Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved from our little bunker we had before to to the top floor of one of the newer buildings. I chose the office I wanted because it had two windows on one wall with a big beam in between them.

Most people saw this as a drawback and think that I messed up in choosing the one I did. But slowly everyone else is learning that yes, while having a wall full of windows is nice, when those windows face west things can get a little hot and bright and annoying.

They have shades, but they honestly don't do a whole lot. And what's the point of having windows if you have to cover them all the time?

The other office I was considering not only had the full wall of windows, but it is a little bigger than the one I chose.

Why didn't I choose that one? Because the water cooler has to go in there. I value my Netflix time at work and don't want to have to be stopping and starting my Law and Order up every 10 minutes while people get a drink of water.

Not to mention that the other offices I had to choose from had the computer screens viewable from outside the office. Eff that. I want to be able to look at Gut's FB without anyone hassling me.

Also: the offices have motion sensor lights that you can't really turn off. Even when you turn them off, they will still come on when someone walks in the room.

I hate overhead florescent lights, and I have windows, so it's a win. So I took a piece of card stock and cut it and taped it over the sensor. Sweet. The only problem is that everyone who walks in to my office (except me) is an idiot.

"What's this?" followed by touching the covered sensor... the lights flick on.

"Oh... haha! You covered the sensor! that's smart!"

Then they walk out of my office without turning the lights off. Then I have to stop my Law and Order and get up and turn the lights back off.

The view from one of my windows.

joe

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
I don't know...that balcony is going to make it more difficult for you to do a suicide dive if you're ever indicted for embezzlement or corporate espionage. Other than that, it sounds like a good deal.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I loves my office window....until some doofus parks just so and I have a solar death ray glare blinding me. Usually that's not the case and I love my window...especially when I get to watch storms approach.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nice diggs! We moved offices a year ago. I went from a nice window office, to a warehouse syle area with zero windows... not even the managers have windows in their office. I would quite literally take a pay cut for an office that has windows.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hollywood said:
I'm gonna track you down and press my bare chest against your new window. "oh Billy"

// stand in front of it holding a cup of coffee and make important decisions. kthx

I've got my camera.

hello internets $$$ www.barechestedhollywood.com

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New_World_Man said:
Nice diggs! We moved offices a year ago. I went from a nice window office, to a warehouse syle area with zero windows... not even the managers have windows in their office. I would quite literally take a pay cut for an office that has windows.

It's nice. The office I was in before was huge, but it felt like a bomb shelter: cinderblock walls that were painted white ad nnot a single window for the three of us in the three offices there.

Not to mention that flies somehow managed to get in all the time. gag.

I like being able to look outside and see the mountains. It's smoggy right now, but on clear days it'll be gorgeous.

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Creakyknees said:
awesome! can you get access to that roof for deck chair purposes?

Yeah, we can get there, but not through our offices. We have to go out and through part of a conference room.

joe

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I hate my window. It forces me to waste RBR time by watching squirrels and chipmunks run around the tree outside. It also doesn't help with the daydreaming about being in the mountains out there.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I have a cubicle that's more rectangular than square. It's about 12x6. No windows. I do have an AC vent directly over head though.

Everyone tells me I have the worst cubicle ever. I disagree. It's the least populated and traveled area of the office....plus I can't hear other people talking on their phones.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
We have a cornucopia of wildlife outside my window. Deer, birds, huge spiders (eight legged, not seven), chippies and squirrels, even had a snake once.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
And here I thought I was doing well because I just got to move to a new cube that has enough space for my bike, eliminating the need to figure out who's not in the office that day.....

I can post a pic from the window I have (2 x 2, lower sill approximately 6' from the floor), but I don't think anybody wants to see the back of the air handler on the roof (that's ~ 3' from the window).

Should have been an academic :-(

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I just got new office on Monday and then got a raise today! This is a good week so far!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still haven't gotten my raise. Going to ask about it again either this week or next.

joe

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like your decision making. Sigh... the only office window I've ever had looked out into a 14-foot window well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts