Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so your kid made it through high school. Woohoo. What an achievement. As much as I'd like to fling out a $20 bill with every card I send, I don't make that much money.
And now junior high schools are having graduations also? Good grief.
I'm waiting for the day I get a pre-school graduation invitation.

"Brianna did it, she made it through pre-school! To celebrate her momentous achievement we are having a huge party with every friend and extended family member we know. If you'd like to skip the 4 hour drive to join us, just put $25 in a card and we'll buy her something nice with the cash in your name, seeing as how she's too young to realize the value of money."

:D

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
Helen: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation.

Bob: It's not a graduation! He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade!

Helen: It's a ceremony!

Bob: It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity, but if someone is genuinely exceptional...

·
done
3,293 Posts
I've proudly established myself as the cheapskate uncle. I don't even buy xmas presents, much less send money for making it out of HS. It's never too late to join the dark side, nOOky.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
If grade and middle schools are looking for ways to save money...they should cut out this crap.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me, I bowed out of every one this weekend. There's biking to be done out there, and it won't get done sitting at some spoiled brat's party with a bunch of people I can barely stand :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Uh, both my kids had pre-school AND kindergarten "advancement ceremonies" and one is 18 and outta school and the other will be a junior next fall. But I totally agree, lets go celebrate something that every one is expected to, and mostly required, to do.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
My niece had a pre school graduation thing. I DID NOT send money.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
The neighbor's daughter is having a huge party.

I told them my attendance was contingent on the weather. "If it's raining, I'll probably be there at least long enough to sample the beverages..."

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
My daughter graduated from high school last night. She sent out 25 announcements total, to close family and friends only. Some of her friends sent out over 100.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
The frivolity of our society is sickening.

I can remember my college graduation, thinking to myself, "what's the bid deal? I still have four more years of school go before I even enter the workplace." My parents took me out to dinner and that was it. My brother recently graduated from college and we didn't even go that far; he had to leave for his job out west shortly after his graduation ceremony.

·
®
3,209 Posts
wooglin said:
My son was promoted from 5th grade yesterday. Yes I went. Yes I got misty. Sue me. :)

i was reading this thread, thinking about my son's kindergarten "graduation" last year. i went. i even got misty, too. don't feel bad.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I am flying to Seattle in a couple of weeks to see my daughter graduate the 8th grade. I will use any excuse to see my kids. And yes I will get misty when she walks across the stage.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
rward325 said:
I am flying to Seattle in a couple of weeks to see my daughter graduate the 8th grade. I will use any excuse to see my kids. And yes I will get misty when she walks across the stage.
Have fun at the graduation rward. I'm sure she will be glad to see you also.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
I am well into my "no one in this family will ever buy adults presents again" project. I've pretty much go me, my brother and sister fully on board. Mom and Dad absolutely refuse to not buy presents for us. Hell, I got an Easter present from my mother. :rolleyes: Birthday parties for my kids are conatin an "in lieu of presents, please bring a new toy/book/clothes for donation" type message.

I'd sooner have everyone together for a nice meal somewhere.

My kids are not old enough for graduation presents yet, but they'll get something cool from me when they get out of HS. I'm not sure how much I'll cave in for the neighborhood graduates. I felt pretty smarmy sending out notices when I got out of HS.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
innergel said:
...but they'll get something cool from me when they get out of HS.
Nothing says "I love you" better than a new car for high school graduation!

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I think there are 2 groups of graduations. If it's a Kindergarten or HS or College graduation for YOUR kid, then that's pretty special. If you are a close, I mean REALLY close family member, you are in that group too. Otherwise, the other group contains EVERYONE else in the world. Don't send me a card because the non family kid who delivers my Sunday paper graduated. I aint interested.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, when I graduated high school, I just sent out invitations to closish relatives and family friends. It's nice and I definitely enjoyed all of the money, but some people place too much emphasis on it. My parents gave me money, but nothing extravagant. I've heard of people receiving checks from their parents in the four figures range. That's excessive. I suppose it's all relative though. A lot of these kids drove cars nicer than my parents! And if your kid is going to college, all HS graduation means is more money you have to fork over in three months.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts