Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
That is one sweet ride.

I started racing on the mid seventies - at that time Cinelli was considererd the top of the line - all chrome - most expensive ride going. $500.00 with Nuevo record.

How much did that go for new?

How was Cinelli regarded in the early sixties?

·
Registered
87 Posts
cycling was a very small sport in the U.S. back when that bike was made. It was before my time, but I'm thinking they were a big name back then. I know he was a Canadian, but I'm guessing the situation was similar. In the U.S., the cycling activity really dropped off the further you got from big cities, New York in particular.

That bike looks too nice given the history in the linked article. I can't believe he crashed because his legs cramped, that must have been an experience to forget.

·
Boobies!
8,181 Posts
A definite piece of racing history, although it looked scruffier in the old days--Bill worked for years at BC Tel & used to respray his bikes at work in "BC Tel Yellow." (And I think my brother sold Randy the Cinelli SC--but that's another story...)

Bill was an unbelievably aggressive rider, but also generous with the young riders like Randy & me--I remember line pace sessions with him riding an old moped/scooter that he fixed up with a roller on the back--& some serious coaching when I was still racing as a junior. Back when information and tips were harder to get, he was a great source of information for how to set up a bike properly--eg he was fanatical about wheel bearings and cranks--a little lithium grease and mixed with oil & repack before every race. We went to Nevada City to race because of his stories!

And his wife Marilyn deserves notice--she was a good amateur photographer and most of us have a picture or two of us racing because of her. She was also a nurse & scrubbed gravel out of road rash for most of us one time or another since she was always at the races--preferred treatment--Phisohex soap scrub and Gelinet bandages...

Cinellis were the real deal--a bike to aspire to through the '60s and early '70s--and only started to lose some luster as the Masis and Colnagos started to show up in the early '70s although the finish on the Cinellis were amazing--sold complete with their matching fenders as I saw them at Ace Cycles and lusted after them.

The best thing Bill did for me was bargain with some guy who showed up at a race in Seattle (Volunteer Park Crit??) and wanted to sell his Frejus track bike--Bill first bargained the guy down on my behalf, & then took the loose components across the Canadian border in his spares bag so I would only have to pay duty on the frame--nothing like a little tax avoidance!!! (Wish I still had the Frejus--that too is another story...)

I remember Cap Cycles--did they survive?

Dean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.