Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On top of everything else in my life, last week my sister (who lives on my land, rent free in a mobile home that I own) asked me if I could replace the kitchen faucet for her if she got one. Ok, any of you who have EVER worked on a mobile home know that NOTHING is standard and EVERYTHING is proprietary. No shut off valves under any sinks....what a nightmare. They are plumbed with non-standard, flexible tubing with crimp fittings. To make a long story short, it took me 6 hours and 3 trips to the hardware store, I bought 6 valves, returned 4, had to take the sink out because even with the basin wrench, the old faucet was NOT coming out in place. Had to fabricate pipe nipples out of the stubs off of the old faucet and modify the sink to accommodate the flexible and rigid tubing coming out of the bottom (entailed grinding a cut out on the center hole so it would fit properly).

I came damn close to taking her dog out for a walk and leaving a pile of newspaper on the stove with a burner on!

BUT...it's done....and it doesn't leak anywhere.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
On top of everything else in my life, last week my sister (who lives on my land, rent free in a mobile home that I own)
I stopped reading after this. :eek:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
I stopped reading after this. :eek:
yeah...it's official, I'm a moron...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at least it didn't leak when I left it...maybe I should go back over and check?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
last friday i had to wrestle with the pos faucet in the powder room. faucet wrench wouldnt work because the nuts were huge (haha), so i had to use my giant set of channel locks. then i couldnt get the couplings to fit right. took much longer than i thought. blood, sweat, and swears.
when i got done The Wife asked what was for dinner. i burned two cheese quesedillas and called it a night.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
weltyed said:
last friday i had to wrestle with the pos faucet in the powder room. faucet wrench wouldnt work because the nuts were huge (haha), so i had to use my giant set of channel locks. then i couldnt get the couplings to fit right. took much longer than i thought. blood, sweat, and swears.
when i got done The Wife asked what was for dinner. i burned two cheese quesedillas and called it a night.
huge soft plastic nuts!

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Have we gone over the part where you're whipped?

// always amazed by the people who actually can, you know, fix stuff.

weltyed said:
last friday i had to wrestle with the pos faucet in the powder room. faucet
wrench wouldnt work because the nuts were huge (haha), so i had to use my giant set of channel locks. then i couldnt get the couplings to fit right. took much longer than i thought. blood, sweat, and swears.

·
What the what???
12,712 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
BUT...it's done....and it doesn't leak anywhere.
At least not anywhere that you can see :)

Plumbing projects are never done...they are only deferred for a while...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
One of my riding buddies is a retired plumber and will do most anything to get out of the house.....I haven't even thought about doing home plumbing jobs since meeting him. Cheap too.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
yeah...it's official, I'm a moron...
You need to lean how to spell ................... it's moreon.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have a rv. i empathize with your anger.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I work with a CNC programmer who is a perfectionist, his son is a plumber and has the same quality. I call him for every plumbing job now -- the few dollars it cost is much better than the headaches of plumbing, which I know all too well. On another note, a friend had to replace a sink in a condo -- the idiots who installed it put it in with liquid nails. He had to borrow a hydraulic floor jack to break it free.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
I always figure on at least 2 trips to the store for any plumbing job, but THAT sounds like a complete PITA

No leaks though--so it's a win!

·
Registered
509 Posts
My last pluming job was a one-tripper and a total of zero 4 letter words, I was amazed. I had to replace rotted out drain pipe under the kitchen sink. The only thing left was the chrome.

·
9,790 Posts
I wrote a bit on my house blog about how much I hate plumbing. I won't bore you with that, but I'll poast a couple of pictures....

Before (sorta)

After

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Opus51569 said:
At least not anywhere that you can see :)

Plumbing projects are never done...they are only deferred for a while...
All projects are deferred for a while.

I am convinced that about every 7 years it is time to do all the maintenance on a house that you did 7 years ago. I'm painting the garage door, the front bay window, and all the window sills on the exterior. On top of that, the garage door just broke and it is the exact same piece I replaced 6 years ago. That happened tonight. The weather proofing on the deck looks like it has another year, maybe 2 at the most, and that was done 5 years ago.

Don't even get me started with car projects. There is always some noise coming from somewhere, a tuneup, or an oil change that needs to be addressed.

The projects are always ondoing for the handyman.

Kudos to TouchoGray. I would have set the place on fire. Spent 6 hours trying to fix the heater core in my wife's Sonata and hadn't even seen the heater core in that time frame with most of the dsah, the front seats, the center console, the steering wheel, and air bags sitting in my garage. Decided it was time for a new car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts