Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, today was finally the day. I did my first commute to work on the bike. I've joined the ranks of the certifibly weird according to all my coworkers. It was great...even better than I imagined. The ride in was absolutely peaceful and enjoyable with very little traffic. I really enjoyed the doe that decided to run slightly ahead of me for a while. The ride home was pain with all the GA ******** but I kinda expected that. I was surprisingly very confortable after cleaning up without a shower. I love the Timbuk2 messenger bag but I've got to figure a way to carry less stuff...got a bit heavy after a while, but managable.

I'll definitely do this again. Not tomorrow though as my legs are totally thrashed after 4 straight days of riding over the holiday weekend, but again soon.

Much thanks to the many that have posted commuting tips here. Lurking through many threads helped me tremendously to finally doing this.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
tconrady said:
Well, today was finally the day. I did my first commute to work on the bike. I've joined the ranks of the certifibly weird according to all my coworkers. It was great...even better than I imagined. The ride in was absolutely peaceful and enjoyable with very little traffic. I really enjoyed the doe that decided to run slightly ahead of me for a while. The ride home was pain with all the GA ******** but I kinda expected that. I was surprisingly very confortable after cleaning up without a shower. I love the Timbuk2 messenger bag but I've got to figure a way to carry less stuff...got a bit heavy after a while, but managable.

I'll definitely do this again. Not tomorrow though as my legs are totally thrashed after 4 straight days of riding over the holiday weekend, but again soon.

Much thanks to the many that have posted commuting trips here. Lurking through many threads helped me tremendously to finally doing this.

Good job.

I have been commuting for years and I continuously evolve and refine my commute. I learned to carry less stuff, figured out a routine that saves time, discovered a slight change to my route that takes around 230 feet of climbing out, each day it is something different. It keeps things interesting. ******** help pass the time and the occassional jolt of adrenaline from a side mirror just inches away is good for a burst of speed.

You will find that you can commute every day. At first it seems like you are burning out, but you build your fitness and a few weeks later it becomes easier. I may not be the fastest guy out there, but I am very good at riding between my house and work. I find myself cresting the biggest hill on my route without realizing I climbed it.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
Welcome to our slightly demented world.... "You ride your bike more than 1/4 mile to work??? OMGWTF?!?!" The worst part of my commute is walking past the smoking area in the parking garage. yuck!

You'll find ways to keep a lot of your stuff at work. I keep everything except that day's shirt, boxers, socks and lunch at work. I keep a bunch of pairs of pants hanging on a wall mounted coat rack, and everything else in a lateral file cabinet (except the towel and washcloth, which I also hang).

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
tconrady said:
....I've joined the ranks of the certifibly weird according to all my coworkers. ....
Nope, now you have shown some wisdom and they are still foolish.

tconrady said:
.....I love the Timbuk2 messenger bag but I've got to figure a way to carry less stuff...got a bit heavy after a while, but managable......
Leave some supplies and the heavy stuff at work. Never carry a lock-buy as many extras as you may need for where ever you think you might want to stop and leave a lock there. Keys are a whole lot lighter than a lock.

tconrady said:
....I'll definitely do this again. Not tomorrow though as my legs are totally thrashed after 4 straight days of riding over the holiday weekend, but again soon.
So just ride easy, every commute doesn't have to be a race but commuting can be an excellent recovery ride.

tconrady said:
.....Much thanks to the many that have posted commuting tips here. Lurking through many threads helped me tremendously to finally doing this.
After a few more commutes you can start impressing the noobs yourself! :thumbsup:

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
Welcome to our slightly demented world.... "You ride your bike more than 1/4 mile to work??? OMGWTF?!?!"
Yeah, I got a lot of that yesterday. Apparently, I was the subject matter of the day...at least for this building on our little campus. My division shares a building with our corporate headquarters. I think I spent a good portion of the day fielding questions about it. "How far is it?" was by far the most asked question. They acted like an 18 mile commute was incomprehensible! I figured I'd be looked at kinda like a three-eyed freak. I'm the first one ever in our company to do it.

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
Nope, now you have shown some wisdom and they are still foolish.
:thumbsup: Agreed! Listening to everyone at the office whine about gas prices is getting pretty played out for me. There are alternatives. I think they're just too lazy or complacent to adapt to changing times. Having said that, gas prices were only a very small factor in my decision to start.

MB1 said:
Leave some supplies and the heavy stuff at work. Never carry a lock-buy as many extras as you may need for where ever you think you might want to stop and leave a lock there. Keys are a whole lot lighter than a lock.
I went through my bag when I got home last night and started going through what could be left at the office and what I absolutely needed to have with me. A large towel was nice to have when I was getting cleaned up but it made the bag quite heavy on the way home. I'm either going to leave it at the office for a few days or bring a much smaller one.

MB1 said:
So just ride easy, every commute doesn't have to be a race but commuting can be an excellent recovery ride.
I had read that previously but I was excited yesterday morning. I thoroughly enjoyed the commute in and got caught up in a bit. I did leave out one piece of information in my original post though. A day or two prior I had my rear deraileur cable snap when I was at the bottom of a big hill on a training ride. I climbed it anyway and struggled through the next 5 miles in my 12 until I could get home and replace the cable. I probably should've taken a day off from that adventure before trying to commute.

Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
110 Posts
Well I guess I am crazy also. I used to ride to work back in 01 and 02 but quit when my company moved a little further away than I wanted to ride.

I have a new job now that is 13 miles each way. With gas what it is and I am one of the non-PC people who drives a big old pickup I figured it was time to start riding again. Today was my first day back in the saddle as a commuter.

12.67 miles in 43 minutes. A little on the slow side but I expect the speed to pickup as I get used to the ride. Also I am not used to riding with a backpack on. When I commuted before I rode a hybrid with a rack and saddle bags. My son took that bike with him to college so I am riding my road bike. If I keep commuting this could be a good excuse to get a new bike. :)

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
tconrady said:
. The ride in was absolutely peaceful and enjoyable with very little traffic. .
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Without a doubt, my morning commute is the best part of my day...I don't care what kind of mood I'm in when I leave the house, I'm in a great frame of mind by the time I arrive at work......driving was just the opposite...

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
What, no pictures???

If you're gonna be a commuter you're gonna have to start taking the camera.

I oughta post a fail pic just out of principle!

Also, for a towel how about something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/684305

I used one on my bike tour last spring and I thought it worked pretty good. Sure it's not huge and fluffy, but it's also not huge and fluffy so it'll fit in your bag.

BTW, congrats on riding into work. You will get addicted. Soon you will find yourself wanting to ride your commuter bike more than your go-fast bike.

· Registered
551 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Without a doubt, my morning commute is the best part of my day...I don't care what kind of mood I'm in when I leave the house, I'm in a great frame of mind by the time I arrive at work......driving was just the opposite...
So true. Same goes for going home. If I leave work by bike I have an hour to get some exercise and leave the work at work. By the time I'm home work is something that happened earlier in the day. When I drive it's bumper-to-bumper for an hour and then I'm all worked up when I get home. Commuting is probably one of the most healthy habits (both physically and mentally) I ever started.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I drive in on Monday's and sometimes Wednesday's and leave clothes, food, shoes, belt, towel, and some toiletries at work. When my wife wants to commute I leave a vehicle at her office and we commute back and forth but still have a vehicle to get around town if necessary. My commute is 23 miles and I put everything I need into a Camelback HAWG with no issues at all.

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris H said:
What, no pictures???

If you're gonna be a commuter you're gonna have to start taking the camera.

I oughta post a fail pic just out of principle!

Also, for a towel how about something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/684305

I used one on my bike tour last spring and I thought it worked pretty good. Sure it's not huge and fluffy, but it's also not huge and fluffy so it'll fit in your bag.

BTW, congrats on riding into work. You will get addicted. Soon you will find yourself wanting to ride your commuter bike more than your go-fast bike.
Thanks for the heads up on the towel! I thought about taking some pictures but there was no way I was lugging the D80 with me. I'll try to con Mrs tcon out of her point and shoot tomorrow.

Unfortunately my commuting bike and my go fast bike are one and the same. I'm hoping that I can commute enough to justify getting a dedicated commuter/touring bike. I think that if I save up the money I won't be spending on gas that it will happen sooner rather than later. I can already see where panniers would be a nice luxury to have.

· Registered
26 Posts
Ridgetop

I want to start commuting . My distance will be 26 mi oneway. How bad is the mornings sweat factor in your riding jersey-socks-shorts for the evening ride?!!:confused:

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ridgetop said:
I drive in on Monday's and sometimes Wednesday's and leave clothes, food, shoes, belt, towel, and some toiletries at work. When my wife wants to commute I leave a vehicle at her office and we commute back and forth but still have a vehicle to get around town if necessary. My commute is 23 miles and I put everything I need into a Camelback HAWG with no issues at all.
That's a good idea about leaving the stuff when you drive in. My original plan was to commute by bike 2-3 days a week and then take the motorcycle the rest of the days. I'd take the car only on days when it was raining in the morning. I just cleared out a file drawer for my toiletries and shoes and I think I'm going to look for a spot to hang some clothes.

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
az_will said:
I want to start commuting . My distance will be 26 mi oneway. How bad is the mornings sweat factor in your riding jersey-socks-shorts for the evening ride?!!:confused:
I was worried about that too before I tried it. I took a sink bath in one of the restrooms that locks. With two washclothes and a towel I was able to wash my hair & body and get cleaned up rather nicely. A few days before I actually commuted, I came home after a ride and decided to see how cleaned up I could get without a shower just using a sink. It takes me a few minutes longer but I felt clean and fresh afterwards.

Edit: After I was confident with my test sink bath run, I decided it didn't really matter how sweaty I got on the way in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.