Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought me some Genius 5's about 3 months ago. Had bad hot spost, got fit kitted, tried Big Meat wedges, different cleat positions, etc. The only thing that I got was knee pain. I put my old crappy Specialized shoes on last night and it was foot bliss.

Anybody want a good deal on some three month ould Side Genius 5's?

· Registered
86 Posts
wow you're the first one ive ever heard that has said they feel hot spots on a Sidi genius. I've been using Sidi's (non carbon) for 10 yrs now and have used them with DUraAce pedals and now using SpeedPlay zeros and notta prob at all.
And your knee pain isnt due to the shoes but rather the pedals your using and the amt of float or lack of.

· Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that the knee pain is from cleat placement, etc. but the cleats were being adjusted in an attempt to make the foot pain go away. It I squeeze my knees close to the top tube and kick my heels out the foot pain goes away (somewhat) but then my knees hurt.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Sidi's don't work on my wife's feet. Gets cramps behind her big toe of all things. Who knows why, but she's not very happy with 'em.

· Registered
86 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I realize that the knee pain is from cleat placement, etc. but the cleats were being adjusted in an attempt to make the foot pain go away. It I squeeze my knees close to the top tube and kick my heels out the foot pain goes away (somewhat) but then my knees hurt.

What you should so is return you Sidi's to the store you bought them at and get the "mega" Sidi's.
The Genius 5 Mega Lorica is designed for a wider foot. Its a huge difference.
I too bought the first Genius 5's and after a few rides i found the inside of my foot aching. The shoe expert at my LBS said the normal Genius 5's were kinda squishing my foot when i would power down into the pedals. And what a diff they made. So much more room.
He also said something to me that i still remember to this day.
A good fitting cycling shoe should allow you to do squats without pressure on the sides of your foot.
You should try the 'mega' Genius 5's and see how they work

· Registered
86 Posts
well thats excellent. You will notice a difference with the wider Sidi. Even if you have narrow or reg size feet when doing anything that requires you foot to pound down where they will spread out its best to get a wider platform shoe. Thats what i was told anyways.
Hope they work out for you. keep us posted

· Registered
215 Posts
I had the same problem with Sidi's - they just did not work for me. I had quite a bit of pain on the outside of my foot when using them. I tried tons of cleat positions, different sizes, and adjusting the angle with LeWedges but nothing worked.

Coincidently, Specialized shoes work really well for me.

· Registered
298 Posts
I can't wear sidi either. The pointy toe box doesn't work for me. They don't make a mega in my size. It's a shame too because I really wanted those white dragons (mtb). I settled on the specialized s-works and I'm happy. I'm eying the s-works road in white.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.