Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Soloist recently and got fitted for it. I'm not worried about the frame size because for my inseam, the indicated frame size for my inseam mathches the recomended size by the manufacturer.

When the bike store fitted me it took all of maybe 5 minutes. They adjusted the seat height and the setback but nothing was ever done with the stem. When I asked if that was it, he replied that I was pretty proportional and so there wasn't much adjustment needed.

The stock stem itself is 80mm long and I feel it is too short when I am riding. What is the typical length of a stem and how can you determine what the proper reach should be?

Also how long should a fitting session be? The bike store was busy at the time and I feel as though my fitting session was rushed. *sigh*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go back to the shop and let them know you don't feel right on the bike and want to try a longer stem to see how it goes. no charge. Be nice, and if you deal with someone else at the shop, let them know you felt rushed. Any reputable shop should let you make a swap for equal parts in order to optimize fit during the initial period. If they don't oblige, never spend another dime there.

Reach and feel can be very personal depending on what kind of riding you are doing, racing vs touring, you own flexibility, past injuries, etc. You need to balance comfort vs aero.

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
Occidio said:
The stock stem itself is 80mm long and I feel it is too short when I am riding. What is the typical length of a stem and how can you determine what the proper reach should be?
That would depend totally on your frame size. If you're riding a 49 cm frame, the 80mm stem may be too long, whereas if you're on a 61 cm frame, that stem would almost assuredly be too short. There is no way to really determine proper reach, because personal flexibility has such a huge role to play. However, it is most often the case that "if it feels too short, it's probably too short," and the advice of kjk is applicable.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
That would depend totally on your frame size. If you're riding a 49 cm frame, the 80mm stem may be too long, whereas if you're on a 61 cm frame, that stem would almost assuredly be too short. There is no way to really determine proper reach, because personal flexibility has such a huge role to play. However, it is most often the case that "if it feels too short, it's probably too short," and the advice of kjk is applicable.
i'm psychic and i can tell you that he's on a 51cm frame :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried dropping the stem all the way to the bottom of the steering tube placing all the spacers (1" worth of spacers) on top of the stem to try to lengthen the reach.

I usually end up with neck pain right where the big bump is on your neck but after droping the stem furthur down I felt much better. I still had some stiffness but no where near what it was before.

I'm going to take your advice and try to get a longer stem tomorrow.

Oh and yes it is a 51cm frame, lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts