Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, I hate networking hardware problems. Grrrrrrr!

So.... our wireless router kept dropping connections to the new laptop, then re-connecting after a variable period of time. With the old rickety laptop (yes, there was duct tape involved) we just assumed it was a laptop issue. But the new laptop did it too.

Hmmmm, all the settings are right. Well, let me try updating the firmware on the router. Always the last thing to try.

Mistake.

All the router settings were saved, but no connection. No connection with the ports on the router either which worked before. Check settings. Nope. Start flipping switches on the router settings (firewall on by default on the router now? Off. Nope. Etc.)

Search net for proper settings. I am seeing a lot of "set your modem on bridge and pppoe on the router" advice... but that is not how it WAS set up when it worked. Do I want to try that, or just get a new router? At that point I said, / it! I am getting a new router so that I know the hardware is correct.

Oh, and the router had been crushed a few times, cracked antenna mount, etc. Yes, more duct tape.

So, I am going to get a new, unbroken router. I am thinking I will set the modem to bridge mode, and set the router to pppoe and let it authenticate to the ISP. Sound good to you folk in the know?

Oh, sbc dsl, and router to be determined by purchase. I think linksys wireless with 4 ethernet ports. But I can go with another brand should it be advised, linksys is just the cheapest right now.

Thanks for any advice you all might have.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
I think they are all about the same anymore. I use DLINK router and it works fine. 90% of my current problems are from firewall software or the Norton AV being misconfigured.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts