Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish hotels had spinning bikes. This one doesn't even have a regular stationary bike. I have a job that sometimes requires me to be on the road 4 or 5 days at a time, so I stay at hotels which have work out rooms but I gave up searching for spinning bikes at hotels. Sometimes they offer complementary passes to fitness clubs but Its too much of a hassle, especially since I usually work late and am pooped out by end of the day. I've been stuck in San Fran since Thursday and I have not done anything to keep my bike fitness. It would motivate me to work out if they had a spinning bike. Oh screw it, I am flying home tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
MD80 said:
I wish hotels had spinning bikes. This one doesn't even have a regular stationary bike. I have a job that sometimes requires me to be on the road 4 or 5 days at a time, so I stay at hotels which have work out rooms but I gave up searching for spinning bikes at hotels. Sometimes they offer complementary passes to fitness clubs but Its too much of a hassle, especially since I usually work late and am pooped out by end of the day. I've been stuck in San Fran since Thursday and I have not done anything to keep my bike fitness. It would motivate me to work out if they had a spinning bike. Oh screw it, I am flying home tomorrow.
We must stay in the same type of hotels. Recumbents and treadmills are all I see. I spend 30 minutes on each....

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Just exercise

When I used to travel on business a lot, I rarely used the so-called fitness centers. I went for a walk. I enjoyed spending time walking around all kinds of cities and small towns rather than sweating away in an 80 degree 10x12 room, and never felt my fitness suffered a bit. If you walk at 5 mph, you're getting about 80% of the workout you do riding at 20 mph. Think of it as a few days of recovery. SF is a great place to walk!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm in the same boat but for several weeks instead of days. I usually just run. I was in San Diego for 3 weeks and had a great time running up and down the beach and I was able to find some nice trails in the mountains.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
FinaEstampa said:
The elliptical is the way to go. Make sure you put a lot of resistance on it.

Absolutely. Ellipticals are nice pieces of equipment (or can be), working glutes, hamstrings, calves in addition to a little upper body toning and doing a nice job getting the heart rate up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i second..

with the unpredictable weather even in west coast bay area, i end up doing indoor training when the rain or cold weather comes in, and i use an elliptical, and i've noticed (so far, i've only been using mine for a week) it's been helpful, hitting muscle groups that are also used for that two-wheeled type contraption..

·
waterproof*
41,602 Posts
Dude, you're in San Francisco... strap on the running shoes and run hill repeats on the steepest pitch you can find.

No, it's not "specific" but neither are the other options, really. But it's a really killer workout, for sure. You run some 30 seconds up hill at 80%, walk down, repeat... you'll find vo2max real quick.

If you're stuck in flatland, like me in Chicago tonight, I run repeats on the stairwells of the hotel.

Creak.

p.s. even with my bad knee I can do this. I can't run 1k on flat concrete, but hill's and stairs I can do.

p.p.s. it's also good for bone strength - cyclists need impact work.

·
waterproof*
41,602 Posts
Oh one more thing, remember you can do floor work / calisthenics / yoga / stretching in the hotel room. Graeme Street's stuff is really good for that, I bring his DVD's and play them on the laptop in my room.

·
waterproof*
41,602 Posts
Ok, yet another thing. Some of the high-end hotel chains have been on a remodeling binge. And many of those do now have spin bikes. I know the Marriott in Cleveland downtown has real spin bikes (Lifetime brand I think), and the Hilton at O'Hare has a couple LeMonds plus an overall really nice fitness center that you can walk to from the terminal and they charge $11 for anybody who's not staying at the hotel.

Ask around, call the hotel front desk, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott class places.

And yes, I mean real spin bikes, with real toe clips and straps and real saddles. Not those funky rubber straps and tractor seats.

Creak.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Boy it makes me appreciate that I don't have to travel out of town very much for my job. Cross training is great, run, swim, walking are all great. The eliptical is a good machine if you do want to go that route.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Ok, yet another thing. Some of the high-end hotel chains have been on a remodeling binge. And many of those do now have spin bikes. I know the Marriott in Cleveland downtown has real spin bikes (Lifetime brand I think), and the Hilton at O'Hare has a couple LeMonds plus an overall really nice fitness center that you can walk to from the terminal and they charge $11 for anybody who's not staying at the hotel.

Ask around, call the hotel front desk, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott class places.

And yes, I mean real spin bikes, with real toe clips and straps and real saddles. Not those funky rubber straps and tractor seats.

Creak.

Lifetime brand?

I was on one of those, put it in the top level or resistance, and spun it to a cadence of 240... (No, I can't do it on a real bike)
Just sayin... their resistance is not that impressive, at least the model I was on.

Then again I guess it's better than nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts