Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding consistently for the past 11 years, and I have covered close to 30K road miles during that time. I have often read others posting their close encounters with cars, and I have always felt lucky that no drivers had purposely picked on me during a ride. Fast forward to last night, and I was on a wide-open two lane road with significant shoulders on each side. The road itself is not usually that busy, and last evening was no exception. Despite me riding well within the previously mentioned wide shoulder, I suddenly had a car pass me at a very high rate of speed, and they were closer than 12" to my handlebar. Inside the car were three teenagers, and they were all looking back at me and laughing, so I'm pretty sure that it was an intentional move on their part. I let them know my displeasure with a certain one-fingered gesture, which in hindsight I recognize was not too smart, but I was pissed! I noted that my heart rate jumped 20 bpm, so they definitely got my adrenaline going. For the rest of my ride, I was very attentive each car that approached me from behind, but thankfully there were no other problems.

I'm thankful that nothing really happened to me, but I just needed to share my experience (I didn't mention this incident to my wife, since I didn't want her to be *more* concerned with my riding safety). Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and I hope that everyone stays safe while riding out on the roads.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I've been riding consistently for the past 11 years, and I have covered close to 30K road miles during that time. I have often read others posting their close encounters with cars, and I have always felt lucky that no drivers had purposely picked on me during a ride. Fast forward to last night, and I was on a wide-open two lane road with significant shoulders on each side. The road itself is not usually that busy, and last evening was no exception. Despite me riding well within the previously mentioned wide shoulder, I suddenly had a car pass me at a very high rate of speed, and they were closer than 12" to my handlebar. Inside the car were three teenagers, and they were all looking back at me and laughing, so I'm pretty sure that it was an intentional move on their part. I let them know my displeasure with a certain one-fingered gesture, which in hindsight I recognize was not too smart, but I was pissed! I noted that my heart rate jumped 20 bpm, so they definitely got my adrenaline going. For the rest of my ride, I was very attentive each car that approached me from behind, but thankfully there were no other problems.

I'm thankful that nothing really happened to me, but I just needed to share my experience (I didn't mention this incident to my wife, since I didn't want her to be *more* concerned with my riding safety). Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and I hope that everyone stays safe while riding out on the roads.
I get 2-3 door handle close passes every ride. Some at high speeds. I ride with a lot of cars. That's life.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay.

As strange as it may seem, at least with the jerks acting intentionally, you can at least hope they are exercising some kind of control. It's the ones who are impaired/distracted and have no idea what they're doing that scare me more.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
342 Posts
Get a GoPro and video your rides.
You could take a copy of the video down to the police.
Then again I doubt they will do anything.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
You've been riding for 11 years and 30K miles without any near misses? Really?? Where in MA do you live? I want to move there! :)

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I usually do the friendly wave after something like that although difficult because it pisses me off too. Confuses 'em.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You've been riding for 11 years and 30K miles without any near misses? Really?? Where in MA do you live? I want to move there! :)
Me too!

I live in MA and have not found this mythical place where he rides.

EEC

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Me too!

I live in MA and have not found this mythical place where he rides.

EEC
If you follow the yellow brick road through the emerald forest to a castle, knock on the door and if you come across a spotted horse that changes colors you to might be in the land of make believe where your dreams will seem like reality

·
Registered
239 Posts
My main route is in a rural town with very little traffic between 6:30 and 7:30 AM (when school is out for the summer) and I still get "buzzed" at least once or twice a week. This time of year I ride 4 to 5 times a week.... sometimes more, sometimes less depending on weather.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you follow the yellow brick road through the emerald forest to a castle, knock on the door and if you come across a spotted horse that changes colors you to might be in the land of make believe where your dreams will seem like reality
But that would be a horse of a different color, and does not explain where this mythical location in MA is.

:)

EEC

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
You've been riding for 11 years and 30K miles without any near misses? Really?? Where in MA do you live? I want to move there!

My first thought as well :arf:

We were in MA this weekend, spent the night in Springfield. We were hoping to hike around Mt. Holyoke, but no thanks to traffic, got there too late.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't see where the OP said anything about being in Mass but I've had very few close calls there.......although living in Boston my definition of close call might not be typical because I've learned to accept a lot. Despite the high concentration of d-bags around here I don't think it's too bad cycling wise.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
I don't see where the OP said anything about being in Mass but I've had very few close calls there.......although living in Boston my definition of close call might not be typical because I've learned to accept a lot. Despite the high concentration of d-bags around here I don't think it's too bad cycling wise.
The OP's profile shows he's from MA.

He never did come back to reply to any of us. I am guessing he may be somewhere in the western part of the state possibly in the Taconics near the NY border. That is quite a nice area to ride. I doubt he lives in the Boston area. Those drivers are nuts!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Good luck with that . Cops are too busy these days in the coffee shop stuff their face with donuts .
I will differ with you there, this morning I had a pickup truck decided to pass me close enough that I could have grabbed his coffee from the cup holder. And then turn into a parking lot 100' up from the traffic light, needless to say, i pulled in after him to ask him if he realized how close he got to me and the fact that he needless endangered my life for a couple of seconds time.

Of course, his response was "i LET you do what ever you wanted and then went around you ...", that's when I slightly irritably pointed out that he didn't LET me do anything that I had taken the lane at the light for my safety as the law allows and that his move was reckless and dangerous. He said something belligerent and I said that maybe we should let the police decide who was wrong and proceeded to call the local PD. They arrived, took my statement, I offered to show them the video from my gopro. They took his statement, reviewed my video decided that he was WAY too close and issued him a citation.

It's a shame that somehow I managed to not turn on the rear camera as it would have shown additional footage of how close he was, but they were satisfied with what I shared.

Had he driven further on where i couldn't catch him or even been remotely apologetic i wouldn't have made an issue of it. But, at the end of the day, if you are close enough that i can reach into your car and I can catch up to you, i'll make sure that the police are informed and come chat with you.

Now this was in Bedford, MA, where is this mythical place with no close calls?

EEC

Reactions: BCSaltchucker

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I will differ with you there, this morning I had a pickup truck decided to pass me close enough that I could have grabbed his coffee from the cup holder. And then turn into a parking lot 100' up from the traffic light, needless to say, i pulled in after him to ask him if he realized how close he got to me and the fact that he needless endangered my life for a couple of seconds time.

Of course, his response was "i LET you do what ever you wanted and then went around you ...", that's when I slightly irritably pointed out that he didn't LET me do anything that I had taken the lane at the light for my safety as the law allows and that his move was reckless and dangerous. He said something belligerent and I said that maybe we should let the police decide who was wrong and proceeded to call the local PD. They arrived, took my statement, I offered to show them the video from my gopro. They took his statement, reviewed my video decided that he was WAY too close and issued him a citation.

It's a shame that somehow I managed to not turn on the rear camera as it would have shown additional footage of how close he was, but they were satisfied with what I shared.

Had he driven further on where i couldn't catch him or even been remotely apologetic i wouldn't have made an issue of it. But, at the end of the day, if you are close enough that i can reach into your car and I can catch up to you, i'll make sure that the police are informed and come chat with you.

Now this was in Bedford, MA, where is this mythical place with no close calls?

EEC
I raise a drink to you good sir! Well handled, and kudos to the cop too

would that more in the cycling community were like you

I called the cops on a maniacal truck last year, who did a very dangerous near-miss-pass on my wife and I. The cops ignored me. aholes. But I have video and will publish it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts