Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really just need to vent.

I live just south of San Francisco. My wife works in SF Chinatown and my kids go to Chinese school there on Saturdays. That means that every Saturday I have to drive to Chinatown twice, once to drop off my wife and kids then again to pick up the kids from school. After picking them up we eat lunch then they have piano lessons. It's paid for so we don't get refunds or discounts for being late or missing a day. The teacher's schedule is completely full so there's no rescheduling.

What upsets me about SF is that, seeminly at the drop of a hat, they decide to close off a major street that cuts off Chinatown, North Beach, downtown, Fisherman's Wharf, etc, from the rest of the city and the freeways (Market Street). You basically have to drive around the city to get out, which takes a long time because there are about a million people in the same boat as I am trying to get to the freeways, too. Basically, there are two freeways on the eastern side of the city but the west side just has surface streets.

Last week it was a St Patrick's day parade. I had to call my wife who had to leave work and I had her pick up the kids from school then wait as I fought traffic to get there to pick them up. I had just enough time to get the kids to McDonald's then to the piano teacher's house on time.

Today, they had another parade or something but this time I was able to get to the kids to pick them up on time but found that I could not get out of town. I barely got them to the piano teacher's house and was contemplating skipping lunch altogether because we were running that late. Fortunately, I had thrown some leftover pizzas into the oven before heading out to pick them up so we had just enough time to get home, grab the piano books, grab lunch, and eat it as we were driving to the lessons.

I've tried looking for a calendar of events so that I could anticipate such closures but could not find anything. It's a real crapshoot when it comes to heading out to SF.

Why do they have to shut down part of the city just to hold a parade? Who enjoys these things, anyway? I'd change schools for the kids but the next closest one is three times as expensive and they spend 2/3 of the time to teach them the same lessons so that they are crammed with information too quickly to take it all in.

Sorry for the rant.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
Maybe they should move ChinaTown to a more convenient location.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
terry b said:
It's really easy to get around in places like North Dakota, Mississippi, Arkansas and Wyoming.
You have never had to drive from Memphis to Little Rock when they're working on I 40

·
Registered
456 Posts
I love love love SF.

Regarding the above post - I think it'd be fine to throw your kids on the BART to send them to school. Just give 'em each a handgun for protection.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
fmbp said:
I love love love SF.

Regarding the above post - I think it'd be fine to throw your kids on the BART to send them to school. Just give 'em each a handgun for protection.
Or you could take them on the BART and pick them up on the BART and don't be a nancy.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
they don't have school where you live? weird.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Cities. Gag.

Great for visiting, arts, eating etc, and I enjoyed living in downtown Seattle for a while when I was 19 or so. But really, I can't ever see myself going back to live in one.

You must like it enough to put up with the hassles, just as I like living up here in the mountains enough to put up with the iconveniences, and lack of "things to do."

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
I'm actually visiting SF right now...

Remember, it's America everyone has "rights". Even parading through Chinatown to annoy Squidward "rights".

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I'd say... take them out of "Chinese" school. Those things are funded by Chinese nationalists to achieve cultural-nationalist goals based on whatever invented state high culture they wish to promote. There are other places you can take then for the language. Both the KMT and the CCP have projects like these. What we think of as "Chinese" culture is a recent invention by nationalists. It really doesn't reflect anything "ancient" or "authentic". They wouldn't be missing much and you wouldn't have to drive there.

See David Wu's essay in China Off Center if you don't think it has an ulterior motive.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I love San Francisco. It seems like every time I'm in town they've closed a street off and are having a really wonderful parade.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
KWL said:
I love San Francisco. It seems like every time I'm in town they've closed a street off and are having a really wonderful parade.
Last time I was there, it was a bunch of folks riding bikes nekkid to protest / support something or other.

They didn't officially close the street, but it had pretty much the same effect.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
call your city manager's office. I'm sure there is an easy online resourse that lists the parade permits and road closures.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
It never occurred to me that living in San Francisco makes sense if one is to rely on automotive transportation. I’ll stick with the stinky ’ol South Bay for the time being.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In Chinese school they teach reading, writing, and the spoken language in Cantonese and Mandarin. They don't teach them any propaganda BS. My wife does a good job of that herself.

Thanks to the events that happened on December 7, 1941, and the resulting paranoia and internment of Japanese-Americans that resulted, what used to be Japantown in SF became Chinatown. Thanks to the event that happened on October 17, 1989, the freeway that made it very convenient to get to North Beach, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, downtown, etc, was demolished. Now, it just sucks getting to these areas.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
Cities. Gag.
Great for visiting, arts, eating etc, and I enjoyed living in downtown Seattle for a while when I was 19 or so. But really, I can't ever see myself going back to live in one.
You must like it enough to put up with the hassles, just as I like living up here in the mountains enough to put up with the iconveniences, and lack of "things to do."
SF and Seattle are my two favorite American cities...well, maybe Portland, too. I grew up about where Squid lives, and I'm not sure i'd go back, but this mountain-snow/idiots-in-4WD truck routine gets old after awhile. Sometimes I envision myself with a nice little apartment overlooking the Bay, riding across the GG Bridge to Sausalito on Sundays.
Get on BART with the kids, Squid. Drop 'em and go do something, then pick them up and ride home with them. Teach them to appreciate public transit. They're the future of the country--they ought to know.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I've never been to SF. Sounds like I've made a wise choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts