Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I are awesome.

After a month of daily applications of liquid wrench and the use of a cheater bar 4 feet long, I finally got the seatpost unstuck from my wife's beloved trek 800.

Now her saddle can be raised to a proper, non-knee hurting height.

Also, now a cheap carbon fiber seatpost because I'm pretty sure carbon won't bind with steel.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$5 crabon seatpost bought at the bike swap... That's purty cheap.

Plus now because of the carbon, her bike is laterally stiffer yet more vertically compliant.

When we first met 7 years ago, one of her first questions was whether I knew how to cut a lock because she had lost the key to her bike a year prior... Locked up outside the whole time.

Seatpost well siezed.

Built her a new bike that is in every way shape and form better, but she never really liked it. She loves her old 800. First new bike she ever bought. So finally, it was time to see if I could fix the damn thing.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I are awesome.

After a month of daily applications of liquid wrench and the use of a cheater bar 4 feet long, I finally got the seatpost unstuck from my wife's beloved trek 800.

Now her saddle can be raised to a proper, non-knee hurting height.

Also, now a cheap carbon fiber seatpost because I'm pretty sure carbon won't bind with steel.
Post a pic in HDR or Tilt and Shift.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I built my girlfriend a bike a while back. It was left at my LBS by a woman who had an emotional breakdown in the middle of the store and left it and never returned. A couple months after it was there I asked about it and they were all too happy to clear up the space and let me have it.

Built it up as a rad little around town SS.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I like the idea of a singlespeed with a 5-speed freewheel.

I didn't know if she was going to ride it ever. It had old steel wheels and rather than spend the money to convert it or to buy new wheels, I made it work with the original wheels. I figured if she rode it it'd need new wheels anyways and we'd take care of it when the time came.

As it turns out: it's a good thing I didn't spend the money :p

She let it sit outside uncovered and it got rained on a couple times. I thought it was in her garage and I walked in her back yard one day and saw it sitting there with the chain totally rusted out. I moved it to her garage so it would stop getting rained on.

She now wants me to fix it up again so she can ride it. I hope she does.

To be fair, the seat was way too high for her (heh). And I couldn't lower it because the post was only gnarled at the very bottom, so lowering it gave it no grip and the post would slip (heh). I was going to sand it down to try and muck it up enough to grip, but I never did.

joe

Reactions: tihsepa

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As it turns out: it's a good thing I didn't spend the money :p

joe
I know how that goes... Built my wife a bike out of an old lugged schwinn frame and leftover parts, but the skinny tires made her nervous.

Flat bars, thumb shifters, A complete shimano 600 drivetrain, Deep V-rims... She wants the trek 800 with Acera.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I know how that goes... Built my wife a bike out of an old lugged schwinn frame and leftover parts, but the skinny tires made her nervous.

Flat bars, thumb shifters, A complete shimano 600 drivetrain, Deep V-rims... She wants the trek 800 with Acera.
Aint that a shame. Wemens.
Nie has a Trek 7.7 and a Trek 930 mountain bike. She dosent ride either.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Why do you guys stay with the none riddin wimmenz? MIine rides and is competitive enough to keep my lazy a$$ riding or she will leave me behind! I like it this way, we ride every weekend together!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you guys stay with the none riddin wimmenz? MIine rides and is competitive enough to keep my lazy a$$ riding or she will leave me behind! I like it this way, we ride every weekend together!
Well aren't you fancy.

But you've still only got one green dot, so yer down in the muck just like the rest of us.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Well aren't you fancy.

But you've still only got one green dot, so yer down in the muck just like the rest of us.
Yes, yes I am. As was said earlier, just another way of pointing out my inadequacies!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but any further advice regarding removing siezed carbon seatpost from TI frame. My Litespeed Vortex seatpost is stuck. What kind of penetrating oil was used? Other methods?

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
... advice regarding removing siezed carbon seatpost from TI frame... What kind of penetrating oil was used?
i've freed aluminum from a steel frame by soaking the post with a shot glass amount of equal parts acetone and automatic transmission fluid (atf). then try to free the post once weekly while it soaks (up to a 6 weeks or so).

a method to free it is to place the seatpost in a bench vise and slowly try to turn the frame by hand.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
reading through this old thread, laughing pretty hard...to the best of my knowledge some of the guys are no longer married and some actually married the girl. My wife doesn't ride but I keep building a bike for her...which she rides twice then it hangs in the garage. Since I started playing that game, I have ridden about 60,000 miles and I am still married. She doesn't pretend she's going to ride and I don't pretend I want her to!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
i've freed aluminum from a steel frame by soaking the post with a shot glass amount of equal parts acetone and automatic transmission fluid (atf). then try to free the post once weekly while it soaks (up to a 6 weeks or so).

a method to free it is to place the seatpost in a bench vise and slowly try to turn the frame by hand.
I agree with the shot glass part, but my formula differs.... rum....and 2 or 3 shots then it doesn't matter what you do to the bike!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts