Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pedaling Like Mad
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I inherited my dads house, I found an old Sears 3-speed step-through, probably made by Huffy or Murray decades ago. It had a chrome frame, fenders and a white vinyl seat. It was in shabby shape, or so I thought. I was in a hurry to move in and had no time for such stuff, so I wrote it off outright and tossed it on the porch.

I put the bike on Freecycle this past week, offering it to anyone who wanted to come get it out of my way. The tires were flat, it was dusty and tarnished and, frankly, I had no aspirations for it. Well, I got a taker and she was coming today to get it.

Out of courtesy, I got it out and took a close look. As I thought, it looked neglected and haggard, but I pumped up the tires, anyway. What do you know - they held air, with a decent sidewall and good tread showing. So I did what any crankhead would do... I took it for a spin.

And you know what? It was a nice ride! It was adjusted all wrong for my size, but the gear shifter worked and changed the gears, the brakes in front stopped it and both wheels ran true. Aside from knocking a mud daubers nest out of the fender well and a rear brake that only worked [email protected] - it was pretty sweet.

Alicia, the new owner, came and got it this evening and was thrilled. She recently had debilitating back surgery and riding an upright bicycle is about all she can do, physically. If all works out, the bike will be her stepping stone to recovery; she hopes to go back to running again, one day soon.

I was pleased that the bike might be put to such beneficial use. But I did ask that if she found the bike was no longer needed at any time, to please call me. In fact, I was going to call her myself, from time to time, and check on her progress. Hopefully, she WON'T need it for long and I'll get it back!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Good on you. When you're kind and do nice things for people it gives you a great feeling, doesn't it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
dahut said:
I was pleased that the bike might be put to such beneficial use. But I did ask that if she found the bike was no longer needed at any time, to please call me. In fact, I was going to call her myself, from time to time, and check on her progress. Hopefully, she WON'T need it for long and I'll get it back!
If you gave away your bike, it should be free and clear without contingencies. Let her enjoy the bike without you checking up on her and wanting the bike back.

My condolences regarding your father, time to let go…

·
Pedaling Like Mad
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Norboo said:
If you gave away your bike, it should be free and clear without contingencies. Let her enjoy the bike without you checking up on her and wanting the bike back.

My condolences regarding your father, time to let go…
I understand what you are saying - I don't really intend to clutch after the bike now that she has it. It was said "tongue in cheek." That probably wasn't made clear enough.
If I don't get it back, there are no problems or lingering concerns. Really.

In fact I have tossed and/or given away more stuff than you can possibly imagine. In cleaning out one house and moving another, 20 year residence, I have seized the opportunity to "repack my bags," as it were.

I now have six shirts, for example - six. Where once there was a closet full of unworn items, I have only those few things I actually wore or really liked. If it didn't fit in a rigorous few boxes, it was given to charity, Freecycled away or sent to the recycler.
One family got a like new washer and dryer, tables, beds, kitchen items, etc. They moved here with nothing and really needed them - and I didnt need them so much as they did.

But clearing out my parents and getting rid of all their stuff was hard... I spent more than a few teary eyed moments, upon finding some little trinket or personal thing of theirs that had sentimental meaning. Until you do it, you don't know how hard that is. I hope you don't ever have to.

So she enjoys the bike (I hope) and I am getting another for my commute to work as a reward to myself for all this. It's a win-win.
Thanks for the comments and condolences.

·
Pedaling Like Mad
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Good on you. When you're kind and do nice things for people it gives you a great feeling, doesn't it?
Yes, and it often comes back to you if it is done without conditions. The same people I gifted a good many household things to in our move, were the first to come back and pitch in to help.

As another poster said, good karma...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.