Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I noticed that my washing machine was starting to crap out. When I went to turn the washer shut off valves I discovered that they were "frozen" open. Nothing that I could do could get them closed. Not only that, but one of my main shut off valves would just turn without doing anything. I decided that it was time for "MR HOME REPAIR MAN". I took a half day off and picked up $36 worth of valves and copper at Menards. Three hours later, I finally finished. Maybe I should do this sort of thing for a living. before I decided to do it myself, I found out that a plumber would charge $300 for just the two washer valves, let alone one of the main shut offs. That really bites.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I hate car repairs even more. Transmission on my wife's Forrester needs major work. Prolly$1600 or so.Well, there goes the inc tax return.... Guy says"Yea, we don't see that very often." My boss (who had a car repair business years ago) "Subs have great transmissions. That's really odd." Yea us. I guess we're just "lucky":rolleyes:

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Kram59 said:
I hate car repairs even more. Transmission on my wife's Forrester needs major work. Prolly$1600 or so.Well, there goes the inc tax return.... Guy says"Yea, we don't see that very often." My boss (who had a car repair business years ago) "Subs have great transmissions. That's really odd." Yea us. I guess we're just "lucky":rolleyes:
Having to shut the main water valve down sucks especially if you need to work in basement of a multi floor house... and soldering buncha copper pipe joints and seeing them leak stinks as well... but dealing with gas pipes tops it all... I just don't like it... but I do it if I have to. Having always done most of work myself it's hard to pay someone else a buncha money to do it... just like bike wrenching...

·
nothing
120 Posts
6was9 said:
Having to shut the main water valve down sucks especially if you need to work in basement of a multi floor house... and soldering buncha copper pipe joints and seeing them leak stinks as well... but dealing with gas pipes tops it all... I just don't like it... but I do it if I have to. Having always done most of work myself it's hard to pay someone else a buncha money to do it... just like bike wrenching...
I don't like working on gas pipes either. I think I smell gas for days afterward. No fun.

·
24,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing that I refuse to work on, is a 220 volt line. 110 doesn't scare me at all (half the time I doen't even shut off the breaker), but 220 scares the livin' sh*t out of me.
"I think I smell gas for days afterward"
That's not the gas you smell. It's a chemical that they put into the gas so that you can smell something. Gas is odorless. They could make it smell like anything........ummmmm bacon.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
eagleson520 said:
you're right. I think I smell mercaptan for days afterward.
That's the thing... you just don't know whether it's leaking or you think you're smelling it...

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep

MR_GRUMPY said:
The only thing that I refuse to work on, is a 220 volt line. 110 doesn't scare me at all (half the time I doen't even shut off the breaker), but 220 scares the livin' sh*t out of me.
That's not the gas you smell. It's a chemical that they put into the gas so that you can smell something. Gas is odorless. They could make it smell like anything........ummmmm bacon.

Agreed, I've done a sh*t load of plumbing, wiring, etc, but when it came time to change out the fuse panel and service, I had a buddy who is an electrician do it, luckily, all he asked for was free golf for three days and free beer. It was still a bunch cheaper than hiring a contractor.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
eagleson520 said:
I don't like working on gas pipes either. I think I smell gas for days afterward. No fun.
Working on gaspipes made easy, fast and safe:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
You quickly learn to switch off the juice working with 220, it feels real funny when you touch a wire and your arm starts vibrating at 50Hz. Almost all instalations are equiped with a ground fault circuit interrupter anyway so the risk is minimal.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
keep on keepin on grumpy. (there is a place called grumpy's in mammoth..or used to be). grumpy is a big inside joke bw me and my bro (who I used to shove grey poupon down his nose). yeah just yeah!

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Man, Grumpy, I was almost in that same position. Had been replacing the old lines in one of my bathrooms and then found that the main valves were leaking. Thought I was going to have to do what you did, but lucked out and only had to replace the packing on the seals. Boy, that was a relief.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
rogger said:
You quickly learn to switch off the juice working with 220, it feels real funny when you touch a wire and your arm starts vibrating at 50Hz. Almost all instalations are equiped with a ground fault circuit interrupter anyway so the risk is minimal.
You must be in Europe. Here in North America, we vibrate at 60 Hz.........

