Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LandRider....Don't laugh, I LOVE it. However, I plan to do more serious bike riding this year. I mostly ride bike paths but some of them are pretty broken up. I like light trails, the parks have some sand and large roots, lol. Like I wrote, I mostly do paved trails and paths. I am going to Chicago in May and we want to ride the full bike path (around 118 miles each way) I have looked at bike shops and listed the components then came here for the reviews. I have such a headache trying to figure out if the components are even worth looking at anymore. I hear so much stuff from each bike shop, trying to get me to buy from them. I have looked at the bikes and like most of them but when I look up the components and reviews, they are not all so good. Personally, I like the IBEX Trophy 770 and the Woodstock 505. As luck would have it they compare about the same in the reviews I have read. Some have told me that the fork on the Woodstock is not as good as on the Trophy but am I even going to notice the difference? An why do I have to worry about the 505 being a 80mm travel vice the 85mm travel on the 770?
I am almost 50 years old and want to get out and enjoy life.....this research is not making this fun at all, lol.
I just want a bike that is sturdy, will take my 5 foot 11 inch body on a nice LONG bike ride and hold up.
Another problem from some manufacturers is you can only take that bike into their representatives for repair to keep the warranty at least with these two bikes, I don't have that problem....they are online stores. I keep hearing that I should buy from a local bike shop but they are so over priced when I start comparing components to the two I have narrowed my choice down. Any thoughts or words of help here?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,243 Posts
Don't worry. It is not rocket science, nor is it all that hard. Here is my suggestion.

Go test ride some bikes at different shops. Let the shops steer you to three bikes around the price you want to pay. Buy the one that feels the best to you. If you can't decide, pick one from the shop where you like the people the best. The trophy looks fine to me, with solid parts. Just put some slicks on it for tires for the pavement and it will last for years with only normal maintenance.

At any given price point ($300, $500, $1000) the differences in the parts will be minimal. Don't sweat it. Just buy what you like and ride it and you will be happy.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Bubbles1956 said:
I have a LandRider....Don't laugh, I LOVE it. However, I plan to do more serious bike riding this year. I mostly ride bike paths but some of them are pretty broken up. I like light trails, the parks have some sand and large roots, lol. Like I wrote, I mostly do paved trails and paths. I am going to Chicago in May and we want to ride the full bike path (around 118 miles each way) I have looked at bike shops and listed the components then came here for the reviews. I have such a headache trying to figure out if the components are even worth looking at anymore. I hear so much stuff from each bike shop, trying to get me to buy from them. I have looked at the bikes and like most of them but when I look up the components and reviews, they are not all so good. Personally, I like the IBEX Trophy 770 and the Woodstock 505. As luck would have it they compare about the same in the reviews I have read. Some have told me that the fork on the Woodstock is not as good as on the Trophy but am I even going to notice the difference? An why do I have to worry about the 505 being a 80mm travel vice the 85mm travel on the 770?
I am almost 50 years old and want to get out and enjoy life.....this research is not making this fun at all, lol.
I just want a bike that is sturdy, will take my 5 foot 11 inch body on a nice LONG bike ride and hold up.
Another problem from some manufacturers is you can only take that bike into their representatives for repair to keep the warranty at least with these two bikes, I don't have that problem....they are online stores. I keep hearing that I should buy from a local bike shop but they are so over priced when I start comparing components to the two I have narrowed my choice down. Any thoughts or words of help here?

Just make sure to go to your LBS-local bike shop for a proper fitting, then you'll at least know the correct sizes if you are going to order online. Plus you might find something you like at the shop...Ibex makes good bikes from what I can tell, don't know much about the other one.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Don't get bound up in technicalities...

Good advice from Hoo and Phys--this really isn't as complicated as we sometimes act like it is, and those of us who just want to ride comfortably have a huge range of choices at pretty reasonable cost. I spent quite a bit of money on my last bike, but it was a midlife birthday present--it probably will be my LAST bike, literally, and after decades of making do, with my kids grown, I decided to buy what I wanted. I was able to afford it and my wife supported the decision. I really like the bike, but it cost four times as much as the one that came before it, and it's neither four times as fast nor four times as much fun.
As for the tech stuff and suspension travel, I wouldn't give it a thought. The difference you mention is minimal, especially for the kind of riding you describe, and I doubt you'd notice it. On request, I could make a convincing argument that you don't need suspension at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, Like I said...I currently have a LandRider autoshift bike and I personally love it. However, the farthest I have gone on that bike is 47 miles and I know it won't handle the 200 plus miles I plan to ride in May in less than a week. Soo....I just want to get the best bang for the buck. So far that is the Woodstock 505 with the lockout fork and all I will have to do is change out the tires to a hybrid at my local bike shop. I like that guy and trust him anyway. Thank you for the good words.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Bubbles1956 said:
Yeah, Like I said...I currently have a LandRider autoshift bike and I personally love it. However, the farthest I have gone on that bike is 47 miles and I know it won't handle the 200 plus miles I plan to ride in May in less than a week. Soo....I just want to get the best bang for the buck. So far that is the Woodstock 505 with the lockout fork and all I will have to do is change out the tires to a hybrid at my local bike shop. I like that guy and trust him anyway. Thank you for the good words.
Well, since the Woodstock is a mountain bike and hybrids use road tire sizes, you won't be able to use "hybrid tires"-they aren't the right size.

Since you're looking at mountain bikes, maybe the guys over at www.mountainbikereview.com can help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have a comment there too. I am getting great advice but I am not really into buying a cheaper bike and upgrading it....I don't have the know how yet to do that. I was looking at the IBEX Trophy 770 also, the reviews read that is a nice street and light trail bike but it is $100 more and the Woodstock review read that it is a nice bike but change the tires for pavement...I did not know there are no hybrid tires to fit that bike...THANK YOU.

·
Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
I don't know if you're ready for a real bike; can you actually change gears by yourself? Seriously, if you like your current bike, why not just use it? Sounds fine for the paths you want to ride and for the amount of effort you want to put in to the decision and way cheaper...if it can go 47 miles, a couple more is no biggie to the bike...it's your ability to ride that far that's a bigger issue. Of course, if you do "upgrade" and you actually get interested in the details, I'll tell ya, it's likely to become a serious addiction. I think you should stick to an LBS for a new purchase if you're not willing to deal with "component" or other selection of details...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comment

LOL..Actually my last bike had grip shifters and I could never get them to respond correctly. I had stopped riding for over 10 years and when I got back into it a friend told me about the LandRider. NO WAY am I taking that bike on a 100 mile a day bike ride....if anything happens I will be stranded lol. Yeah I can shift, with all I have read about these new shiftes..I think it will be fun. As for components, I am mechanically inclined, just not knowledgable enough to make a decision on my own about the best bang for the buck. I am leaning towards the Woodstock 505 and going from there.

·
Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
Just looked at the two bikes Ibex 770 and the Woodstock 505 (I had never even heard of Woodstock before). They're mountain bikes! I had thought they were hybrids or something along those lines as you were posting on rbr. While I'm pretty well versed in mountain bikes I don't follow the packaged bikes much any longer (I build up my own preferences from frame level). I'd say a hybrid or cyclocross style bike might be a better choice for you for 100 miles per day of paved/groomed bike paths as you describe, rather than a bike more suited for trails.

Both bikes have reasonable, and similar, spec for the price. I'd lean towards the Ibex for the Marzocchi fork over the Manitou, though. Are you familiar with bike sizing enough to buy an internet bike? Have you checked over on mtbr for ideas/opinions?

Good luck in any case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually I have been to many LBS and most of the bikes they have me in either an 18 or a 19 inch frame except for one bike they had me in a 21.5 inch frame. I have a LandRider and it is a 19 inch frame and it fits me perfect! I like the mountain bike styles much better than the road bikes and most of the hybrid bike reviews are only recommending up to 40 miles of comfortable riding...although those ARE older reviews. I like light trails too, especially by the beach and in the State parks, but I mostly do paved paths. I was told that the Woodstock had a lock out fork and that was better and that for my needs I don't need anything over 80mm travel on a fork. I tried to find a Raleigh LaHar 2005 bike to ride as it is the bike most closely related to the Woodstock 505. The reviews for both bikes are very high for the 505 as a comfort bike by raising the handle bars (which I would do anyway) and changing out the pedals.
I will look into cyclocross bikes now too, thank you.

·
Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
You'll find there can be little relationship among "sizes" which are based on seat tube length as they're not always measured the same. More important is the top tube length IMO. Compare all the specs to compare your landrider's size to another is a good idea for an internet purchase so you don't get a surprise by basing your decision on only one measurement. Sounds like you're in the right range, though, except for that 21.5 model.

A cyclocross bike is more like a road bike, so you might not like the comfort factor, although for longer rides I think it's superior and still will handle mild trails well. I'm not really a fan of hybrids per se. I wouldn't ride a mountain bike for a century, though.

The Marzocchi fork may not have a lockout but doubt at your level that will make a big difference. The Marzocchi is far easier to deal with maintenance wise and will work better; I rarely use a lockout except on extremely long steep climbs, which don't even exist in your area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Marzocchi fork may not have a lockout but doubt at your level that will make a big difference. The Marzocchi is far easier to deal with maintenance wise and will work better; I rarely use a lockout except on extremely long steep climbs said:
You are so right about the climbs here. Well, I did buy the Woodstock 505 19" and it fits perfect for me. I had to get used to the shifting of gears, but I got it and they are so much easeir than any bike I was tortured with before. These are fast and precise.......works for me!
My friend bought the Alpine 550 from IBEX and his bike is nice too. My bike came with another spring for the air side of the fork because there have been some forks that have air leak. They told me to ride that one until I needed that spring. I can do that, lol. I only rode this bike for 6 miles before I got caught in 20 mph wind gusts and rain, kind of fun but got cold real fast. I am waiting for the bar ends to finish personalizing my bike then next weekend will take it out for longer ride. So far both bikes ride nice, have a great feel and are light weight for what we were used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the Woodstock bike I bought

I have been riding my new bike and I LOVE IT. I changed the seat as it was awful but I don't like seats with horns anyway. I got the Sport seat from http://www.blackwellresearch.com/p_seats.htm and I love how that feels. I wish I knew how to post a picture of my bike, lol but it has all kinds of gadgets on it. I just love it. I leave on Friday morning to Chicago to ride the new bike path there and will try to figure out how to post pictures and post one of my bike set up. Thank you all for the help, I think I made the right decision here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts