Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we're in the hater mode. What is with the ear-splitting pipes on motorcycles, aren't there noise pollution laws??

Yesterday we were loading up the bikes after an MTB ride and this dude on a Harley pulls through the lot, turned around and headed back out. Not only did he interrupt our conversation with his obnoxiously loud bike he even set off a car alarm when he rapped the throttle!

There oughta' be a law...or they oughta' enforce the law:rolleyes: .

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
new topic fail.

hth

·
Frog Whisperer
40,888 Posts
I was wondering, are they as loud from the saddle as they are from next to it? That has got to be just deafening

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
My big block Buick muscle car sets off car alarms, too.

Sounds awesome, btw.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a noise pollution law here in florida (tampa), but its obviously only for stereos. If they can be heard from more then 25 feet away you can get ticketed for it, but if you can hear a harley, or any other motor vehicles exhasut from more then 2 miles away, its completely ok.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm Sorry!

YOU'LL HAVE TO TYPE A BIT LOUDER! WHAT?! WHADJA SAY?!! WHAAAAAATT?!!!!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see which side the riders come down on regarding moving the factory if the union doesn't cave.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
My most recent bikes were a Harley Roak King Classic and a Yamaha V-Star....the Yammer was a lot llouder than the harley and made car alarms go off all over town. The reason guys get loud pipes is to annoy the fragile.

Just ignore it...or "they" win.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My friend's dad is a life long Harley rider. He's deaf in one ear. It's the same side as the exhaust on his bike.

I used to notice my old Harley riding neighbor would always put in an ear plug before taking his bike out.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Touch0Gray said:
I was wondering, are they as loud from the saddle as they are from next to it? That has got to be just deafening
I had a loud pipe on a rice burner some years ago. It sounded nice when you were in the saddle riding it but none of my buddies wanted to ride behind me for very long.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
My wife and I were out on a leisurely NNC session on a Saturday morning a while back and we got passed on a narrow two-lane road by about 40-50 motorcyclists. Scared the bejeezus out of me. You can't even think when you're surrounded by all that noise. It was all I could do to keep it upright and on the pavement. I'm sure riding a motorcycle is great and all that, but I really don't need to hear you half a mile away.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Why all the hate? Can't you be tolerant of others?

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
While the Governator is in office, the new bill to lower the volume of pipes will probably never pass.

Here in NY, it's beyond comprehension why the noise law isn't enforced. Most cops probably like the motorcycles, and the ones that don't, can't catch up with them. That's my guess.

·
9,790 Posts
I detest straight pipes on Harleys. I used to own a Harley - 1975 Sportster. Mine was quiet.
When I'm driving my truck, I make it a habit to run obnoxiously loud Harleys off of the road. Loud pipes save lives, my ass. They make me want to run you over and wear your gall bladder as a hat.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Cygnus said:
i know someone who named is dog 'harley'.

it's a loud dog, not put together very well.
And leaves a puddle on the floor where ever he parks himself..

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
there is loud exhaust then there is obnoxiously loud exhaust. I detest straight pipes, nothing sounds worse on a street legal vehicle (especially something that was never designed for performance) IMHO.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts