Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gregg told me that he will send me a jersey/bib shorts, I am very happy to know that of course. In response to his gift, I like to present here some of my pictures taken when I traveled with my wife in Guizhou province recently. Guizhou is the second poorest province ( the poorest is Tibet ) of China due to the mountainous land, small economy and underdeveloped tourism.
The pictures of these wonderful Guizhou kids were taken when we were shooting a large field of yellow flowers at the opposite side of a stream. They saw us and then ran to us from all directions not because of candies (because we were at the opposite side of a 20 meters wide stream) but just to cheer us up.
Looking at faces of these kids (third picture is the blow up of the faces in the second picture), they are so lovely, cheerful, clue and happy. Since we were at the other side of the stream, some 25 meters across, I had nothing to offer them in return to their cheerful smile and enthusiasm, I feel I owe them something after the photo shooting. Anything I could do for them ?
Maybe some sort of donation to the children’s fund or something.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Guizhou is one of the provinces that contains the most minority groups. The minority groups account for more than 37% of the total population. These two women were among some of those that I met who wore their tradition costume in their daily life ( not those who dresssed up for tourists).

The food that people in Guizhou city take attracted our attention.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wishes written on red ribbons blessed by the temple were picked and sold.

Some tie the red ribbon on tree branches, some tie it on the wrist.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What a visual treat, great photos, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Scale like rock face of the gorge, our local guide told us that it will grow like lime stone does.

Scenic shot of a deep gorge that we visited.

Tree branches at Huangguoshu(orange tree) Waterfall.

Huangguoshu Waterfall.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Calligraphy at the door side with bamboo plants outdoor. Chinese consider bamboos are elegant plants, while the calligraphy means “Tranquility enhances your mind/ability”.

One of the main reasons that I posted reports here is that I wish to contribute to the places/countries that I have visited, to bring others closer to them and their people. So please come to see for yourself if you feel attracted. However, there are over 1.3 billion people in China, most of them are poor according to your standard. You are suggested to appreciate their culture, keep your mind open and you will be happy, most people here are nice and friendly.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
kai-ming said:
Glad you like the pics.
Kai-Ming:

I always enjoy your reports. I never have been to China, but always have wanted to visit. After seeing all of your reports, I now not only want to visit China, but I want to bring my bike, too.

Thank you and best wishes.

Mark

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now not only want to visit China, but I want to bring my bike, too.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Take great care when you bike in China especially when you are a new comer and in big cities, you may find the driving/walking culture very different from your country. Don't assume your right of way, everybody fight for himself for everything in China. However, you will find most of them are fair/nice if you accustomed to the culture especially in the countryside. I don't think language is too much of a problem. There are plenty of foreigners travelling in China, I have not heard of anything unpleasant happened to them.
All the best.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
MarkS said:
Kai-Ming:

I always enjoy your reports. I never have been to China, but always have wanted to visit. After seeing all of your reports, I now not only want to visit China, but I want to bring my bike, too.

Mark
Now that would be one heck of an RBR gather.

How about we all meet Boneman in Shanghai and ride out from there.

Great pictures Kai Ming
Scot :)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
You shouldn't say things like this

Scot_Gore said:
Now that would be one heck of an RBR gather.

How about we all meet Boneman in Shanghai and ride out from there.

Great pictures Kai Ming
Scot :)
Five years ago, someone on RBR suggested a little ride in France, the Etape du Tour. I don't think he really expected anyone to come over and do it. But, Philippe did not know me then. Now he does. People really should not plant ideas of bike travel in my mind.

I was just checking airfares for September -- I think that we can get to Shanghai for around $1500 round trip.

Well, I don't think that Mrs. S will let me go to China this year -- after all I did the Tour of Flanders earlier this month and will be France (again) in July. "Next year in Shanghai?"

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Fantastic Pics

I am always grateful when people in other countries post their pics. I often show the people in the office and they love 'em. China has some absolutely gorgeous scenery! Everyone (including my brother) who has spent time in China has really enjoyed it. Someday maybe I'll get the opportunity!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MarkS said:
Five years ago, someone on RBR suggested a little ride in France, the Etape du Tour. I don't think he really expected anyone to come over and do it. But, Philippe did not know me then. Now he does. People really should not plant ideas of bike travel in my mind.

I was just checking airfares for September -- I think that we can get to Shanghai for around $1500 round trip.

Well, I don't think that Mrs. S will let me go to China this year -- after all I did the Tour of Flanders earlier this month and will be France (again) in July. "Next year in Shanghai?"
When ever you come, don't come any time near Chinese new year, 1st of May (labour holidays),1st of October (national day holidays), when most people will be out for holidays or travelling to/from their home towns. September sounds great.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just received the jersey, bib shorts and socks, fit me very well. Love the color, match with my bike and shoes, probably the only RBR kit that exists in Hong Kong/China. Thank you very much for the gift, gregg.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
They look great with your bike.

kai-ming said:
Just received the jersey, bib shorts and socks, fit me very well. Love the color, match with my bike and shoes, probably the only RBR kit that exists in Hong Kong/China. Thank you very much for the gift, gregg.
I'm thinking it is time for another ride report. :D

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Glad to see the package made it safely, Kai-ming! Enjoy the clothes, you earned it!

It's funny, I also have a Colnago in Mapei colors, but for some reason, the RBR colors seem to match better with yours!

-g

1 - 20 of 24 Posts