Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Duty

I ordered a groupset for $690 cdn ans ended up paying $110 duty. It happens every now and again. Still a great deal.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Depending on what you ordered, duties might be due..The problem(or good thing) is that the USPS had virtually no controls in place to collect them....Most shipments never get caught.....

I work for the large purple and orange air freight company and trust me, we access duties on everything where duties are due...The big brown company does too....

when I order from overseas I always ask the company to ship via post so it ends up in the USPS because I almost never get charged duty

consider yourself lucky that most of your shipments haven't gotten charged

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think it's random... I have never been hit with the duty (the Queen must like me) in all my orders with PBK (2 in the 6 weeks), while a friend got hit with his first order from PBK! Go figure...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
what is your duty law like?

AUS isn't exactly 'free market' - but all personal imports are free of tax/duty for value under 1k AUD incl shipping.

·
Registered
90 Posts
kingpin said:
I ordered a groupset for $690 cdn ans ended up paying $110 duty. It happens every now and again. Still a great deal.
I doubt that you paid duty. You were probably charged PST & GST (13%) plus an $ 8.00 handling fee or something like that. If the seller marks the package as "bicycle components" there is, to my knowledge, no applicable duty.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Note increased odds of getting randomly selected for duty inspection due to the extraordinarily low volume of package mail right now. They still process the same amount regardless of the flow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is my first post so hi to everyone,

I discovered PBK a month ago and since then I placed 5 orders. I never had to pay anything on delivery...since today. I received a 91$ cdn cassette and had to pay 4.58$+7.22$ for gst and pst, 5.00$ for handling fee.

I ask the postman why this time I had to pay taxes and handling fee, I wasn't shure but told me it must be the amount.

On my 5 orders, this was the most expensive by 8$ so is there a amount under wich we don't have to pay taxes...at least in Canada or is it a random thing:confused:

BTW please excuse my poor english

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have paid PST and GST plus a small handling fee on all my purchases. I paid duty once because some smart guy at Canada Customs decided that bicycle parts were recreational equipment and they charged me 6.5% duty on top. Therefore it is important that thew shipper clearly marks the content as bicycle components

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I've ordered from PBK about 6 times over the years. I usually get pasted with duties and a $5 handling fee. I live in Canada.The week before I ordered 2 latex tubes plus a seatpost which was about $40 and I had to pay $9 in duties and handling.

I do remember reading a RBR thread about duties, and so gave their advice a try. It said if it's bike parts under $20 then you are in the safe zone. So I ordered a seatpost for 13 pounds which was about $23 CDN and was charged no duties or handling. Compare this $23 I paid to the $95 plus 14% tax that they were charging in stores (for the same seatpost).

So if you can, divide the order up into small pieces (under $20), since shipping is free at PBK. All in all though, even though the duties are usually charged to me, it is a better deal than a random bike shop in Ottawa. If someone wants to wade through the Customs Regulations it's all available on the appropriate Government Website, I couldn't make sense of it though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just got $133.00 order from PBK via mail, Royal mail. It was market as a gift and said bicycle accessories in the item description and stated the actual cost. Did not get charged any taxes or duties here in California. Never paid duties from them in about 6 orders.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My order from wiggle arrived today...

via USPS and the deliveryman said he had to have $80 for COD on the wheels and seat I ordered. WTF? The total order including $25 S&H was $494! What the hell is the almost 20% charge all about? I had my wife refuse it until I find out what the charges are actually for. If it is "Duties and Tax", I guess I have to pay it. But if one of the freight companies or 3rd party handlers tack on an extra charge, there will be some reprecusssions. I decline the order and have my CC company retract the charges.

TJ

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
You can always appeal for a refund of the wrongfully charged duty/tax from the Postal Service. At least in Canada we could.

On the back of the receipt of the duty/taxes you paid, is where you can fill out details as to what was incorrectly charged and you can note down the amount you feel you should get refunded.

For bicycle parts we only need to the GST and not the PST, as well as there is no duty. On a couple of separate occasions, I was charged both taxes for a wheelset and some hubs. I just filled out the form as well as attaching a copy of the invoice proving the parts are indeed bicycle parts, and a few weeks later I got my refund in the mail. As for the case with the wheels, I got back CAD$75 on the PST.

So even if you had agreed to pay for the duty/tax upon receiving the item, you can still ask for a refund. It's not a complete loss yet

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Everyone needs to be sure what they're really talking about.

