Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this month I asked for opinions on either the Gunnar Roadie or the Cinelli Proxima.
I went for the Proxima....I could save a bit of money and really don't mind aluminum at all, (coming from a Caad 5).
This will be my one and only road bike for training and racing, I can't wait to go for a ride later today!
I tryed to build it on the cheap and I still ended up spending about $1800 dollars on it for the whole bike.

The specs:
Medium Cinelli Proxima frame and fork
Ritchey WCS OS stem and bars
Ritchey WCS carbon post
SLR saddle
Speedplay pedals
Full Dura-Ace 10 speed
Mavic K wheels
Michelin Tires

16.5 lbs on the shop scale as you see it ...the scale maybe off, but it can't be more than 17lbs.

Let me know what you think!!

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
nice, I like the white paint.

What size is that? Maybe I can take it out for a spin ;)

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Nice!

I rarely chime in on new bike posts but that is a sexy machine... Nice balance between the white frame, fork, saddle, and K's...

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Hope you like it! I have a flat black one built up with Ultegra 9. It's a real nice bike, but too small for me--the drop to the bars was killing me.

I liked it a lot--particularly the fork. I've ridden a number of carbon forks, and they all seem either rubbery or too "brittle," but the one on the Cinelli was sweet. If it fits you well, you have a swell bike there.

I should probably sell mine, actually. It would defray the cost of the Kirk custom I wound up on.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
that's a mighty fine steed you've got there. i've never been sure why, but i've always been a sucker for white bikes. congrats!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like white!

I had white on my Cannondale....that made me want an all white frame for my next bike. So if I bought the Gunnar I would have had to pay extra for the white paint job. This was easier and cheaper. I just sent GVH bikes some money and had it delivered in a week!

Here is my Cannondale - before I sold it to get a Turner Burner MTB.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,403 Posts
It's smart that the shop left room so you can mess around with the stem spacers before you make the final cut.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Very nice! I would have probably went with a Gunnar (I'm a ferrophile) but that is a sharp looking bike! How on earth did you build it up with all WCS and D/A 10spd for 1800?? That's some good bargain hunting or something. Enjoy it! :)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Nice Cinelli. I like the mix of DA with the Mavic wheels, the match very well. Let us know it rides. And no Terry, you do not need another bicycle. Nothing like posting the Davidson and the Cinelli to get us a jealous two times in the same thread.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I've been bargain hunting for a while now (a few months), and my LBS gives me great deals (thats what I get for riding w/ the owner)

$500 dollars for the full Dura-Ace groupo from RBR classifieds - the guy was local and wanted a bit more...but w/ cash in hand?
$400 dollars for the Wheels and tires - from a friend - I need new tires.
$605 dollars for the frame and fork including shipping.
$150 dollars for the Stem and seatpost from RBR classifieds shipped.
$65 dollars for the Bars New from LBS.
$100 dollars for the Seat New from LBS.
$10 dollars for bar tape
$60 dollars to put it all together...
Plus, I don't pay tax when I give him cash.

Ok, I'm wrong ...that adds up to $1890.00 + pretty soon I need tires so $70 extra, that's $1960 Total. Wow, maybe I should have not added this up, gathering and saving parts feels cheaper over time.

·
Registered
931 Posts
like terry, i really dig the decals. additionally, white is my fav color on bikes. i have white tape on all my bars, yet i don't have an all-white frame like yours...it's killer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
853 said:
Ok, I'm wrong ...that adds up to $1890.00 + pretty soon I need tires so $70 extra, that's $1960 Total. Wow, maybe I should have not added this up, gathering and saving parts feels cheaper over time.
Nah its fun to buy & build eh?
Very nice job too!
Congrats.
16.5 is good too. You could always see Mike Garcia or Ligero & get lighter wheels later.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
super nice bike mate, and for that kinda money, WOW !

i even like the look of the DA on that bike, very slick ! ;)

quality components too i might add... it totally owns looking at bikes in the store for a lot more with a lot less on them, doesn't it? :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts