important to me too. I was smiling and having a great time yesterday before I died.. Then I was just suffering till the end.. Bah!

But.. as I work out more and build my endurance longer distances will be more fun!

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Fuel

jlgoodin78 said:
My real problem was not having brought enough food along. I only had 2 120 calorie organic granola bars & a Clif's bar. 490 calories over that distance just isn't sufficient, but I made it quite fine and will just be stronger for the next one.
For a ride this long, you want to think in terms of around 300 calories per hour food intake. It makes a HUGE difference in how you feel toward the end if you've been eating enough throughout the ride.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Congrats! Before last year the farthest I had ever ridden was 50 miles and I never rode by myself. Then last summer I started getting serious and did a couple of (non-solo) centuries. At the end of the season I was 90 miles from 3000 for the year and the weather was deteriorating quickly so on a cold Monday in fall I saddled up and did the 90 miles solo. Previously that summer I had told my main riding buddy that I could never see myself riding the kind of solo miles that he does so to do 90 solo gave me quite a feeling of accomplishment.

Once again, congrats!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.