Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not by a car but by a student!
At my new internship, one of my classes is a review level class. With review level I see them double the time of a regular class in order to keep up with the other students. Well the kids are nuts! I am insulted and my authority, brains, etc. questioned every day. That is fine, I think it's funny when the cheeleader thinks she can intimidate me with a stare. Wed however one of the little buggers actually elbowed me, on purpose, in the chest! She did it because I asked her not to yell at and push around another student.Little [email protected]!#H. They don't grasp the concept of actual power vs perceived power, mine is actual!

So have any of you been into a high school lately? Kids in my youth might be bad but they weren't as outspoken. I mean it's the rule not the exception, even in the so-called "honors" classes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
zeytin said:
At my new internship, one of my classes is a review level class. With review level I see them double the time of a regular class in order to keep up with the other students. Well the kids are nuts! I am insulted and my authority, brains, etc. questioned every day. That is fine, I think it's funny when the cheeleader thinks she can intimidate me with a stare. Wed however one of the little buggers actually elbowed me, on purpose, in the chest! She did it because I asked her not to yell at and push around another student.Little [email protected]!#H. They don't grasp the concept of actual power vs perceived power, mine is actual!

So have any of you been into a high school lately? Kids in my youth might be bad but they weren't as outspoken. I mean it's the rule not the exception, even in the so-called "honors" classes.
yikes zeytin, as someone getting ready to start my teaching education, you're freakin' me out!!!! how old are the kids in question? little dirtbags!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Oh, you mean you actually got hit. I thought you meant something else. I also got hit this morning, the other kind, if you know what I mean.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Oh, you mean you actually got hit. I thought you meant something else. I also got hit this morning, the other kind, if you know what I mean.
Nice, a little morning action. Nothing's better.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Mohair, got that too! That was before I left for work (unpaid work), nothing like going in with a smile on my face.

cmatcan, I am teaching 9th graders! Be prepared, I cannot believe the disrespect, some of it is normal I mean one of my teachers used to throw stuff at me but I wouldn't call her an idiot, ignorant, and dumb, and gay for doing so. These kids are unreal! And I'm not the only intern in my program dealing with this.

·
Registered
727 Posts
zeytin said:
Well Mohair, got that too! That was before I left for work (unpaid work), nothing like going in with a smile on my face.

cmatcan, I am teaching 9th graders! Be prepared, I cannot believe the disrespect, some of it is normal I mean one of my teachers used to throw stuff at me but I wouldn't call her an idiot, ignorant, and dumb, and gay for doing so. These kids are unreal! And I'm not the only intern in my program dealing with this.
that is brutal indeed. of course canadian kids are much more polite.....and i'm 6'3 so those little mofos can bring it on. thats a good attitude for a teacher, isn't it? lol.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Behold the future of America. Bunch of little selfish, clueless, and pretty much useless little punks. I really feel for you and have to say you're far tougher than me to put up with that kind of stuff. I'd lose my temper and find myself in jail at some point I think.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bonkmiester said:
.... slash her tires .......

go out in the parking lot and slash the tires on mommy's M-class .......:D:D:D
At first I thought you meant the 14 year old student, yea well we talked to Mommy and Mommy heard from her little girl that I am mean and that I pick on her baby!

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cmatcan said:
that is brutal indeed. of course canadian kids are much more polite.....and i'm 6'3 so those little mofos can bring it on. thats a good attitude for a teacher, isn't it? lol.
Well 5'2" and female doesn't help but I can tell you that, eh! The girls are rougher than the boys. If you are good looking watch your back, these girls are waaay too sexually mature and manipulative. One of my colleagues told me that at her school the girls were walking around with Victoria Secret bags on Valentine's Day showing off the lingerie their boyfriends had bought for them.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ridgetop said:
Behold the future of America. Bunch of little selfish, clueless, and pretty much useless little punks. I really feel for you and have to say you're far tougher than me to put up with that kind of stuff. I'd lose my temper and find myself in jail at some point I think.
So far the key for me has been laughing, they really are stupid little bastids so I laugh at them when they think they are being tough.

·
Registered
727 Posts
it never ceases to amaze me how parents can be so quick to jump to their child's defence, whether or not they are in the wrong. my parents were really never like that, and i think its a big part of the reason i was never a brat. kids take their cues from their parents, and they only push the limits as far as they can get away with. i really think most parents will fall into 2 categories concerning their mentality regarding school: 1-they'll take their kid's side no matter what. problem? must be the teacher. 2- they realize their kid is problematic, but don't care-between 9 and 3 their kid is the teacher's problem. That's really unfortunate, defiitely.
as for manipulative girls-i've been there, done that (i said done that, not done THEM)although i have....well that's another story.
anyways, i've been a tennis coach for years and have had a few instances of way-too-young girls coming on to me, asking me out, etc. (i'm 19, girls are like 4 years younger) i definitely don't let any of that cloud my judgement, and if anything it makes me way more sketpical about that person. i think that's the approach you have to take. it is weird, though. last summer a 15-year-old girl told me she liked me after practice and expected me to act on it. i was pretty shocked at that, and tried to let her down easy but clearly.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
zeytin said:
That sucks. I have nothing but respect for anyone who can do what you're doing because I know for certain that I would have choked the living sh*t out of that little snot.

But, it's Friday and you got some action this morning. Have a couple glasses of wine and enjoy the long weekend. (you do get Monday off, right?) :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Old age and Treachery

cmatcan said:
My wife became a high school teacher at 45yrs old. She teaches mostly problem kids ,hospitality(cooking) . As she points out size has nothing to do with anything because you can't lay a glove on the little dears. Attitude is king and 15 years as a chef to dazzle them with. No hats or Mp3's in class or they go into a locked drawer, she has quite the collection now.
Sleepy suburban Pickering High School in Ontario had 11 stabbings last year . Good luck on your career
RCA

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Ah, the fine county in which you teach

zeytin said:
Well 5'2" and female doesn't help but I can tell you that, eh! The girls are rougher than the boys. If you are good looking watch your back, these girls are waaay too sexually mature and manipulative. One of my colleagues told me that at her school the girls were walking around with Victoria Secret bags on Valentine's Day showing off the lingerie their boyfriends had bought for them.
I won't defame the fine county in which you are teaching. But, I do a lot of riding there. About two or three years ago, the county had a billboard campaign, the tag line of which was "If she's not 18, it's not legal." I thought the campaign was a little heavy handed. From what you say, it sounds like the campaign was spot on. Mrs. S better not read this -- she already is making "Brokeback Mountain" comments about my cycling trips with the boys, now if she finds out about the teenage slatterns of ______ County, she may limit my riding to 15 mile round trips (it's about 8 or 9 miles from my house to the border of _____ County).

·
Registered
727 Posts
RCA said:
My wife became a high school teacher at 45yrs old. She teaches mostly problem kids ,hospitality(cooking) . As she points out size has nothing to do with anything because you can't lay a glove on the little dears. Attitude is king and 15 years as a chef to dazzle them with. No hats or Mp3's in class or they go into a locked drawer, she has quite the collection now.
Sleepy suburban Pickering High School in Ontario had 11 stabbings last year . Good luck on your career
RCA
yikes. well, i will just try not to be #12 i guess.....
the comment about my height was a bit tongue in cheek, although stature does probably play a role in commanding respect, at least initially. i definitely don't underestimate the importance of knowledge and experience when it comes to teaching. i had an engligh teacher in grade 9 that everybody REALLY liked, and he definitely didn't go out of his way to be our friend. if you were late, you knocked twice on the door and went to sit in the hall. he would teach the class on schedule and when HE had time, he would come talk to you. very strict, and everyone had a ton of respect for the guy.
my plans for preparing to teach include an english major, with tons of english-specific courses. I had the top diploma marks, both in multiple-choice and the essay, as well as the highest school-based english mark, of my grad class of over 500. i really want to focus on enhancing my english skills and being as competent at that as i can be. most likely teaching grades 11/12 then possibly becoming a university prof. that's the route i want to go, not being a social worker incognito, serving a sentence in the wonky ontario public school system. not really where i want to go with this teaching thing.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Geez Zeytin, that is rough. Just keep at it. A little psychological warfare is a good thing here. Use it well. The force is with you. You'd better keep at it or else you're in for another 35 years of hell :mad: . Of course, now is a little late to consider a career change...
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Yeah, Canadian kids are angels, just like Swedish kids :rolleyes:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've been teaching special ed for over 30 years. Although I don't consider myself "Father Time", I've heard, seen & encountered so many stories like this one, I wouldn't know where to begin. I've had my tires slashed, a shot- put thrown through my rear window, and my car has been keyed from headlight to tail light. This done by little cherubs to which I had issued a detention, or reprimanded in some way. I currently teach middle school in a nearly all white surburban school, although this has not always true.

It's a very day rare indeed, when I'm not openly insulted or disrespected several times. I've been assualted, and even been held at gunpoint by a student. The scary thing is, that schools are merely a reflection of their community. Why do the kids act like this? Easy. Because they can. They have no real consequences, and they know that. Many parents don't give a crap. They look down their noses at educators. Last week we worked 2 nights from 5:00PM to 8:30PM at parent-teacher conferences. Out of 26 students that I see daily, 2, that's right, 2 parents came in to see me. I made phone calls, wrote letters, sent invitations begging them to come in, to care about their kids, to love them enough to help them.

Over the past 20 or so years, many changes have taken place in society. We, as teachers, have encountered the 1st generation raised almost entirely by TV. And what's on TV? Crap. It started with the Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles. They showed that it was "cool" to be wisecracking, insulting, disrespectful kids. That trend continues with a myriad of programs of that type. WWF Smack Down is one of the "coolest" shows there is. It's humiliating, insulting and degrading. Just they way kids think it ought to be. American Idol. A big part of its draw is the crude,cruel, insulting judge, (I forgot what his name is). Kids watch sh*t like this and they say, "Yeah! That's right! Get in their face." Frankly, I'm surprised it's not worse than it is.

I'll be teaching 3 more years. I've loved my job, and I've loved the kids I've taught. If I had it to do over, I think I would, but I'd never go into special ed. again. It's just too hard, too frustrating...

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MarkS said:
I won't defame the fine county in which you are teaching. But, I do a lot of riding there. About two or three years ago, the county had a billboard campaign, the tag line of which was "If she's not 18, it's not legal." I thought the campaign was a little heavy handed. From what you say, it sounds like the campaign was spot on. Mrs. S better not read this -- she already is making "Brokeback Mountain" comments about my cycling trips with the boys, now if she finds out about the teenage slatterns of ______ County, she may limit my riding to 15 mile round trips (it's about 8 or 9 miles from my house to the border of _____ County).

Oh I switched! My mentor in the county of which you speak was terrible and so now I am in a county which is south and a little east of where I live it's ___ _______ County. It's even tougher.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mr. Versatile, I seriously have the utmost respect for you, I could never teach special ed specifically I don't have the strength of spirit. Special ed is the toughest.
With inclusion classes I have a number of special ed kids in the mix. The class in which I got hit is high in special ed students. A number of the non special ed students are requesting transfers to another class but if they leave then the class won't be inclusion so we have to force them to stay. It breaks my heart.
As for physical strenght a couple of teachers at my school, while working lunch or hall duty, have had to body slam students to break up fights etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts