Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted here a couple of weeks ago asking about supports for saddle bags. Tried to describe the one I had that worked so well.

While the Bagmans and and others, I am sure work well. They are overkill to an extent. This is the one I was looking for. Fits around the seat stays, on and off in seconds. Makes a nice little stable support for the underside of the bag, I use the PVC just as a standoff from the seatpost to move the bag further out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of differences.

I have had this for 20 years. There are no fastenings, bolts, or any other hardware involved. And this fits on the stays, not the seatpost, sits nice and low on the stays and supports the bag from underneath.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eddie m said:
Where did you get it?

I bought it at a bike shop years ago, seemed like the perfect rack to me. Small, light, easy to put on and take off, etc.

Haven't seen anything like it for a long time.

That said I was told that Rivendell have something similar in their print catalogue. I have ordered a copy of the catalogue so will be interesting to see if their updated version is the same idea, same sense of simplicity.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,136 Posts
Wow, I like the rack Jim. What a rather innovative design. Are there no marking or identifications on it? On another note, nice to see Edmonton win one and make the series close.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne, there are no markings of any sort. I recall that when I bought it it was one of those "hole in the wall" shops and I think it was attached to a cardboard hanger.

I have always liked it because it just does one thing, it holds the saddle bag up and out of the way. There's no bolts screws or any other fiddling around so you can even put it on your good bike if you want and take it off quick before any of your friends see you ;).

I am looking forward to getting the Rivendell Catalogue to see if what they are making is as simple and elegant.

·
Misfit Toy
23,437 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I am looking forward to getting the Rivendell Catalogue to see if what they are making is as simple and elegant.
I had the cataloge, but it's vanished somewhere. If it's not similar to what you have, I'd send a picture to Rivendell - I bet they'd consider something like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snapdragen said:
I had the cataloge, but it's vanished somewhere. If it's not similar to what you have, I'd send a picture to Rivendell - I bet they'd consider something like that.

I will do that.

I phoned them and ordered a catalogue so should be here this week.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I am not trying to start a flame war but...

If you are going to strap a small leather suitcase on the back of your saddle that requires additional support, why wouldn't you just get a clamp on rack that attaches to your seatpost that will hold a nylon rectangular shaped bag on top of it. You can take the whole thing off when not needed.

Is this more about getting a traditional look than function?

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
holy flame war batman!!!

bigrider said:
...Is this more about getting a traditional look than function?
come on - don't be a troll. next thing you know, someone will write back and accuse black nylon rack trunks of having no style or soul - but it won't be me ;)

some folks like seat bags. seat bags suit their needs. for them, such a simple wire support is the perfect solution. and heck, i'm no weenie but consider the weight difference between the two methods. IMHO the seatpost rack is all about looks because it's overkill for light weights, yet unsuitable for heavier loads that its hefty appearance implies it might carry. but i'm not trying to start a flame war...

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bigrider said:

If you are going to strap a small leather suitcase on the back of your saddle that requires additional support, why wouldn't you just get a clamp on rack that attaches to your seatpost that will hold a nylon rectangular shaped bag on top of it. You can take the whole thing off when not needed.

C'mon! How are you gonna get the classy babes with something so gauche bolted onto your seatpost? Nuthin sez "I am a hyperintelligent professorial type" like a saddle bag!

Pip pip, and all that,

FBB

·
Registered
91 Posts
bigrider said:

I agree
The rack I have mounts to the bike in the usual 4 spots. I have nylon rectangular bag for the rack. I wish I had not bought this style rack. For me it was a waste of money as I would rather have the seat post mounted rack for the rare occasion I need it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.