The possible charges on imported goods are -

Duty - a taxation on imports levied by the government. Their bible sets out just what is dutiable and at what rate. All items differ drastically. Call them up and they will tell you.
Brokerage Fees - charges by the shipping company levied for their services of bringing your goods through Customs. Many shippers (UPS, FedEx etc) are private companies out to make a profit. Usually it's a percentage of total value of goods.
Taxes - levied by your country, state or province. Usually what you would pay if you shopped at the LBS.
Handling Fee - in Canada this is usually a flat $5 fee charged by the Post Office for their part in bringing your goods through Customs in lieu of Brokerage Fees.

Bottom line - for the least amount of charges, insist that any shipment is sent through the Postal service and NOT via private shipping companies (UPS etc).

Edit - those of us who import lots of stuff sometimes catch a break and a shipment comes through with no charges. If the package value was high enough that charges should have applied then we just got a lucky break this time. It happens occasionally and is a nice surprise.

A person can go to the Port Of Entry of their stuff and act as their own Broker then no brokerage fees will apply. Taxes will though. Plus you can bring the stuff across a border yourself and not declare it - this is called Smuggling, for which you can go to jail.

·
extremely biased
870 Posts
As this realtes to whole bikes, you can look the HTS to determine how likely you are to get snagged. From my days at the BEA bikes are more specifically 8712.00.xx in the HTS. The "xx" is debateable ablout what we're talking about. Both wheels are bigger than 63.5cm in diameter for use with tire haveing a cross sectional diameter of no more than 4.13cm and it weighs less than 16.6 kg (I hope ). If we take that interpretation of the HTS then the applicable sub code is .25 making the tariff 5.5% and the whole code 8712.00.25 suffix 00. If I recall (probably not), "bicycle componets" may fall into 8712.04 or .05 and the further sub-classification.

However, the government my try to argue, let me rephrase, the government will argue that it's an "other" aka 8712.00.35 suffix 00 or an "other cycles" aka 8712.00.50 suffix 00 and will asses you the 11% tariff. There is always a "catch all" % to cover everything not explicitly covered in the other sub classes. It is almost always a higher tariff than the specific classification.

So.............

They'll try to say it doesn't meet the "description" of the .25 code and use the others as a catch all. You need to argue that it meets every requirement of the .25 code and they are over charging you.

There is a further catch. The shipping company (FedEX, UPS, DHL, Stork) will have to pay you fee "up front" and the asses you the fee + some. This not legal by the way. You can contest the classification with the shipping company and they'll ask you to pay the fee(s) up front and the if you "win" your reclassification they'll give you the money back. Right.....................

Tell them you want to deal with the ITC agent your self.

This could be all moot................ you can mail stuff via the postal service and they never touch it, but send it one of the others and they'll nail you or at least try. Plus, they will garnish your wages if you don't pay, allegedly. I've never seen it happen but they threaten it. Normally, they are after millions of dollars in Tariff from a single importer, not tens of dollars. That being said, they are "trained" to target "high value" single shipments of single importers (that would be you). The term "high value" seems arbitrary and I've not seen an actual number. I have seen it applied as a per unit/ ad valorem. Evidently the value of the item(s) in question goes into the equation.

Moreover, the shipping country has a lot to do with it. A package from Cuba will be checked, no question, but one from Canada will most likely not be. Another factor is how accurately the shipper/exporter filled out the paper work and customs forms. Sloppy is a sure fire way to get snagged. As mentioned above, if they do something shady like declair it a gift and stick in the catch all group, you very, likely to get caught. It's almost better off to have them mark it as "gift" and get the classification correct.

PBK in the UK has been at this for a long time and I'm sure they know how to fill out the paperwork correctly and the UK is not a country that grows copious amounts of pot for export or harbors terrorists.

I will also tell you that while I was at the BEA, the Postal Service or Homeland Security or some BS government agency had a program that allows them to find patterns of mail (to catch the tal-e-ban). So, presumably, there is something that made the shipments stick out. It could have been frequency of packages to the same reciever from the same shipper, or a street address number popping up so many times in a set time frame combined with the frequency, it could be random (some of it is). I will tell you that once you have been "randomly" selected and found to have owed once your address is highly likely to come up again in a "random" selection for duty review. If you're going to circumvent laws and your local market be ready to pay for it. Further, breaking it up into smaller shipments may actually increase your odds of getting hit becuase of the program.

Starnut

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Depending on what you ordered, duties might be due..The problem(or good thing) is that the USPS had virtually no controls in place to collect them....Most shipments never get caught.....<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>

I work for the large purple and orange air freight company and trust me, we access duties on everything where duties are due...The big brown company does too....

when I order from overseas I always ask the company to ship via post so it ends up in the USPS because I almost never get charged duty

consider yourself lucky that most of your shipments haven't gotten charged
This is good information to know thanks. It will take a little longer to get to you but you will not need to pay duties

1 - 20 of 50 Posts