Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Great time in the saddle. I did my first mass sponsored ride today, to kick off my summer cycling season.

The suburban cyclist unlimited quad metric. The offered other routes too:

• 26 mile 1265 ft. climbing
  • 47 mile 2,625 ft climbing aka 45
  • 55 mile ICU 3,778 ft climbing aka 53 ICU (Intensive Climbing Unit)
  • 68 mile 3,520 ft climbing
  • 80 VICU mile 5,750 ft climbing (Very Intensive Climbing Unit)
  • 100 mile (Billy Goats Gruff Challenge) 7,400 ft climbing

I chose the 80 mile to challenge myself but not to get discouraged. The first few miles were tough yes, 13 miles in i felt like cutting it short, i kept telling myself just get to mile 35 and you can finish thing. After the climb at mile 35, the rain let up a little a bit and i started clicking. I gutted it out and kept on going until my garmin said we reached the end LOL. I was primarily by myself with brief infrequent stops at food stands setup by the sponsor. Once i got down to the last 10 miles that is when i really started to feel great, and saw more people. Although my overall average speed was 14.2mph, i am very satisfied with this as i completed all the climbs on the course without having to walk any of them.

Maybe i will start to do more rides that are out of my comfort level. I genuinely thought i was going to bail on this ride altogether for the following reasons:
  • Waking up at 6am
  • Riding in the rain
  • i hadn't done anything longer than 40 miles for the season
  • And I did not sleep at all the night before
  • I had a crappy breakfest

But those would have been excuses for not having one of the better if not best ride of my cycling life.

Lesson learned just get out there and ride and dont make an excuse. Where there is a will and fire in your heart there is absolutely a way.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Congrats Pit! Great ride!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Well done, sir. And that's a perfectly respectable speed for a hilly ride in the rain. Toughing out a long ride in rough weather gives one of the best feelings of achievement.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Just curious, what sort of food did you eat for breakfast? and how long before the start time did you eat?

My rule of thumb for eating before a ride is eat 120-150 calories (depending on body weight, bigger guys can eat more, smaller guys eat less) for every 1 hour before a long ride. So 2 hrs before ride time allows for 240-300 cal, 3 hrs is 360-450 cal. And eat preferably liquid carbohydrate food, not solid food, and definitely not solid fatty/protein food. Some guys will stuff an egg McMuffin with hash brown before a ride thinking that this will fuel him for a century, that's a no no unless he only wants to keep it at zone 1/2 for the initial 1 - 1.5 hrs of a ride (which we know he won't).

If I anticipate that I will do a long hard ride tomorrow, and I anticipate to go hard from the get go, then starting from the previous night, I will ingest mostly carb in mostly liquid or easily digestible form (eg., fruits, bananas) for calories at the rate of about 100-120 calories/hr. This will keep the liver glycogen constantly topped off and stomach content is cleared fast. Optimal fueling starts from the day and evening before, not the morning of the ride. Biggest mistake people make is stuff a huge meal in like 1 hr before a ride thinking that they will be able to just slowly digest it during their ride, which is not gonna happen if they go harder than zone 2.

·
Registered
132 Posts
some of the rides i've had the most fun doing had the worse weather. nice weather isn't memorable, it doesn't push you. crappy weather...that's where it's at.

adversity doesn't build character, it's reveals it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Nice job man! And as Cavilia stated above...........that is a great avg speed for that much elevation.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Nice job Pitt - Well done - Shut up Legs!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good job. Riding in bad weather is good for you. Invest in a good rain jacket and some fenders. They make a big difference

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Nice job, Mike!

And I did not sleep at all the night before
Yeah, that's you... I'll tell you a secret: I think you're a much better cyclist than you think you are. You have no reason to go into panic mode for a little ride like that. Grow a pair, and relax, dude, you'll be fine. More than fine, actually.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I ride rain or shine and my coworkers look askance. I tell both them and myself that if I only rode in nice weather then I might as well not own a bicycle.

Nice ride. I looked at your Strava stats and your heart must have been coming out of your chest on some of those climbs, particularly Kulps.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job, Mike!

Yeah, that's you... I'll tell you a secret: I think you're a much better cyclist than you think you are. You have no reason to go into panic mode for a little ride like that. Grow a pair, and relax, dude, you'll be fine. More than fine, actually.
Its not nerves about the ride, i am an insomniac i didn't take my sleep med because i didn't want to oversleep and not do the ride.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
Its not nerves about the ride, i am an insomniac i didn't take my sleep med because i didn't want to oversleep and not do the ride.
Good job. Great avg speed. --Does benadryl work for you? I usually feel fine by about 5am if I take one as late as 10pm.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Be careful with diphenhydramine (active ingredient in Benadryl and Nyquil) as a sleep aid. Be sure your doctor knows you are taking it regularly.

It can cause heart problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts