Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
The AspireAssist | Non-Surgical Weight Loss Procedure

This essentially is bulimia without having to stick your finger down your throat. A tube gets implanted in your stomach and it just sucks the food out.

Its not hard to exercise self restraint and loose weight. If i can do it anyone can.

The best way to loss weight is the ELF diet.

I did it about 8 years ago, the pounds just fell off. No surgery, no starvation, no huge expense. Easy to follow, no weird food combinations, etc.

ELF = Eat Less Food

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Reactions: BCSaltchucker

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
The best way to loss weight is the ELF diet.

I did it about 8 years ago, the pounds just fell off. No surgery, no starvation, no huge expense. Easy to follow, no weird food combinations, etc.

ELF = Eat Less Food
I dropped 10kg in a few months and they've stayed gone. Easy. Sub diet soda for regular soda. Ride the damn bike more.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I hate people who lack empathy, and who try to make themselves feel superior by criticizing the choices of others.

------------------

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
It's a bit like saying why isn't everybody smart? I'm smart. You're smart. Just turn off the TV and read a book, right? It's not hard.

Sometimes, it's a matter of life choices, or will power. But sometimes it isn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
I dropped 10kg in a few months and they've stayed gone. Easy. Sub diet soda for regular soda. Ride the damn bike more.
You did it DESPITE the diet soda. That stuff is awful for you and does weird things to your metabolism. That one of the reasons sales of diet soda are down- science has not been kind to it. . . .

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,145 Posts
I think it's OK to have a faucet on your stomach to let out excess food... as long as you're not allowed to throw what ever comes out of it away... you have to eat it again.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
It can be really hard to escape one's environment and culture, which have a huge impact on weight. It's why well over 50% of adults in parts of the rural south are obese and very few people in Boulder, Colorado are. It's not that people in Boulder are so much more virtuous. If everyone around you only eats junk food, it's hard to be the one person who eats healthy. Even worse if you live in an area with low fresh food availability. Lack of understanding about how to exercise and why to do it is very widespread, not to mention cultural hostility to people who take exercise too seriously.

On top of that, there's the genetic lottery. While genetics are far from an excuse for obesity, genetics can make some pay a much higher price for bad diet or lack of exercise than others. I'm fairly fortunate. I've had times in my life where I got little exercise and had a terrible diet, and I've had times when I was doing two workouts a day and eating very healthy. My weight only increased 20lbs during the former, and still stayed within normal BMI. I've had friends who followed the exact same diet and exercise patterns and ballooned 50+ lbs well into the obese range when they were not being religious about their diets and exercise.

The fact of the matter is that a certain percentage of the population will be obese, for whatever reason. For some, devices like this could save their lives while simultaneously increasing quality of life. Not to mention saving public healthcare dollars.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I really hate the Biggest Loser show. The participants starve themselves and perform unreasonable amounts of exercise that no normal person could do if they worked for a living. Then the reward is to have all that excess skin cut off. Bah.

I struggle to stay in shape, if I didn't love biking and running I'd be huge. I can easily see being overweight, especially as the reality of being overweight causes depression and even more and more eating to cope.

It's all about lifestyle and choices imno.

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
I hate people who lack empathy, and who try to make themselves feel superior by criticizing the choices of others.

------------------
I lack empathy for those that make poor choices... so you must feel superior by hating me. Now does the fact that i choose to be unempathetic make you hate yourself?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
------------------
Well, I don't "hate" them, but this was exactly my thought. Surely you, pittcanna, with your compulsion issues, can understand that behavioral patterns can be difficult to alter, for a great many reasons. Yes, you managed to change your eating habits and lose weight (but you did get heavy in the first place, so you were unable to control it at least for a time), but you (like all of us) no doubt have other habits you'd like to alter. It ain't always easy. I believe these procedures are oversold and are sometimes dangerous, and should be a last resort, but for some people they are an answer.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
The NYT article points out something that has been observed previously, but the individual cases provide a rather stark and dramatic set of examples of the fact that human metabolism is geared to go into an energy conservation fasting mode when you try to lose weight, and fights back hard to rebound to the original heavier weight.

I had a fairly minor example of this when I spent a week traveling to/from the East Coast, sitting in airplanes, airports, 12-hour grant review panels, etc, where exercise was impossible and eating well was quite challenging. I gained 5 or 6 pounds, and am still trying to grind it off again (I've been home for 9 days).

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The NYT article points out something that has been observed previously, but the individual cases provide a rather stark and dramatic set of examples of the fact that human metabolism is geared to go into an energy conservation fasting mode when you try to lose weight, and fights back hard to rebound to the original heavier weight.
What I wondered after reading the article is did these folks alter their physiology by losing all that weight or did the just return to the condition they were in prior to being obese?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
There are two things in this world I can't stand; people who show no empathy, and the morbidly obese.
May your next airplane flight find you wedged between two autistic fat guys.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A friend of ours has a 14 year old son that is grossly obese. He has a medical condition that has caused it, but this looks like it could be the right thing for him.

His son had bacterial meningitis when he was 18 months old. It darn near killed the child, with a several week hospital stay and some brain damage due to swelling. Among several of the complications one they didn't expect was that the brain injury would cause the child to have NO sensation of being full. He always feels hungry. He literally will eat himself to death if the food is available. The urge to eat is more overpowering than the pain of his stomach tearing (he has been hospitalized twice for that, and kept eating after his stomach had burst.)

If you go to their house all food is under lock and key, the local restaurants that deliver have instructions not to accept orders from them. (It actually took court orders to stop a couple of them from delivering.) When they visit our house we have no food left out anywhere, including dog food, and someone is always in the kitchen.

Dealing with the child's constant asking for food is one thing, but enduring the comments from know-nothing-self-righteous-busy-bodies is probably the worst part of dealing with his condition.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Its not hard to exercise self restraint and loose weight. If i can do it anyone can.
Well your situation is not everyone else's. Many people eat for emotional reasons. The body's natural response to stress is to seek food that is high in calories. These are sweet and oily and for health salt was also desirable. Notice what fast food has in common with our paleolithic natural response to stress. Stress used to be caused by a dire change in circumstances that meant you had to either expand a huge amount of energy searching for food, or shelter or store reserves of energy on your body as food sources diminished. So now in the 21st century we are still facing stress but typically without the need to expend a huge amount of calories or facing famine.
One thing people need are the resources to identify the causes of stress and to have strategies to deal with that stress without feeding their faces. It's a hell of a lot easier to say than do. It also helps if you have the financial resources to source nutritious food.
Off to ride my bike to work this morning. :)

1 - 20 of 103 Posts