Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I ever posted a picture of the finished build of my '84 Trek 400....I run ss for the summer and fixed for the winter. Due to the dropouts I need different chains for the ratios I am using...so changing is not as easy as flipping the wheel...
50/16 ss, 50/19 fixed....formula rear hub laced to a 27" rim, soma cog, shimanno free rest is pretty much stock..... Tange mangalloy frame....old "chopped ideal saddle, (new copper rivets)

She's a good bike.....stable and comfortable

and RED

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, left brake lever is all scuffed up from laying it down on the ice...I gotta tear the thing apart and grease the bottom bracket, she's kinda squawking when I am up on the pedals...I really want 700's on it but.....I am not sure why.....it's just a utility "vehicle"...fenders are poly-carbonate.....clamped and zip-tied...rack is good for a 6-pak or a box of wine.....lol

I've got about 70 bucks into it....(rear wheel) rest is stuff I had....so the cost was....uh...well you know as well as anyone...once you own it it's FREE...least that's what the wife hears...lol

so you shave your stems yet?........that's gonna be ONE itchey SOB when it grows back....

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just caught it...yer gonna have to get some RED heels of your very own.......you're wife's seem a bit small....

how they going to work with the clipless agai?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome, I just got an 85 Trek 400, I'm currently building it up as a single speed with time trial bars and brakes, 700c shimano 600/campy wheels, 105 headest, etc. It really is a sweet bike. Is it really hard to dial chain length with those mini semi vert dropouts? I'm still missing a drivetrain...

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Stubecontinued said:
Awesome, I just got an 85 Trek 400, I'm currently building it up as a single speed with time trial bars and brakes, 700c shimano 600/campy wheels, 105 headest, etc. It really is a sweet bike. Is it really hard to dial chain length with those mini semi vert dropouts? I'm still missing a drivetrain...
Just use a 1/8" chain and you can dial in a troublesome fit with a half-link. One of our mechanics just did that when he realized 48-16 was too big a gear and put in an 18 cog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.