·
Registered
727 Posts
phew! this thread isn't as hazardous as i thought it would be. when i saw that is was a plumbing thread with a photo attachment, i got a little nervous. but curiosity killed the cat......luckily it didnt kill my appetite. :p

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
You must be in Europe. Here in North America, we vibrate at 60 Hz.........
Yep, and we cranked Voltage up to 230.. BZZZZZZZZ!!!! Ouch! :D

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
If you think about it,

240V is only 2 110 lines together. The odds of hitting both at the same time and grounding yourself is fairly slim. I'm an electrical contractor, and yes, it's definately easier to do something with the power off, but sometimes you can't. What I don't like, is working on a service that can't be shut off, I figure if I cough or sneeze, I'm not going to like the consequences. One of my employees got hung up on a 110 line as he was kneeling in the sand under a house, and got hurt pretty bad. The Doc at the ER wasn't sure how to even treat him, since death was the typical result. And also, grabbing a wire won't kill you as long as you don't ground yourself and have the current flow through your heart. It only takes something like 6 milliamps to kill you, and trust me, that's not much.

·
24,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I was working in dirt, I'd treat 110 just like 220. The usual zaps that I get are when I replace plugs or two way switches. Your hand goes numb for a minute, and then it's back to work. The only time I hurt myself was when my hand jerked and hit something sharp.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
TUT2222 said:
240V is only 2 110 lines together. The odds of hitting both at the same time and grounding yourself is fairly slim. I'm an electrical contractor, and yes, it's definately easier to do something with the power off, but sometimes you can't. What I don't like, is working on a service that can't be shut off, I figure if I cough or sneeze, I'm not going to like the consequences. One of my employees got hung up on a 110 line as he was kneeling in the sand under a house, and got hurt pretty bad. The Doc at the ER wasn't sure how to even treat him, since death was the typical result. And also, grabbing a wire won't kill you as long as you don't ground yourself and have the current flow through your heart. It only takes something like 6 milliamps to kill you, and trust me, that's not much.
6 milliamps directly in the bloodstream will kill you, that's why in an operating theater evrything is grounded separately. In real life 6 milliamps is hard to achieve and electrocutions a rare, usually there's a water/electricity combo and most people are smart enough to avoid that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
If I was working in dirt, I'd treat 110 just like 220. The usual zaps that I get are when I replace plugs or two way switches. Your hand goes numb for a minute, and then it's back to work. The only time I hurt myself was when my hand jerked and hit something sharp.
We used to screw around with electric outlets in H.S. biology class. We would sit at these long lab tables and just under the table top was a standard 110 outlet for plugging in microscopes etc. Being a public school, one of the outlets was missing a cover, so my friend pulled it out and dared me to grab it. Not one to back down, I did, and then dared my friend to reciprocate.

Man, it was so funny how things evolved. In the beginning we were super scared and would barely touch the thing before jerking back in fear/pain. But after a few months we built up a ripe tolerance and would have contests to see who could hold onto it the longest. I set the record at 12 seconds (which is crazy long), but I went a couple seconds longer then I wanted to; my hand was so numb it wouldn't pull off and I had to use my free hand to knock it away. There was some definite pain, cramping, and numbness in the hours following.

If that wasn't stupid enough, my friend would touch one side of the outlet and I would touch the other, then we would call over people we didn't like; grab the arm to complete the circuit. I know it is pretty mean, and I feel bad about it now, however some reactions were priceless. There were a few who screamed, one guy just drooled all over himself, but most people just grunted and pulled away. One of the victims swore to people we were devil worshipers. Nobody ever really figured out our source, nor did we ever get caught.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Boardmill said:
We used to screw around with electric outlets in H.S. biology class. We would sit at these long lab tables and just under the table top was a standard 110 outlet for plugging in microscopes etc. Being a public school, one of the outlets was missing a cover, so my friend pulled it out and dared me to grab it. Not one to back down, I did, and then dared my friend to reciprocate.

Man, it was so funny how things evolved. In the beginning we were super scared and would barely touch the thing before jerking back in fear/pain. But after a few months we built up a ripe tolerance and would have contests to see who could hold onto it the longest. I set the record at 12 seconds (which is crazy long), but I went a couple seconds longer then I wanted to; my hand was so numb it wouldn't pull off and I had to use my free hand to knock it away. There was some definite pain, cramping, and numbness in the hours following.

If that wasn't stupid enough, my friend would touch one side of the outlet and I would touch the other, then we would call over people we didn't like; grab the arm to complete the circuit. I know it is pretty mean, and I feel bad about it now, however some reactions were priceless. There were a few who screamed, one guy just drooled all over himself, but most people just grunted and pulled away. One of the victims swore to people we were devil worshipers. Nobody ever really figured out our source, nor did we ever get caught.
We started the lessons on electricity with one of those electrostatic machines and the teacher appointed some volunteers to each hold one polarity and then say "Go on touch his nose" Zzpark! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts