Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh wait, this isn't SS board over on MTBR. Anyways, I was in the LBS on Friday eyeing the 55 cm Bianchi Volpe sitting in the corner. Actually, it has been in my sights for quite a while along with the Surly Cross-Check. So yesterday I went in plunked the cash down for a new Volpe in vintage celeste, I like it! Ah, so refreshing, like falling into a field of sage and mint. Looks more like aquafresh toothpaste under different lighting. Anyways, slapped on the Planet X Freddy fenders and was ready for the rain we got yesterday and today in NW Oregon. So far so good.......:thumbsup:

Back to your regualarly scheduled program.

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wooglin said:
Plus its got that faux-leopard skin saddle, right? My sweetie wants one just for that.
Ya, sure, ya betcha. It does look a little out of place. I suppose when it comes time to upgrade, I will proly get a brooks saddle. My wifey looked at the Volpe too but settled on a Kona Dew. She does not have as long of a commute and wanted to spend a bit less. Plus she got a good deal, as the paint was scratched in a few places.

· Registered
444 Posts
those are nice!
but it's not celeste. it's 'gang green' also a cool color.
celeste is more sparkly. it's sort of a light green with a blue pearl or something.

love the volpe! i saw one in the shop and it does draw the commuter cyclist's eye.

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
those are nice!
but it's not celeste. it's 'gang green' also a cool color.
celeste is more sparkly. it's sort of a light green with a blue pearl or something.

love the volpe! i saw one in the shop and it does draw the commuter cyclist's eye.
Thanks! Yeah, I know what true Celeste looks like. But there for awhile, I thought they were calling it Vintage Celeste. I see now on their website it is indeed gang green. At least it does not smell :) He he he.

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Sweet choice man. I've got myself a 58 Volpe. Same color. Got a new seatpost (as I couldn't stand that shock one) and threw some red tape on there.... lemme tell ya. The red tape looks gorgeous on it!

Unfortunatly I haven't ridden mine since I got my fixie :( But this summer it's going to become my main ride as I'm throwing in the towel on my truck, and I'm going to make my Volpe the ultimate commuter/grocery getter.

Nice choice of bike. They're super buff!

joe

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeDaddio said:
Sweet choice man. I've got myself a 58 Volpe. Same color. Got a new seatpost (as I couldn't stand that shock one) and threw some red tape on there.... lemme tell ya. The red tape looks gorgeous on it!

Unfortunatly I haven't ridden mine since I got my fixie :( But this summer it's going to become my main ride as I'm throwing in the towel on my truck, and I'm going to make my Volpe the ultimate commuter/grocery getter.

Nice choice of bike. They're super buff!

joe
Good to know! I can't stand the seatpost myself. I was going to get something middle of the road, so to speak, like an Easton or sumpin. My LBS did not have anything other than really cheap (which would be fine in principle) or Thompson. Don't get me wrong, I love Thompson stuff but the $ could be spent on, let's say, beer instead!

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Meat Foot said:
Good to know! I can't stand the seatpost myself. I was going to get something middle of the road, so to speak, like an Easton or sumpin. My LBS did not have anything other than really cheap (which would be fine in principle) or Thompson. Don't get me wrong, I love Thompson stuff but the $ could be spent on, let's say, beer instead!

The only advice I can offer on a seatpost (that I wish I would have paid attention to before I bought mine) is make sure to get one that you can adjust the pitch of the seat in tiny incriments. For me, one notch down is too much, and one notch up is too much. I'm also going to have to get a new seat, as the stock one doesn't treat me too well. Although some people seem to really like it.

Have fun on it!

joe

· Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
wooglin said:
If either of you wants to get rid of one of those leopard saddles I'll gladly pay shipping plus a six pack for it. Just let me know.

Sounds like a deal to me.

As soon as I get myself a new one, this baby is yours. Any suggestions on a fairly priced saddle with a good rep?

edit: I should be getting myself a new saddly fairly soon... a week or two, I'm hoping.

joe

· Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Sounds like a deal to me.

As soon as I get myself a new one, this baby is yours. Any suggestions on a fairly priced saddle with a good rep?

edit: I should be getting myself a new saddly fairly soon... a week or two, I'm hoping.

joe
Sweet. Hit me with a PM any time you're ready. As for a saddle that fits, every butt is different. I like Terrys.

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
superjohnny said:
Congrats Meat Foot. Which LBS did you go to? I just bought a Cross Check from NW on 21st. Hoping to get it sometime this week...
Thanks!
I bought it from Santiam Bikes in Salem. Cool guys. They hooked my wife up with a "B" stock bike too. Expensive weekend! Good luck with the Cross-Check. Now that I see you could get one in NW and they are on Webcyclery's website, I question my decision. Nah, I really like the feel of this unit. I panicked and pulled the trigger! :D

· Registered
551 Posts
Yea the spot in NW had them all built up in 54, 56 & 58 cm. I pulled the trigger on a "Complete". Should be finished on Thursday *crossing fingers*. Need to invest in some good fenders with all the rain we've had. Is yours a 58cm as well? Maybe we need to go try Browns on the cross-bikes?

ok maybe not.

I do love panicking and buying new stuff :)

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
superjohnny said:
Is yours a 58cm as well?
I got a 55, then they jump to 58. The Bianchis run a little big. I would have probably gotten a 56 cm Surly, as I stood over a Green Bean 54 cm and it felt cramped. I don't Psyco-cross race, so the one size smaller thing does not work for me. If I ride the trails at all, I will just be on a bigger bike.

superjohnny said:
Maybe we need to go try Browns on the cross-bikes?
I am glad your kidding, because I almost shot coffee out my nose. I walk a great deal out there with my MTB as it is (well a couple places where my technical skills lack). I tried it once on my SS and felt like I walked way too much.

I look forward to seeing your build. Is it box stock or did you make changes?

EDIT: Get some Planet-X Freddy Fenders (they are full fenders and have a little mud flap on trailing ends). They work!

· Registered
551 Posts
here's a 56 Surly CX FS on Craigslist: http://portland.craigslist.org/bik/163215992.html

Sorry, that doesn't help. Mine is a bone stock build. It's mostly a commuter so I couldn't really justify making changes. With a $1000 budget and a $880 bike I didn't have many upgrade options anyway. For $25 those fenders look like a good deal. I'll also need some pedals. What are you using for pedals? I was thinking of some Shimano MTB's so I can use my clipless shoes on the MTB or road ride. I'm not hard-core enough to care that about weight anyway. If I were I could drop 8-10lbs off my gut pretty easily (but this is Portland and I'm just not giving up beer!)

Does yours look like this: http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_volpe.html

that's a sweet bike dude. So do you live in Salem and drive up for the ride at Browns? That's a long haul.

· Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
superjohnny said:
You have got to be sh!tting me!

superjohnny said:
What are you using for pedals?
Egg beaters.

superjohnny said:
(but this is Portland and I'm just not giving up beer!)
Never!

superjohnny said:
Does yours look like this: http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_volpe.html

that's a sweet bike dude
Yup, Thanks!

superjohnny said:
So do you live in Salem and drive up for the ride at Browns? That's a long haul.
Sometimes I would ride after work, which required a drive out and I would not get home till 10 at night. Will see what this summer is like, now that I commute by bike/bus/bike.

M

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.