Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i had been inside all day working on a project, and at the spur of the moment around midnight rode out to a club to see a band, who i had missed. dejectedly had a beer and headed home as it was already getting late. i realized as i neared my house that i really wasn't ready to head in. i spent the next three or four hours just blissfully riding around in the dead of night. it was amazing, bombing down streets, not worrying about staying planted on the shoulder (i was passed by three cars the entire evening), going down long descents in only the moonlight, or in some cases in total darkness. ended up going to a diner at about 4 and getting a bagel before finally going home. it was the most child-like joy i've had on my bike in so long, and it was in a t-shirt and jeans with the legs rolled up, on a beautiful, warm, spring night... with no pre-planning about eating so I don't 'bonk', no energy gels, no kit to wear, just the sound of crickets and my bike humming along under me. if you can't sleep sometime soon, and live in an area that isn't super-densely populated, i highly suggest just putting anything on and go zipping through some neighborhoods. plus i slept like a baby (a rare thing for me). :thumbsup:

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Fun is what it's all about.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
One of my most memorial rides is when I was 20 years old. I was in the Marine Corps and came home on leave. I bought a Bianchi road bike (this was in 1962). It was raining and I got on the bike and tore around the streets by my house. I had a blast, yelling and screaming splashing through puddles. I got soaking wet. Alas, I got transferred to Okinawa shortly after and the bike hung in the garage for a number of years. I rode it a bit after I got out of the USMC and was married in 1966. Bike riding was put on hold for a number of years after that. That ride is one I still remember. That was the beginning.

·
Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
When I was in college, I lived in a frat house for a summer (quasi - brother). One of the full bros and I would smoke a joint or two, and go booming around campus after midnight. I will never forget those rides.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
riding real late at night is great (but not on the weekend), the air is so still, theres very few cars, you feel like you are going faster, in the right conditions all you can hear is the chain and tyres buzzing along

everything is seen from a new perspective on these rides, they can be very peaceful

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
tindrum said:
so i had been inside all day working on a project, and at the spur of the moment around midnight rode out to a club to see a band, who i had missed. dejectedly had a beer and headed home as it was already getting late. i realized as i neared my house that i really wasn't ready to head in. i spent the next three or four hours just blissfully riding around in the dead of night. it was amazing, bombing down streets, not worrying about staying planted on the shoulder (i was passed by three cars the entire evening), going down long descents in only the moonlight, or in some cases in total darkness. ended up going to a diner at about 4 and getting a bagel before finally going home. it was the most child-like joy i've had on my bike in so long, and it was in a t-shirt and jeans with the legs rolled up, on a beautiful, warm, spring night... with no pre-planning about eating so I don't 'bonk', no energy gels, no kit to wear, just the sound of crickets and my bike humming along under me. if you can't sleep sometime soon, and live in an area that isn't super-densely populated, i highly suggest just putting anything on and go zipping through some neighborhoods. plus i slept like a baby (a rare thing for me). :thumbsup:

I'm with ya. Love moments like those.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
Sounds like bliss.

I have those moments in the wintertime while it's snowing....I love wandering through the streets in the early morning hours on the old mountain bike with a couple of inches of white stuff on the ground. It's always so beautiful.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,070 Posts
One summer I worked the 11-7 overnight shift at a gas station in my hometown. On my 'nights' off, I would close the bars with my buddies at 2 am. They would crash, but I was used to staying up nights and sleeping days, so I'd hop on the bike around 3 and ride for a couple hours finishing at a local diner for breakfast with the early risers. At 3 am you really own the night.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
murbike said:
When I was in college, I lived in a frat house for a summer (quasi - brother). One of the full bros and I would smoke a joint or two, and go booming around campus after midnight. I will never forget those rides.
Why did you stop? I do that most Thursdays.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
After reading this I gave it a try. I through on some lights and set out around town at one. The streets were empty and I could us the whole road. It was great but I really couldn't see the road in front of me. I would see new bumps that were in the road as I would hit them. After a while I looked over my shoulder and saw that my rear light was missing. I has it clipped to my saddle bag but it wasn't there. I turned around and after some time I saw a bright blinking red light sitting in the middle of the road. I only saw one car in the forty five minutes of riding and it was a cop looking for people in one of are parks. I saw him turn around and thought he was going to pull up next to me and ask me if I was crazy but no luck. It was a lot of fun and may be added to my weekly schedule.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.