Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, there might be some people who ride today and decide that it is something they enjoy.

For every one of those people, there are three others who rode in today as a one time deal. There were four different people riding out in the lane of a busy road this morning. The road has a huge, clean shoulder that is perfect for riding. These guys choose to ride in the lane and make cars go around them. They won't be there on Monday morning but I will. Kind of like the first week after a critical mass ride but on a smaller scale.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
It is full on nuts in DC too but after years of special "Bike to Work Day" craziness we just go with the flow. By Monday everything will be back to the normal carziness that we are used to.

BTW we saw thousands of bike commuters today.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
"amateur day"

MB1 said:
It is full on nuts in DC too but after years of special "Bike to Work Day" craziness we just go with the flow. By Monday everything will be back to the normal carziness that we are used to.

BTW we saw thousands of bike commuters today.
I have some friends who normally are hard partiers, but won't go out on New Year's Eve. They call it "amateur day." Sort of the same thing.

I saw far more cyclists today than Wednesday or Thursday. All kinds, blowing through red lights, blocking the right turn lanes where they should be in the through lane, wearing *black* (everything).

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
You'd think you were in DC or something!

Fixed said:
....I saw far more cyclists today...... All kinds, blowing through red lights, blocking the right turn lanes where they should be in the through lane, wearing *black* (everything).
Sounds normal to me. :blush2:

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I like "amateur hour". I didn't ride today due to other reasons, but am wondering if there were any more people on the W&OD than normal. Especially with the weather. I get the impression there may have been 5 extra people on the MUT than normal.

· Registered
373 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I like "amateur hour". I didn't ride today due to other reasons, but am wondering if there were any more people on the W&OD than normal. Especially with the weather. I get the impression there may have been 5 extra people on the MUT than normal.
I ride the Custis and WOD west each morning, so I get a good picture of the commuter volume based on people heading into DC. Today was pretty light. This time of year, I normally see about 15-20 people each day. I'm guessing today I saw maybe 30- not a huge increase for Bike to Work day. The Tysons breakfast stop had 12 people come through by 8am, out of 90 registered.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
knucklesandwich said:
I ride the Custis and WOD west each morning, so I get a good picture of the commuter volume based on people heading into DC. Today was pretty light. This time of year, I normally see about 15-20 people each day. I'm guessing today I saw maybe 30- not a huge increase for Bike to Work day. The Tysons breakfast stop had 12 people come through by 8am, out of 90 registered.
Yeah, go figure....:rolleyes:

WABA has been advertising it on the radio and tv for at least a month, and the local NBC station did a piece on it this morning. I knew nothing would come of it. I bet that 90% of the people that register for BTW day are already bike commuters. It needs to be marketed differently.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Ah well.

knucklesandwich said:
If you are a casual commuter you just aren't prepared for rainy days.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
45 minute ride in this morning and I only saw one other cyclist....kind of sad...
There would have been more, but they couldn't figure out how to mount the gun rack on the bike.

· Bikaholic
47 Posts
Yeah, on my 1hr-ish commute this morning I only passed 1 person. But when i got to the ferry, it was much more crowded than usual. Quite a few roadies who most likely brought stuff into work yesterday and were just on their road bikes.

I say its good, for 1 day even 1 less car on the road is good...

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
BTW week seemed very quiet in my corner of LA. This year only about 40 cyclists showed up to the Blessing of the Bicycles, compared with perhaps 70 or 80 last year. There was a paucity of cyclists on BTWDay at the NoHo redline terminus where a special table was set up for the event. They were so happy to see me that they asked if I'd received a goodie bag before I even stopped pedaling.

This year I haven't seen many emails by the LA County Bike Coalition, and definitely not for this event. Attendance apparently depends heavily on grassroots publicity, which varies with who's running the grassroots orgs from year to year.

Come to think of it, this week seems to be the lowest # of (non-BMX riding) cyclists I've seen on the road in a long time...

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
The only annoying thing I recall from past BTW weeks was last year when some holier than thou dude said from behind me "Oh, so is this the one day of the year that you ride to work?". I was about halfway up the 76 stairs at the NoHo station (because the elevator is always jammed with humanity), hauling my dual-panniered racked up roadie, and was really tempted to relax my grip and let the bike fall back on him.

Dunno if it's just LA, but each distinct class of bicycler seems to keep to their own - roadies, townies, beach cruisers, messengers, industry insiders. I've given up talking to messengers altogether. They're too busy patting themselves on the back for how great they think they are. Sorry, no offense. Can't we all just get along?

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
I work at home so I'm already here. Taking the 29er out now for a spin--does that count?:D

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
our group

Here is our City Hall group. Yellow arrow is me.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
it's a perfect day here- clear blue skies, 70 degrees...

Didn't see too many new riders on the way in to work, but I just know the bike path is going to be clogged with morons on my way home.

I can also bet that 75% of them will be meandering all over the place with little white cables coming out of their ears...

Me-(ring bell)

they- still meandering

Me- (ON YER LEFT!)

They- still meandering

Me- (HOLD YER F'ING LINE!)

They- why are you being such a jerk!?!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.