Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone weighed their independent fork? just wondering the weight penalty over a carbon fork because although i'm light and smooth, i do like to bunnyhop.

i.f. quotes 1.25lbs on their website which translates to 568gr! if that's correct i'd take the steel in a heartbeat.

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
Alpha Q lists as 490g
Easton CX 485g
Ritchey WCS cross 450g
Winwood dual cross 640g
Wound Up 545g
Sibex Ti 581g
Surly cross 990g
IF 1260g
Gunnar Crosshairs 890g

I think you're missing a zero....my info comes from speedgoat.com

·
Registered
270 Posts
from www.wrenchscience.com

INDEPENDENT FABRICATION Steel Cross 1 1/8"

Click to enlarge
« Previous :: Next »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choose this fork

Close Window

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDEPENDENT FABRICATION Steel Cross 1 1/8"

TOTAL WEIGHT: 1.25lbs
TOTAL PRICE: ($170.00)

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
not saying its impossible...but we need someone to weight their fork

and take a pic on the scale.

any go getters out there?

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kannas said:
Alpha Q lists as 490g
Easton CX 485g
Ritchey WCS cross 450g
Winwood dual cross 640g
Wound Up 545g
Sibex Ti 581g
Surly cross 990g
IF 1260g
Gunnar Crosshairs 890g

I think you're missing a zero....my info comes from speedgoat.com
very conflicting evidence. i would difinitely like to hear from someone with the fork and a scale.

seems like an if fork should be lighter than a crosscheck fork but 568 does seem very light. i remember posts from zanconato saying how is forks are 600-650gr. anyone know if lugged or unicrown forks are lighter (in general, of course)?

·
Cyclocross fool
448 Posts
I don't know from IF, but my Rock Lobster unicrown fork weighs 887g with about 250mm of steerer. 1260 sounds crazy heavy. My Easton that's on the bike now weighs 497g cut to about 260.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
bikenerd said:
I don't know from IF, but my Rock Lobster unicrown fork weighs 887g with about 250mm of steerer. 1260 sounds crazy heavy. My Easton that's on the bike now weighs 497g cut to about 260.
you like that easton? pros/cons vs the Alpha Q ???

·
Registered
813 Posts
my woundup weighs 595 with 9.25 inch steerer.

theres no way a steel fork weighs less than carbon--unless its a steel fork wrapped in carbon.

jeremy

·
Cyclocross fool
448 Posts
argylesocks said:
you like that easton? pros/cons vs the Alpha Q ???
I've never ridden the Alpha Q 'cross, tho I have a Sub3 on my road bike. I got the Easton because it's light, they had the $100 off deal, and how can you ignore a $550 full carbon fork that has fender eyelets? It rides nice, stiffer than I expected, a little more trail and a little taller than my steel, so it slowed the steering a bit. I didn't get it until February, then I got pnuemonia, so I haven't really crossed on it yet. Watch http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com/ for a review soon.

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lanpope said:
I have a 1 1/8" IF cross fork on my Planet X. It weighs 830 grams cut to length for a stock 56cm frame.

LP
hey, thanks a lot for clearing that up! i'm kind of not suprised that neither of the previous figures were correct!

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
Now flood IF and Speedgoad.com with questions regarding inaccurate information, and consumer fraud....lol

So what's the rule of thumb regarding carbon vrs steel forks? About a LB less?
I think I've heard here the two best ways to get your bang for the buck regarding weight shaving is fork and wheels?

·
Registered
813 Posts
kannas said:
Now flood IF and Speedgoad.com with questions regarding inaccurate information, and consumer fraud....lol

I think I've heard here the two best ways to get your bang for the buck regarding weight shaving is fork and wheels?

Theres a lot of ways to get best bang for buck------just try and spend somewhere around $1 to $1.50 per gram of weight saved.

Yes you can usually drop a lot of grams on the wheels and probably fork, but there are other upgrades you can do to drop small amounts of weight for not a lot of money.

jeremy

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kannas said:

yeah, carbon is probably around a pound less on average. but it depends. i nice steel fork can be close in weight to a nice steel fork. i know zanconato and sachs make pretty damn light forks. my problem is i have a bit of a hang up about carbon cause although i'm smooth i like to hop...

you can save large amounts of weight on a fork and wheels but of couse they're expensive items. there's been a lot of debate recently about wheels and rotational weight and how it's not that big of a deal afterall. well, i think if it's a deal in any discipline then its cross purely due to the fact that you accelerate so much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts