Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today.

A little background first : friday, with my coworkers, I went to a restaurant to have ribs. Beef ribs, the big ones. Usually they are big, this time they were HUGE !!! Really, I came back to work, I was so full I couldn't do anything.

So, I felt a bit guilty, I went to the gym afterwards, but I was still so full that every move was pretty painful.
Yesterday I went to a wedding. 4 beers + a meal later, I felt guilty again but I was so tired that I went to bed as soon as I got home...

Today, my girlfriend told me to get out of our place so she could prepare my bday surprise. So, I took my bike and went to the Formula 1 track, which is open to bikes if there isn't a race.

I started quite fast compared to my usual pace, doing an average of 22 mph. I passed a couple roadies, then some others, and after 15 minutes or so they pass me back (all of them) ... but not as if they were "just" catching up. Nope. They finished to warm up and now they were riding at their normal pace.

Logically, as stupid and proud as I am, I thought I could stick to them and maybe go a bit faster. I was soooooooo wrong.
For 25 minutes I followed them, doing an average of 26 mph. I was almost burnt so I just gave it all, and for a bit more than a mile I went in front of the pack and kept a steady 29 mph.

Then, I just slowed down, they passed me immediately and kept going while I finished my lap, and then went home.
It was the fastest (average) I ever went for so long, I'm proud of that, but I can't believe how easy it seemed for the people I rode with. I was impressed.

I think I'll drink a beer in the bath, at least that's something I'm very good at :p

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
ok I can't resist... did you say hi to these guys? or did you just sit on them for a while then sprint past?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My usual average is around 21 mph, but where I live roads are in a terrible shape. It was the first time I went to the f1 track, and it's awesome. Not one pothole to worry about, I just loved the quality of the road.

The whole ride (riding from home to the track, riding there and going back home) was 110 minutes, average 20 mph. But that's because the roads are just too bad. On the track I never went under 23, with a max at 29

I didn't talk to the guys (and girls) but I didn't spend all my time behind someone as I took my turn in front, so I suppose it's ok. It kind of make me want to join a group ride, as I almost always ride alone.

firstrax said:
How much can you bench?
At the gym ?
I don't do crazy stuff there :p . Just lunges, abs, pectorals, push-ups, and so on. Then I just go running twice a week and I ride everyday, but not as intensely as today.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I didn't out-race any of the people I saw on the road today that didn't know we were racing. I sux. But I did wave.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LWP said:
I didn't out-race any of the people I saw on the road today that didn't know we were racing. I sux. But I did wave.
Don't take me wrong, I don't wave because I'm a jerk. I wave from times to times, but in Montreal people rarely notice. I often go and talk to people biking because I just love to share on that subject, but in here people are .. not always friendly, really in their bubble.

I really wish it was otherwise, I try to do my part but I don't think of it all the time (and honestly, even less when I'm exhausted).

·
Registered
663 Posts
LWP said:
I crushed this old dude with panniers and sandals on the MUT.

But srsly, there is never anyone else riding at 7am. I have to motivate myself. :(

·
Custom User Title
359 Posts
fsdork said:
I crushed this old dude with panniers and sandals on the MUT.
That was you???

bastard! :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
BentChainring said:
pics of the "birthday surprise"?

There you go:

( I have this weird thing, I just love rubber duckies. We are getting married this winter and she found these 2, they will be perfect on the wedding cakes :) )

A panini machine:

Books I wanted :

The complete Universal War One (in english, but originally it's french) and also one Terry Pratchett. I just love the Discworld.

Oh yeah, the big surprise was the meal:
- smoked salmon with white wine
- duck confit with tortellini, with a sauce of tomatoes, garlic, basil and rosé wine
- a plate of good cheeses
- my favorite dessert : a lemon pie

That was all very good. And now, it's time to go to bed to show my appreciation of all this :D

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Creakyknees said:
ok I can't resist... did you say hi to these guys? or did you just sit on them for a while then sprint past?
How expensive was the bike you were riding, and did any of these other guys have a $8,000 bike? You need to see the thread in general about the $8,000 bike to understand what I am saying, but I think Creaky knows.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
Agreed, the track thing sounds very cool. It would be great to have access to a closed course with good pavement like that.

As for the average speed thing, everything is relative. The 21mph average you think is paltry, is more than I could do...unless the "course" was a mile of gentle downhill slope... :)

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
They actually allow you to ride something like that? That is SO COOL!

Look, you might be fast, you might be slow you might be somewhere in between.

There's NOTHING like that around here that you can just ride on when nobody is using it.

Excellent!

·
Tactle-neck
865 Posts
Yeah, That's awesome!

Give me a P4 and some 808's and let me at'er.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts