Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really do! I usually ride during lunch - on rest days as the afternoon wears on I start feeling tired and blah, my appetite goes through the roof, and I frequently end up with a headache. I rest ~once/wk (usually Th or F) and also do at least one easy recovery ride/wk (Mon after full race weekend or Wed after a M-Tu hard block).

I've been going hard the last few weeks and probably need to take a rest week, but the thought of 3 or 4 days off the bike - headachy and eating everything in site - is almost too much to bear. Anyone have good advice for how I can get some rest without going crazy?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I thought that you were talking about the Giro d'Italia. I have had no excuse for my not doing work today while I sit here at my desk.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
per my wise coaching friend

Drink a beer, enjoy the youngins...

I have a whole WEEK of this to endure.

due to some lingering soreness/fatigue a coach friend of mine said I was not yet overtrained, I had "overreached" on my efforts over the last few weeks, and said I should take a WEEK off, which is killing me, but I am actually finally feeling better after Saturday's effort. So, Im going to softpedal a few rides just to get my spin on, but no hammering til Saturday. And yes, this along with the Giro rest day... is driving me crazy.

G

·
cross training is what seems to work best for me. I bike on thue, thur, sun, and run every other day and havent had a day off in almost 3 months though the running season will be over in a week. then i have to take time off. what helps then is thinking about how refreshed i will be when i return from a week or two break and be able to go for another coupla months every day.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
run run run. its not near as nice as biking. but its still much better'n nothin. funny, if i dont get exercise i become sickly dehydrated. hard to do hw when you cant see. or think. or hear.
-estone2

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MarkS said:
I thought that you were talking about the Giro d'Italia...
That, too - it just made the day even worse!

Running sucks (NTTAWWI). Actually, running is fine - plantar fasciitis sucks!

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
BugMan said:
Anyone have good advice for how I can get some rest without going crazy?
well... last week i got totaly liquored up at a work thing. lost count of how many vodka w/cranberry & lime cocktails i had :D must have worked, because i was flying over the weekend ;)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That must be what was wrong with me yesterday. It rained about 3-4 inches here yesterday, I mean poured, and it was quite gray and dark outside all day long. Plus, I have some strange cough that has appeared since my crit on Saturday, and I can't seem to shake it. I did another hard group ride on Tuesday evening, which featured the first of 4 serious rain storms during the last 30 minutes.

I feel somewhat depressed and lethargic. So, I went to the YMCA across from my house yesterday evening, and did some light weights on my upper body, and a pretty rigorous set of ab exercises. It did help lighten my mood.

I have my bike with me today, for a ride at some point, but I took a look at the chain and it has some light rust on it from the rain ride, and I didn't get a chance to apply lube early enough. I did hang the bike to drain, but I'm sure that some maintenance is needed.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
and running constantly reminds you how much you like cycling....
yeah, don't ya love it when you're 10 miles into a run, almost home, and your team rides by? :mad: it's the ultimate insult to add to your injury. literally and metaphorically :p

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
vanjr said:
For me biking is not as nice as running, but to each his/her own...
I used to be like that, then I grew a brain :p
kidding!
Actually, I used to greatly prefer running to biking, but I developed PFS and lost the ability to run more than 800m, and 800m made me tear up from the pain, and as such I found the bike to be mroe and more attractive.
Also, my parents work all summer and I live 8mi from my friends. I ran over twice. But once you run 8 miles your'e sweaty, and nasty, and too tired to do anything, so I started biking. And the bike became a playtoy and a commuting vehicle, and well, naturally the mileage made me faster, and faster, and so I liked it more and more.
I'm now recovered from PFS, but the bike grew on me to the point that it's primary now.
-estone2

·
Banned
657 Posts
BugMan said:
I really do! I usually ride during lunch - on rest days as the afternoon wears on I start feeling tired and blah, my appetite goes through the roof, and I frequently end up with a headache. I rest ~once/wk (usually Th or F) and also do at least one easy recovery ride/wk (Mon after full race weekend or Wed after a M-Tu hard block).

I've been going hard the last few weeks and probably need to take a rest week, but the thought of 3 or 4 days off the bike - headachy and eating everything in site - is almost too much to bear. Anyone have good advice for how I can get some rest without going crazy?
Dude, if you don't need a rest day you aren't riding hard enough.

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
venus said:
Dude, if you don't need a rest day you aren't riding hard enough.
Who said anything about not needing one - my legs are (were) fried. The physical rest was much needed - mentally they're hard to take (I love riding that much!).

That said, I've taken 3 of the last 5 days off and am chomping at the bit again! All you fartknockers better watch out now :D

·
CarbonFrame
401 Posts
I have also read about cyclists getting osteoporosis or having a bone age significantly older than it should be due to the low impact nature of cycling. I believe a little running and weight training actually helps keep us healthy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My rest days normally go something like this.

step 1. take off pants (only if initally wearing them)
step 2. acquire beer from refrigerator
step 3. sit on couch
step 4. grab remote & turn on tv
step 5. repeat steps 2-4

I usually do this until I have enough beer in me that I find the fishing shows on OLN entertaining... some of the best rest days ever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.