Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe me, I've tried to get over my aversion to rain riding, but I'm afraid I have to face facts: I will never, ever, even slightly enjoy a ride in the wet. It's dangerous, cold, and worst of all, I hate having to clean all that black crap off my chain, rims and brakes when I get home. And guess what - it's raining again and I have a 25-mile commute home this evening.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John Nelson said:
I don't mind riding in the rain, but I really do hate the cleanup that follows. And if a lot of braking is required, I don't like the fact that it wears out my brake pads so fast.
I hear you. The brake pad thing is another reason to hate riding in the rain.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Pretty hard if you live in an area that rains a lot though. I rather have rain than trainer time, anytime. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
:17:

Sorry just kidding. Try embracing it. It's just another aspect of riding. It can't be sunny all the time. If your comfortable you'll be more relaxed. invest in some good rain gear? Maybe get a "rain bike" something you can beat up and not worry about. Personally I love the riding in the rain.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
uzziefly said:
Pretty hard if you live in an area that rains a lot though. I rather have rain than trainer time, anytime. :)
damn straight. I hate trainers. OP maybe you should just get a wet weather beater/commuter and not clean it every time. Just a quick wipe down to get the grit off the chain and leave it black and cruddy.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I'm with you...I hate riding in the rain. However, I live in the Portland, OR area where we get July, August and September as nice riding months...other than that it's hit or miss.

I'm trying to break my aversion to riding in the rain and don't mind it as much as I used to, but the clean up is a "PAIN!" I'll probably purchase some fenders at some point so I can do some group rides this fall/winter...but I still reserve the right to gripe about riding in the rain.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I won't ride if it's already raining, but if it starts raining and I'm already out there, I actually enjoy it. Some of my fondest memories are of ripping through a pounding rainstorm in July.

The cleanup sucks though. I typically ride steel too, and I'm really anal about making sure they don't rust. I did just buy my first plastic bike though.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Agreed, riding in the rain sucks. Fortunately, I live in an area where you can ride a lot and still avoid the rain most of the time. My experience with fenders, rain jackets and other rain gear has convinced me that nothing would make riding in the rain pleasant. Unless, I guess, if riding in the rain was the only alternative.

Whenever this issue is discussed, someone will pipe up and rave about the wonders of fenders or Showers Pass rain jackets. Well, it still sucks no matter what gear you have because even the best fenders won't keep your feet dry or the rain off your glasses. Even the best jacket won't keep you from getting wet from sweat. And no matter, what kind of gear, you still have to clean all the horrible gunk off your bike all the time if you want to keep it working well.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Getting caught in the rain when you don't think you will sucks.. Nothing like turning into a frozen cyclist sculpture..

Riding and getting caught in warm rain isn't bad. I enjoyed it last year a few times. It's been too damn cold around here to ride wet though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've really come to embrace riding in the rain. Of course living on Portland, OR you have to come to terms with it or your not gonna' get out much. Here is what works for me:

1) Get a rain bike - I needed to have something that I can absolutely destroy and not have it kill me. Riding in the rain a lot is pretty hard on bike stuff so it stings a lot less mentally when you are using old/cheap/cast off parts.

2) Install FULL fenders with courtesy/buddy flaps - This makes a huge difference in staying dry. It's amazing how much water your tires throw at you, a fender flap on the front fender can keep your feet a lot more comfortable over long hauls & a courtesy/buddy flap on the back makes a huge difference for everyone else riding behind you :)

3) Don't clean your bike (with a few caveats). There is nothing more soul crushing than taking your spotless bike out into the rain... knowing full well your gonna' have to spend another hour cleaning and lubing it all over again. I finally said screw it, I'm just going to let it get covered with road grime. Now I don't care about getting it dirty because it already is dirty and it's much less likely to get stolen cause it looks like hell. The caveats are; keep the drive train clean & stay on top of brake pad wear. My rain bike is a fixed gear so drive train maintenance is pretty simple.

4) Embrace getting wet, but you can be "comfortably wet". I've never found a way to stay dry in the rain. All the rain gear stuff seems to turn into a sauna after 10 minutes so that hasn't worked, the best luck I've had is with a decent rain jacket, leg warmers, gloves and booties. I still get kind of damp but it seems to be the best mix between "dry enough" and having enough ventilation to not overheat on rides.

Just my .02 - results may vary..

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
onebaduce said:
:17:

Sorry just kidding. Try embracing it. It's just another aspect of riding. It can't be sunny all the time. If your comfortable you'll be more relaxed. invest in some good rain gear? Maybe get a "rain bike" something you can beat up and not worry about. Personally I love the riding in the rain.
I've got all the rain gear you can shake a stick at – it makes riding in the rain only marginally more bearable. I suppose part of my aversion to riding in the rain is because I'm anal about cleaning my bikes. That's just a personality thing, I suppose. Still, the one good thing about riding in the rain is once you're home and dry, and you've had a shower and you get some warm dry clothes on, it's satisfying knowing that at least you've been out on the bike. The endorphins still do their thing regardless of the weather.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I won't ride if it's already raining, but if it starts raining and I'm already out there, I actually enjoy it. Some of my fondest memories are of ripping through a pounding rainstorm in July.
You sound just like me. I was reading this thread and contemplating writing just about what you wrote. I won't go out in the rain (unless it's a pre-organized ride) but I could care less if it pours while I'm out there. Over many years (into my 5th decade of cycling) I can remember every rainy ride vividly. The crappier the weather, the better I remember it.

I delight in riding with others who allow "negative" things to get to them. Those who hate rain, wind, hills, mud and snow are my carrot. The more they grumble, the harder I try and the more fun I have. Don't they realize that those conditions weren't put there to annoy us? They were put there to make us tougher, right? Sure they were.

I figure that (on most rides anyway) you only get wet once ~ I don't care if it's from sweat or rain. At least rain keeps me cool.

I just read an interview with Mark Cavendish's team director. He says that Cav never complains about conditions. He's just super happy to be racing his bike and "bad" conditions aren't a factor to him.

So folks, revel in the fact that you're able to ride. Realize that the conditions are the same for everyone who's riding at the same time & place as you. You attitude will make or break the day.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
If I lived in Portland, I guess that I would learn to like riding in the rain. Good advice though. I will keep riding if I get caught in the rain, and have sometimes enjoyed it, but I always hate cleaning up afterwards.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
abiciriderback said:
Don't think you could handle Seattle then. Today 55 with steady rain

Ray Still
I thought it was quite pleasant this morning--getting ready to go back out in it in a few minutes. But I spent most of the winter riding in mid-30s rain, usually twice per day.

I think the key is having the right clothes and a dedicated rain bike which you don't mind getting wet and dirty. I don't even bother drying my Cross Check off any more--I just put it away wet. On weekends it gets wiped down and the chain receives a fresh application of Finish Line Cross Country.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Here in the desert, it's a twice-a-year treat.

I'm sure I'd get tired of it if I had to do it often, but in Reno it's something we only get to do a few times a year. I'd just as soon pass in winter, when it's apt to be 35 degrees and windy, but I look forward to the rare spring-summer storms--the temp drops from 95 into the 70s, there's usually not much wind and it's like running through the sprinkler.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.