Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I complained a while back about the typical horn blowing, hollering, close brushes...etc. Living in Cincinnati there is no shortage of daily situations that I have come to ignore. But, yesterday I was surprised to have 4, yes 4, happy beeps and extra room given for lane closures. I felt very happy about the team concept that I felt between me and the cars yesterday riding home.

I know it may all change today but if yesterday is a coming of change I look forward to it. Is this what it is like in bike friendly cities??

P.S. a guy driving a dually pick-up truck had to cut me off this morning and slam on his brakes but I still feel good.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
cpcritter said:
I complained a while back about the typical horn blowing, hollering, close brushes...etc. Living in Cincinnati there is no shortage of daily situations that I have come to ignore. But, yesterday I was surprised to have 4, yes 4, happy beeps and extra room given for lane closures. I felt very happy about the team concept that I felt between me and the cars yesterday riding home.

I know it may all change today but if yesterday is a coming of change I look forward to it. Is this what it is like in bike friendly cities??

P.S. a guy driving a dually pick-up truck had to cut me off this morning and slam on his brakes but I still feel good.

Yesterday on my training ride along a winding smaller highway, but one that some use to commute to town...I had good motorist vibes, too. People were actually not "going for it" passing with limited sight distance. They would come up behind and slow and wait till they could actually see there were no cars coming the other way. On this particular road, that is good because the shoulder is minimal.

Usually, I can see ahead and around a corner before the following driver, or I know the road and the shoulder well enough to wave the following motorist around safely. Many time when I did that, they would come right on by, with a wide margin, and give me a little wave of thanks in the mirrors...

Like it should be, eh?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I’m fortunate to be able to live in a bike friendly area and yes, it’s nice. Locals are pretty good, but have to watch out for the tourists, though. It’s easy to get wrapped up in riding, but I try to remember to acknowledge the courtesies with a friendly wave.

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
I think a friendly wave is a good practice when a driver shows some courtesy.

Just be sure to smile and make it a clear wave - you don't want a quick hand gesture to be misconstrued.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
drivers / passengers

I was up riding around a lake on a narrow twisty road. There was about a 1/4 mile descent, ending in a sharp right 15 mph curve. As I was near the bottom, about to make the curve, an old beat up Toyota Corolla tries to pass me going into the turn. I knew I was capable of making this turn faster than the car, but apparently he didn't. The car passes, squeals the tires, slides across the center line, all while slamming on the brakes while I'm right next to his right rear fender. He almost hits an oncoming car head on. I yelled "dumbass," instinctively. I'm right next to the car, with all windows down, and the driver shouts "did you hear what he called me?" I thought, "uh oh," until the front seat passenger shouted back to the driver, "You *are* a dumbass!" The driver sped along, then. Made my day.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Fixed said:
I was up riding around a lake on a narrow twisty road. There was about a 1/4 mile descent, ending in a sharp right 15 mph curve. As I was near the bottom, about to make the curve, an old beat up Toyota Corolla tries to pass me going into the turn. I knew I was capable of making this turn faster than the car, but apparently he didn't. The car passes, squeals the tires, slides across the center line, all while slamming on the brakes while I'm right next to his right rear fender. He almost hits an oncoming car head on. I yelled "dumbass," instinctively. I'm right next to the car, with all windows down, and the driver shouts "did you hear what he called me?" I thought, "uh oh," until the front seat passenger shouted back to the driver, "You *are* a dumbass!" The driver sped along, then. Made my day.
:lol: That's great! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts