Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever heard of this one??

We have a 15 month old Dell computer with Vista on it. Shoot me, shoot me now!

OK..all of a sudden..we can't open any email attachments. Nor would Powerpoint open any file, nor Word, nor Adobe acrobat...every thing comes up "not responding". Nothing works. At all. Just internet and email. Any ideas??

We are about to throw this POS out the window and buy a Mac. Help!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
wow.....you hate vista???? That's hard to believe.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Do a repair on office under control panel / programs and features / microsoft office.

If that doesn't work it may not be vista, just the fact that office 2007 is just as bloated.

I have seen where Vista loses the ability to add or remove any application, in that case sometimes it's a
'reformat the hard drive and start over' if an OS repair doesn't work.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
I just finished sorting this out for my wife's Aunt. She was having similar issues. There are 3 possible solutions:
1) Dell computers with Vista and Office 2007 apparently come preinstalled with an application called Cyberlink (Outlook Addin Startup) or something like that. This apparently causes no end of problems with outlook. This wasn't the issue in my case (wasn't a Dell) but look it up on the web. It is referenced all over the place.
2) Repair the PST and OST files for your outlook. This is pretty easy to do. Just check help or online.
3) In our case, the problem was a corrupted form cache. We just found and renamed a file called frmcache.dat. After restarting outlook, it ran much better.

Good luck!

Derek

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Vista has surprised me. It's been trouble free and I've had none of the compatability issues I've heard about. My only gripe is start up time. It might be because you got a Dell.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
I actually have very little personal experience with vista.....and I bet I only re-start my xp machine once every other week. I generally just close the lid and let it hibernate....It has been good to me so far....

·
What the Hell is going on
5,143 Posts
Sorry, I have a Mac.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
so are you saying you don't need to run either anti-virus OR anti-malware on Vista?....(I had never heard that before, not saying it isn't so, just that I had never heard it)

edit.....hmmmmmmm I just found this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus-partners/windows-vista.aspx
Vista does not need it, nor did XP. Sure there are security holes in the OS just as there are ones in OSX. This is an inevitability and expecting a 100% secure piece of software is insanity.

If you are a competent user that doesn't open up random email's attachments, download software from untrusted sites or use programs like limewire to get your music/videos, you can get away without the anti software.

A large reason why I tell people to not install this software is that they will generally attach themselves to events in the system. For example, Norton is very well known for crawling through the system and attaching on to everything it can including when you receive an email. While this may be a nice addition in theory, in practice it just adds an unecessary inefficiency to your system.

I have been running Vista without any of this software for as long as I can remember (since Beta 1) and have not had a single viral or spyware problem to date.

So don't believe every thing you read on the internet. Over the lifespan of both Vista and XP, Vista has had less security problems in the same amount of time. You can read more about this here: http://blogs.technet.com/security/a...dows-vista-one-year-vulnerability-report.aspx

Also try not to think that any OS ever needs "anti-" software because in most cases it is the users that initiate the action, expecting much different results.

As a side note to show you an example of how things about Microsoft get blown way out of proportion, Long Zheng posted an article (http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090130/uac-security-flaw-windows-7-beta-proof/) about a security hole in Windows 7 where a script could deflate the UAC setting of the OS "without the user knowing." The problem with this story is that the user would need to run the script and let the system restart. In other words, the user has two chances here to mess up before the flaw is caught. On a secured system, the user would also have to give specific access for the script to run. Microsoft has since fixed the issue (forcing an admin elevated prompt everytime the UAC global setting is changed), but the story was blown way out of proportion as a gaping hole in the OS rather than a blackhole in the user's intelligence.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
jsedlak....interesting, thanks........frankly I would never let Norton live on ANY of my machines and have tried to choose the AV with the smallest footprint (CA-etrust)
I have never had a spyware or viral problem either, (the AV has only once is 8 years even spotted one coming in)

My kids on the other hand...NEED anti virus and anti malware.......... :rolleyes:

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Neither hibernate or sleep worked well on my old XP laptop. Both work flawlessly on my new Vista laptop. I've been very happy with Vista. I spent the time at the very beginning streamlining Vista and it's worked without a hitch for six months now. I usually reboot only when I have too and most of the time that's when installing new software or updates. Both my laptops have been Dells. Dells "Dock" (a ripoff of Apple) also works nicely. I have absolutely no complaints with my laptop or OS.

P.S. I use very few Microsoft products. Firefox is my browser and Thunderbird my email client. Open Office is my productivity suite and most of my other products are freebies. The only thing I paid for was Norton Security Suite 2009 and it's performed excellently.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Get real

jsedlak said:
If you are a competent user that doesn't open up random email's attachments, download software from untrusted sites or use programs like limewire to get your music/videos....
In the real world, that is one monumental qualifying statement. :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
In the real world, that is one monumental qualifying statement. :D
Indeed, but (and this speaks to TOG's comment about children) this is why Windows has features in UAC to counter this. I believe in Windows 7 there is also a feature that allows you to unchange anything a user does when he/she logs out.

UAC is there for a purpose, but people don't use it correctly. For instance, you could set it up so your child can't install anything without an elevated prompt. Because you are smart enough not to make them an admin, it can elevate to a password prompt. Thus they are blocked unless you give them direct permission.

And yes, I admit Microsft did a horrendous job with informing the masses on how to use all this shtuffs.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
jsedlak said:
Indeed, but (and this speaks to TOG's comment about children) this is why Windows has features in UAC to counter this. I believe in Windows 7 there is also a feature that allows you to unchange anything a user does when he/she logs out.

UAC is there for a purpose, but people don't use it correctly. For instance, you could set it up so your child can't install anything without an elevated prompt. Because you are smart enough not to make them an admin, it can elevate to a password prompt. Thus they are blocked unless you give them direct permission.

And yes, I admit Microsft did a horrendous job with informing the masses on how to use all this shtuffs.
unfortunately, my CHILDREN range from 19 to 27 and are either away at school, or married with a spouse who is NOT a power user, (she is pretty good)

UAC ???? is that just in vista?....my daughter is running x-p home, and seriously needs to be able to limit her husbands ability to make (or allow) changes.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
UAC is Vista and on, however you can limit user's actions in XP as well. The main difference is that with UAC you can control how elevation happens. In XP you get an error saying you don't have the privelages. For example if that occured during an install in XP a user with correct permissions would have to log into the system to perform the install. In Vista this can be allowed by the user typing in a password.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts