Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know it can be a single speed too but I think it will pretty much stay fixed. I've only done a couple rides so far but I love it. I think it'll be my new "getting around bke", especially since it took nearly $40 to fill up my little car the other day...sheesh.
The weirdest thing was what I can only think of as leg vertigo after my first ride (6-7miles?). I kept feeling phantom pedalling in my legs for like 45 minutes after. There will be some good changes to the rig in the coming weeks.
Sorry about the pic its from my phone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice, I picked up one of those in March, threw on a B-17 and some fenders and it's served as my nasty weather bike this Spring. I've only ridden it fixed but had the shop outfit it both fixed and with a freewheel in case I decide to tackle a long ride and my legs poop out. Sure can't be beat for the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
good choice!
ss/fixed cross bikes are very versatile.
i have the specialized tricross single and love it.
i rode it 6 months freewheel, switched to fixed and haven't looked back.
a few weeks ago i even did a 50 mile road ride (fixed) through napa on it.
get a fender for the rainy days and i assure you'll never leave the house without it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally I think I would rather have the Surley frame but this will do for now and I got it for a pretty good deal on closeout. Eventually after all the other parts are upgraded I'll maybe get the Surley frame next year.
After a couple more rides the phanton pedaling thing is gone, I think thats from back pedalling or something, not sure. I was suprised by how fast I can get going with only having the 42-17 and how comfortable it is at slow speeds as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pretender said:
Chain tension looks a bit high.

Not sure why you would prefer a cross-check frame over the Bianchi for singlespeed or fixed.

I think you'll want a lower gear than 42/17 if you go offroad. Consider the Surly dingle cog.

That looks like a rockin' bike.
I thought about the dingle, but really I'll use this thing everywhere and at least at this point I think the 17t will serve all my purposes (getting around town, fun rides with friends, and some sick offroad training).
I've always really liked the styling of the cross-check, its ability to accept really fat tires, road or mountain rear hubs, geared or fixed. Very innovative frame. Having said that the more I look at the Bianchi frame the more it grows on me and really for what I want it for I really don't need to change much. Well, it will be getting some cosmetic changes soon.
BTW I decided to name her, which is something I really never do usually......Monica, after Monica Bellucci my other favorite Italian. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dude, don't kid yourself. That Bianchi frame is sweet looking. I like the white panels. Classic look. Like I mentioned earlier, the reason I went with the Surly was that I had most of the build at home.

I'll be doing commuting and gravel roads on mine, I'm going with what I have for gearing (42x16). I do have a 39T that I could throw on there. I run 42x14 on my road fixie. A little steep, but I keep telling myself I'll grow into it.

What changes are you going to make?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
J-No said:
Dude, don't kid yourself. That Bianchi frame is sweet looking. I like the white panels. Classic look. Like I mentioned earlier, the reason I went with the Surly was that I had most of the build at home.

I'll be doing commuting and gravel roads on mine, I'm going with what I have for gearing (42x16). I do have a 39T that I could throw on there. I run 42x14 on my road fixie. A little steep, but I keep telling myself I'll grow into it.

What changes are you going to make?
Brooks Flyer saddle, Brooks handlebar tape on Midge bars, change the hoods to the brown color, and make panniers our of the khaki WWII dutch backpacks I ordered.
Oh yeah and Challenge Griffo clinchers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lithuania said:
wheels for sure but I might upgrade most of the components to try and lighten it up a bit. im hoping to buy a new frame next year so I might buy a bunch of nice components that I can eventually swap over.
I was thinking some Stan's ZTR 355 rims laced up to some Surly hubs would rock. (In anticipation of the Raven tire of course)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.