Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mostly Absent
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really planning on getting out today and taking a spin on the TT circuit. Push it pretty hard, see what I could do after 4 weeks. But nooooooooooooooooooo, i had to lose self control last night and have way too many margaritas, and then a beer. I had very little to eat last night AND, I've been mostly on the wagon since 1/1 (too many empty calories). So, I feel like crap. Pounding head, sweats, dizziness. I am NOT getting on a bicycle today.

And, for the final kick in the teeth, I got on the scale and hadn't lost any weight this week.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
Kennedy said:
I was really planning on getting out today and taking a spin on the TT circuit. Push it pretty hard, see what I could do after 4 weeks. But nooooooooooooooooooo, i had to lose self control last night and have way too many margaritas, and then a beer. I had very little to eat last night AND, I've been mostly on the wagon since 1/1 (too many empty calories). So, I feel like crap. Pounding head, sweats, dizziness. I am NOT getting on a bicycle today.

And, for the final kick in the teeth, I got on the scale and hadn't lost any weight this week.
It's just a hiccup on the way to reaching your goal. Give yourself a little slack. It's okay for a diversion here and there. One stumble; tomorrow's a new day.

·
Mostly Absent
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thinkcooper said:
One stumble; tomorrow's a new day.
Yea, but today is 60* and sunny. Tomorrow, 45* and cloudy. :mad2:

I'm feeling better after a quart of water and the leftover roasted chicken I made Thursday.

Maybe around 3, I'll see how I'm feeling.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,125 Posts
Your problem is that you did not drink enough, and you should have eaten greasy food. If you hurl, then you don't gain the weight (and probably avoid the hangover).

Sheesh!

Seriously, one day is not a problem. Just enjoy having enjoyed and get back on this ball tomorrow. Perfection is never going to happen, but if you can do right 5 days a week, you'll improve each and every week.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
I've done some rides after wicked drinking sessions the night before, they're sometimes painful, but even a casual spin feels better than doing nothing. If you need to hurl, go for it. Pick a nicely coifed front lawn - have confidence that the owner has enough pride in their landscaping that they won't let your vomit sit for very long. :D

Readjust your expectations for today's ride; just go out later, hydrate well, tool around and enjoy the day on two wheels.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,125 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Readjust your expectations for today's ride; just go out later, hydrate well, tool around and enjoy the day on two wheels.
Good point, even a 30 minute spin will make for a very virtuous day, given the situation.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I am on the hungover train as well.

Alka Seltzer has a product called Morning Relief (which I reached for this morning only to find that the bok was empty) that actually works really well. It's made specifically for this purpose.

joe

·
Super Moderator
19,451 Posts
Kennedy said:
Put the results in your sig. It will bring a ray of sunshine and hope into Scooter's day. :)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
It is just one day. No need to fret over it. However, not to preach or anything like that, but why drink in the first place? It's great that you've been sober since 1/1 - why not try having a party or celebration or whatever without booze? Just food for thought...:)
Cheers, Wayne

·
Mostly Absent
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not discouraged. Just annoyed at missing a great NNC day because of my own stupidity.

Wayne, are you on the 12 steps or just a teetotaller?

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Kennedy said:
I'm not discouraged. Just annoyed at missing a great NNC day because of my own stupidity.

No, I'm not on the 12 steps. What's a teetotaller?

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Kennedy said:
Just a guess, but I don't think an alcoholic would ever wonder what was so appealing about getting drunk. That part we get.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Getting down on yourself and then getting past it is part of training. I had thread water a bit on the weight loss, and after three weeks of solid work I still had not had a great ride with my club.

But I finally did today. A few things helped- a good recovery week, eating a bigger breakfast earlier, and getting more water in the morning before riding.

Good results will come. BTW- no beer and no desserts since 12/31.

:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
19,451 Posts
wayneanneli said:
No, I'm not on the 12 steps. What's a teetotaller?
It think it's spelled "tea totaler". Some one who doesn't drink alcohol (very much). Instead that person drinks tea.

I'm a cheap drunk so I reckon I would qualify. :eek:

·
Mostly Absent
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
il sogno said:
It think it's spelled "tea totaler". Some one who doesn't drink alcohol (very much). Instead that person drinks tea.

I'm a cheap drunk so I reckon I would qualify. :eek:

teetotaler \TEE-TOH-tuh-lur\, noun:
One pledged to entire abstinence from all intoxicating drinks.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Kennedy said:
teetotaler \TEE-TOH-tuh-lur\, noun:
One pledged to entire abstinence from all intoxicating drinks.
No, no completely. I drink probably two beers and two glasses of wine per year, if that counts. It's just as I've gotten older, I've realised the positives of not drinking more than drinking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts