Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Orange County and I'd never heard of it. I thought it was just a thing that small communities did randomly even when I heard about it here.

Pictures of tents set up giving out water and snacks? wtf? Never seen/heard anything out here.

So I went to Google. SOmething has to be out there... right?

These are the relevant sites I get:

This one is from today and is on the Orange County Register website. It is about a 66 year old man from San Mateo (not in OC) who rode his bike to work every day and who was killed riding in after hitting a wooden barrier and flipping over. My heart goes out to him, and this is in no way trying to say anything bad about him. But it just strikes me as odd that when I google "Bike to work day, orange county" this is the only 1st page Google hit I get that's from OC's newspaper and it's about a person who had a tragic ending doing something he obviously loved doing who lived hours north of here.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...AOL-?SITE=CAANR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Another is from a San Diego paper which deals more with "gas boycott day"

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05/14/news/top_stories/51307184437.txt

OCTA (OC Transit Authority) seems to have some kind of program to get employers to encourage people to ride to work, but I've never heard of it (and I spend my weekends in a bike shop).

http://www.octa.net/

What got me to thinking about this was BigBill's thread about having too many riders on the road who are not used to commuting. I've been commuting for 2 months straight (and before that at least 3 or 4 days a week) and I rarely ever see a single other person on the road or on the trail who is commuting. Lots of riverbed time trialists, I even hit a pack of old guys on bents who I talked to for a while as we cruised along. But they weren't commuting.

I don't know how many people out here even know this day exists, and that's a shame. I ride every day and I didn't know it was happening till I started venturing back in to the commuting forum.

Anyways... I'm not sure the point of this. I guess I'm just a little jealous and I'm ranting :)

joe

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnnyTooBad said:
Put your helmet on! Set an example for the amateurs.

:blush2:

That was in my apartment complex after just getting home as I was strolling down the walkway.

joe

·
Registered
197 Posts
Joe Daddio,

I just moved to Orange County (huntington beach) from Boulder Colorado. I ride my bike to work in Brea everyday. I knew it was bike to work week/day, but no one else seemed to. It is sad. I was expecting to happen upon a tent/table FULL of free food, drinks schwag, but alas in the 22 miles to and from work, NOTHING. it was ridiculous. when i lived in boulder i lived 6 blocks from work and could hit 3 free food stations on bike to work day. Its pathetic really, OCTA let me down. They even had "sponsors" shown on their website for bike to work day.....What did the sponsors do??? if there were no tables or booths. Im going to write them a letter and see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.