Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I am a serious mt biker and own a stable of mt bikes. I want to start road cycling for cross training. I will likely to group rides at the B level. I need a training bike that is sufficient only, nothing fancy. I know its unfair since my mt bikes cost $2,500 to $3,000 but I want to spend a max of $750 on a road bike. so far I have found:

Felt F80 $756.67(@LBS w/tax incl)
Windsor Bristol $499.00
Tommasso Capri $469.00
Tommasso TR 300 $699.00
Windsor Fens $750.00
Ibex Aprisa elite 5000 $699.00

anybody have a strong opinion about any of these? is there another bike I should look at?
I leaning towards the Felt because it is at my local LBS

I know that if I spend $1,000 or $1,200 or $1,500 I could get a much better bike with more potential, but my budget is my my budget

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
bauerb said:
I need help. I am a serious mt biker and own a stable of mt bikes. I want to start road cycling for cross training. I will likely to group rides at the B level. I need a training bike that is sufficient only, nothing fancy. I know its unfair since my mt bikes cost $2,500 to $3,000 but I want to spend a max of $750 on a road bike. so far I have found:

Felt F80 $756.67(@LBS w/tax incl)
Windsor Bristol $499.00
Tommasso Capri $469.00
Tommasso TR 300 $699.00
Windsor Fens $750.00
Ibex Aprisa elite 5000 $699.00

anybody have a strong opinion about any of these? is there another bike I should look at?
I leaning towards the Felt because it is at my local LBS

I know that if I spend $1,000 or $1,200 or $1,500 I could get a much better bike with more potential, but my budget is my my budget
We all hate these threads because no one can really answer that question for you, and the quality difference between most of these bikes is not significant enough for there to be a "right answer."

But you've answered it yourself... you can get the Felt at your LBS. That is hands down the way to go, esp. for a new road rider who might want additional setup advice. The no-name knock off stuff on the internet (Tomasso, et. al.) has nothing to recommend it.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
If it fits go with the LBS. Avoid the mail order.

·
Registered
187 Posts
First and foremost, get the bike that'll fit you best! If that means paying a bit more, it'll be worth the extra cost down the road. However, temper my earlier suggestion and get something that's reasonably priced. You may discover that you hate road biking or worse, come to love it and develop a vicious case of bike lust.

Good luck,
Sam

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
jtolleson said:
We all hate these threads because no one can really answer that question for you, and the quality difference between most of these bikes is not significant enough for there to be a "right answer."

But you've answered it yourself... you can get the Felt at your LBS. That is hands down the way to go, esp. for a new road rider who might want additional setup advice. The no-name knock off stuff on the internet (Tomasso, et. al.) has nothing to recommend it.
agreed

LBS support for new rider is big advantage - it's an intro to the LBS and local rides/groups/blubs

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I'm not exactly a new rider...

15-20 years ago I was a competitive cyclist on the road, mostly as cross-training for nordic ski racing. Now I am sport class in mt. biking. I know I won't hate road biking because I have quite a bit of experience.( although it was a long time ago). I'll talk to my LBS about the Felt. thanks

M.J. said:
agreed

LBS support for new rider is big advantage - it's an intro to the LBS and local rides/groups/blubs

·
Registered
804 Posts
For your first road bike the LBS is the only way to go. Make sure you get fit on it too. Don't settle for a "you look like a 56" fitting either. Have them fit you and tell you why they're doing what they're doing. Down the road when you know what works is when mail order becomes an option.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's The Fit, Stupid!

Get the bike that fits!!! How many times do I have to say it??

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
bauerb said:
15-20 years ago I was a competitive cyclist on the road, mostly as cross-training for nordic ski racing. Now I am sport class in mt. biking. I know I won't hate road biking because I have quite a bit of experience.( although it was a long time ago). I'll talk to my LBS about the Felt. thanks
It sounds like you know about fit and components and most of the things you need to know about road bikes. I agree with the other posters, that if buying new amongst the ones listed above, get the one at your LBS. However, question for you, you sound like a good canidate to buy a used bike. You could get a pretty good 4 or 5 year old bike in that price range. A little more effort requiried on your part to find a used bike that fits you, but certainly doable.

Scot

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
In that price range I'd probably look to score something off eBay or craigslist or the classifieds here. If you're using it for a training bike and plan to put a decent amount of miles on it get something with decent wheels and with a drivetrain won't wear out in a few thousand miles. You're also probably strong enough that you shouldn't need a triple. If it was me I'd be looking for a steel frameset with 8 or 9 speed Dura Ace or Chorus. But you have to be comfortable working on your bike and know what fits and what doesn't.

·
Registered
449 Posts
used

I agree with the posts suggesting used. If you were someone completely new to riding I wouldn't suggest it as you would need more help with fitting, etc. It sounds though, like you know enough to figure out what fits, relative value of different frames and components, etc. to successfully shop used. In the price range you're looking at you probably can find something a few years old -- good quality frame with 105 or Ultegra and in good shape. That probably will make you happier in the long run compared with a new but low-end bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts