Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background- I got started in cycling in the saddle of a mountain bike. After a few seasons of trail riding I began looking into the whole skinny tire thing. Initially I was hesitant but after a while made my first road bike purchase in March of last year. Honestly, since then I have never looked back. I have fallen in love with all things Roadie, and that includes following the pro races on VS.

So it was last year that I watched the TDF for the first time. Man, I thought it was great. In fact the whole family got into it. We loved watching Rasmussen climb and the heroics of Vino after his crashes. And one by one every rider that we got behind turned out to be cheats. It sucked, it sucked bad. I'm sure that there are others that have cheated and just not been caught, but last year for this new "roadie" was tough.

So, I say good job VS- for me your commercial at the same time expresses the disappointment of last year's stupidity and also conveys the desire to move on and bring some honor back to Le Tour.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
rkb said:
A little background- I got started in cycling in the saddle of a mountain bike. After a few seasons of trail riding I began looking into the whole skinny tire thing. Initially I was hesitant but after a while made my first road bike purchase in March of last year. Honestly, since then I have never looked back. I have fallen in love with all things Roadie, and that includes following the pro races on VS.

So it was last year that I watched the TDF for the first time. Man, I thought it was great. In fact the whole family got into it. We loved watching Rasmussen climb and the heroics of Vino after his crashes. And one by one every rider that we got behind turned out to be cheats. It sucked, it sucked bad. I'm sure that there are others that have cheated and just not been caught, but last year for this new "roadie" was tough.

So, I say good job VS- for me your commercial at the same time expresses the disappointment of last year's stupidity and also conveys the desire to move on and bring some honor back to Le Tour.
then sign up at their sissy sight.

it's rude and offensive.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bas said:

it's rude and offensive.
Well, your response seems to have some passion behind it that my newness does not understand. So if you could kindly explain your post I would appreciate it.:)

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
rkb said:
Well, your response seems to have some passion behind it that my newness does not understand. So if you could kindly explain your post I would appreciate it.:)
haha ok :blush2:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=137380

i see where they are coming from - but they need to give it up (VS).

floyd's testing was probably flawed as it was pointed out. oh well.
and to have zabel up there and in the race with his child stepping down from a doping admission for 10 years ago is sad.

and this won't help current or previous or NEW sponsors needed for the sport.

poor phonak, bianchi, astana... etc..

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bas said:
i see where they are coming from - but they need to give it up (VS).
Thanks- as I said I lack the background knowledge to understand much beyond last year's circus.

One impression that I did get though- While watching the last stage of the 07 tour, VS had LA in the booth. I thought he acted like he wanted nothing to do with bike racing. Maybe he was having a bad day, or he is fed up with the politics of the tour and the latest scandals. I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt, but on that impression he did not seem like that great of a guy.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,340 Posts
T-Doc said:
+10000....they need to give it a rest. Continually putting it in people's faces just makes it worse.
Indeed. Reminding everyone how dirty the sport has been fairly consistently does NOT help anyone.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Room 1201 said:
Indeed. Reminding everyone how dirty the sport has been fairly consistently does NOT help anyone.
Yes, I certainly can see that. At least they don't show Boonen sitting in front of a mountain of coke, ala Al Pacino in Scarface-snicker :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
rkb said:
I'm willing to give the benefit of doubt, but on that impression he did not seem like that great of a guy.
LA is not a touchy-feely kind of guy, so he can be a little (or a lot) off-putting at times.

It is important to note that at the time of last year's TdF Sliptream Sports, in which LA has an equity stake, was in the final throes of giving up the sport. They had not been able to find a sponsor to replace Discovery and they had a lot of other concerns about the health of the sport. (Take deep breath here in preaparation for the volley of LA and JB haters to chime in). So he was genuinely upset and depressed about the situation.

JSR

·
mosca
168 Posts
I think there is a lot of cynicism regarding the doping in the peloton(justifiably so) and this really applies to myself who's been following the Euro peloton since the 90's. if you knew the ugly, checkered and convoluted history that has existed for many years it would make some sense to object to the sensational nature of those commercials. heck, there are current riders in the Tour which are riding with a cloud (Valverde). I think the American equilavent is the recent revelations in Major League Baseball. Roger Clemens is the all-american hero and a comparison to Lance in that respect. I understand your feelings about your family and last year's Tour, I had a hard time discussing with my son about his hero's dubious past(Sammy Sosa). It was painful for him and myself.

the question is the direction to take in this anti-doping stance. I think naming names(essentially by showing the images of Vino, Ullrich, Landis, Rasmussen, Zabel, Millar, each one of these riders have a different story) is not the way to go. credibility needs to be restored but is this really the way to portray it. I'd rather they didn't give those guys any more press and we move on. some of those guys confessed and served penalties so how is it fair to lump them with guys who are completely unwilling to come clean. I do believe things are headed in the right direction, though. there will always be cheats but the sport needs to continue to lead in reducing the opportunities for it.

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bnoojin I do believe things are headed in the right direction said:
Thanks for your explanation, with your thoughts, I better understand the responses on this and the other thread that was referenced.

For the newb like myself, understanding the tactics of the race can be challenging, much less the politics involved. I must admit, sometimes my eyes glaze over and I just try and see what cool equipment the pros are riding. :confused:

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
JSR said:
LA is not a touchy-feely kind of guy, so he can be a little (or a lot) off-putting at times.

It is important to note that at the time of last year's TdF Sliptream Sports, in which LA has an equity stake, was in the final throes of giving up the sport. They had not been able to find a sponsor to replace Discovery and they had a lot of other concerns about the health of the sport. (Take deep breath here in preaparation for the volley of LA and JB haters to chime in). So he was genuinely upset and depressed about the situation.

JSR
I'm being nitpicky here, but it was Tailwind Sports and not Slipstream Sports that was Postal/Disco's ownership group.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
bas said:

it's rude and offensive.
I think it's rude, offensive, repetitive, and out dated for all those that think about pro cycling on a daily basis. (Which is all most all of us in this forum.)

However, for the casual observer of pro cycling, they watch one pro race a year, the Tour de France.

For those viewers, which I suspect constitute the lion share of viewers for VS, this commercial is spot on to their perspective of cycling, and they long for a voice telling cycling that it needs to clean up its act. They probably don't know of the higher doping controls going on with some pro teams, and They certainly haven't heard it on ESPN, or the Bicycling Magazine they pick up at the airport once every 4 months.

I don't think its a bad move either. The avid watchers will view the Tour through a kaleidoscope if we need to, and a casual fan (like my family and friends) love the 15 sec. spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.